Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
How to make a long distance sling? (Read 6319 times)
Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Re: How to make a long distance sling?
Reply #30 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 4:24pm

Drakolith wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 7:53pm:
Would attaching a leather finger loop to a peice of fishing line and threading a lead fishing weight to the middle work?

No - this "sinker" would only work when hanging further out as the bullet (while slinging the sling). Accelaration or "g-force" (!) which is generated by rotation any masses in a circle does not increase with wight or mass, but with radius. So it would have to be bounded with a small piece of extra cord (7 -10 cm would be long enough) at the release-end of pouch to get some distance (extra radius) to the center of gravity of bullet. The "sinker" must hang on underneath the pouch. Then first it would open the pouch faster than it could be done by the bullet itself.

Also it wouldn't effect in higher ranges, but only to avoid the spin of bullet and "magnus effect" because you have to note: This extra mass must be slung too - so it can't result in higher ranges, because this extra portion of energy stay back (remains behind) in the sling.

If you want to eliminate the "pouch (and release cord) resistance" completly you have to split it - so the bullet can slip out through two of "lips" while release cord for release moves only for 4 - 5 cm. Only this would really save energy for better ranges.

This type of "sling" is called "hunt(ing) sling" (from "hunter sling" in opposite to "sheperd sling" - german: "Jagd-schleuder" in opposite to "Hirten-schleuder"), because it is far more silent and has a much shorter release time (what also effects in higher accuracy). The pouch looks like an ypsilon (Y) or a "T" - in principel like a "T-shirt" while having "hands up". The retention cord is linked / sewn at the "tribe" of T (respectively at the tribe of Y).

This high effect / advantage I know very well, because I discovered it already in 1997 and build and used it since then for a very high number of "throws" (shots). The win of range is somthing about 10 % up to 15 % - this depends of course in weight of the release cord: If release cord has a lot of mass in itself, then the advantage by "forking" it (is this the right expression for "give it a crotch" ?) is much higher.

If release cord already is a very light-weight type (like your "projekt"), then the advantage can not be so high anymore - perhaps 5% only. But "105 m instead of "100 m" and also 420 m instead of 400 m after all.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2017 at 4:47am by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #31 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 4:38pm

We call it a captive release

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #32 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 4:39pm

It only moves enough to release the projectile but then the release cord is not laughing around everywhere

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #33 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 4:40pm

Flapping

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #34 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 4:48pm

Burner wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 4:38pm:

"Captive release" can't mean "forked pouch" or "crotched pouch", and your declaration / explanation of it's funktion or "sense" is an other too.

But the handcraft (the making of) which is shown in your image nevertheless is made marvelous and indeed a part of some "hunting slings" I know.

But that interests me (german guy): "Flapping" means as much as "laughing around" ??? I thought "laughing" means to scream "Ha-ha-ah ..." while rolling under the table.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #35 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 5:14pm

Burner wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 4:38pm:

Okay - perhaps your "missunderstanding" is generated by a failure of mine, because Drakolith hasn't said only:  "Would attaching a leather finger loop to a peice of fishing line and threading a lead fishing weight to the middle work?", but: " Would attaching a leather finger loop to a peice of fishing line and threading a lead fishing weight to the middle work? When you release would the sinker move down the release side and off? If this would work that will eliminate pouch resistance."

That "to eliminate pouch resistance" makes clear his intention and the funktion what he was looking for.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #36 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 5:17pm

The pouch only moves enough to release the projectile and the release cord stays very close to your fingers

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #37 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 5:21pm

So for a sling that is designed to throw heavy artillery in example baseballs you need a very long sling and having the release cord captive means that a 58 inch slang does not become 116 inches

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #38 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 5:22pm

Burner wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 5:17pm:
The pouch only moves enough to release the projectile and the release cord stays very close to your fingers

Okay jax, thank you very much - I already could read your words in the comment before, but the "captive release" isn't topic of this thread.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #39 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 5:28pm

Understood, I was just going on what you had previously posted that the release cord should only move 4 to 5 cm which is what the captive release cord does. "you want to eliminate the "pouch (and release cord) resistance" completly you have to split it - so the bullet can slip out through two of "lips" while release cord for release moves only for 4 - 5 cm. Only this would really save energy for better ranges"

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #40 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 5:30pm

Additionally the topic of this thread is how to make a long-distance sling and as that is all I do I'm trying to give you some pointers. Wink

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #41 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 5:48pm

@jax - is the form of pouch to this "captive release sling" like an "Y" ?

If not - how does the pouch open while moving by 4 - 5 cm only?

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #42 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 5:59pm

This"cicada" pouch is meant for golf balls but I couldn't find one so I inserted a tequila cork erg Grin Grin It only dumps open enough to release and it doesn't have to be a y shape but if you were throwing lead glandes you could make a y-shaped pouch. I have a few baseball slings that my dad made that have a y-shaped pouch.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #43 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 6:04pm

Because most of my slings are designed for heavier artillery they have a wing or some sort of airfoil on them to facilitate release orientation.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #44 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 11:28pm

Burner wrote on Aug 9th, 2017 at 6:04pm:
... a wing or some sort of airfoil on them to facilitate release orientation.

Aha! I see ... ähm ... this seems to be a very clever idea too ... but a small number of rounds slung "overhead" (not "overhand"!) would winding up (= twist) the cords if pouch can't turn the same number of turns in the same direction.

I mean, the "artfoil", flag or "fin" prevents the pouch for making all NECESSARY (!) turns. So it works not optimal for each slinging style - right?!!

10 rounds (counterclockwise when slinging with right hand) for running the "helicopter style" normally gives 10 turns (counterclockwise) to the pouch , and if the "artfoil" makes those turns nearly impossible, than the sling winds up a little bit / partially - or not?!

Normally the pouch must have the possibility to turn absolutly free, right than if you want to throw best ranges / longest distances (what needs a large number of "rpm" or "rounds per second" and generates the highest "drag" the same time).

For example see that guy (David McNamara) in the last 30 seconds of the following vid: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK3H45Qld3k

This bloody devil indeed slings more than 3 rounds per second (= something over 180 rpm - perhaps 200 rpm) ! ! !

But anyway - thank you for upload and show your pictures!
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2017 at 2:25am by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)