Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
How to make a long distance sling? (Read 6320 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: How to make a long distance sling?
Reply #15 - May 7th, 2017 at 2:53pm

Ok I already started and let me just say...

I have regrets.

It's REALLY tough to stop all the strands tangling and sticking together (it's kind of what the strands are designed to do so it was to be expected) and I've already made a few mistakes just because keeping track of 7 very thin strands isn't the easiest task but it does seem to be making a thin, usable and strong piece so I just need to fight through it, do another one (oh boy...) and then add a thin pouch. I'll let you all know how it turns out and more importantly if it's worth the effort.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #16 - May 8th, 2017 at 2:38am

Kick wrote on May 7th, 2017 at 1:10pm:
I'm thinking if I use a braiding board I can get a pretty tight weave and really thin. Hopefully it'll be strong enough.

why do you want to weave it?
it's already strong enough

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #17 - May 8th, 2017 at 7:38am

Well it's only single threads so I need to combine a few to hold them together and I stupidly decided it was a good opportunity to use the braiding board again. I've been going a bit slower nite and its not getting add tangled so I think it should be alright from here on out.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #18 - May 8th, 2017 at 8:56am

Kick wrote on May 8th, 2017 at 7:38am:
Well it's only single threads so I need to combine a few to hold them together

i still dont understand.
the single thread is twisted or braided?

i have used only braided material(single strand) but i believe that twisted thread alone will hold too.
braiding with such thin strands must be very frustrating
and i think its pointless since you can buy braided stuff if the material you use isn't already braided.

edit : except from spending your time , you are using more than 3 times the length you would use if you just made it single strand

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #19 - May 8th, 2017 at 10:31am

It's only barely twisted and held together with a waxed coating. It pulls apart very easily and when used to make bow strings you have to cut multiple threads to make bundles then combine those bundles to get the right thickness of string. Basically for this sling I'm making singular bundles and I just wanted to see how it turned out in the braiding board. It's looking quite nice and is making a really thin cord which should be perfect for distance.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #20 - May 14th, 2017 at 7:34pm

Kicktheotter; I would like to see the finished product. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #21 - May 15th, 2017 at 3:24am

I've given up on trying to braid it as it was taking far too long but as soon as the serving thread for my bow turns up (still waiting!) I'm going to serve the whole thing which will still give really thin cords so should work out well. It'll also protect the cords and make it so that if they are damaged I can just replace the serving. As soon as it's done I'll post it up.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #22 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 3:50pm

Well the serving thread turned up quite a while ago and I finished my bowstring but I've been so busy with work and I'm that forgetful that I've only just finished the sling. Seeing as bow string sling is a mouthful and slingbows are already a thing, I dub it the bowsling! I had at one point intended to wrap the entire length of the cords in the serving string but after doing the bowstring I realised that was crazy idea so I've only done the end of the release cord to make a tab and the end of the loop to help hold it together. I think it came out looking real nice. It's pretty long; from pouch to release cord, it's around 90cm and about 91 or 92cm on the retention cord side. The pouch is smaller than I usually make them and the style of pouch I can never remember the name of Cheesy Is this butterfly or was that a different one? Anyway I'm guessing this will get quite a bit of distance. Next time I'm at the Summer cottage and can test it out without fear of hitting something or someone I'll let you guys know.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #23 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 3:22am

what's the final diameter/thickness of the cord?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #24 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 10:56am

I still want to see the fully served version. That would be quite a sight lol. It looks good. Let us know how it works for ya.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #25 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 2:16pm

I would but I think it would actually end up a bit too stiff to use. At least that's the excuse I'm using to save myself the work and save my fingers Cheesy It's about 3mm thick so pretty thin but I've actually already made an even thinner sling just today! I haven't got pictures yet, but I braided three strands of the serving string together with just a simple braid in the way I usually do so the loop and each side of the split pouch is 3 strand, the main cords 6 strand. It's flat braid so it's about 2mm by 1mm. Very thin. It's only split pouch for the moment, I'm going to be "filling it in" as the sides are just far too thin to use as is really. I've already tried out how comfortable it is wrapped around my wrist and I managed to forget I had it on so it's probably going to be my everyday-carry Cheesy I'll be getting up pictures soon.

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Central U.S. Great Lakes Area
Reply #26 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 7:34pm

For mine I use 2-ply sisal, thickness is about 2.5mm and tapers at the release cord. The pouch is made of two leather strands. For ammo I use a lead fishing weights, they are already in the perfect shape of a glande and I can throw them about 400 meters

A knifeless man is a lifeless man.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #27 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 3:57am

TobyAttle wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 7:34pm:
I can throw them about 400 meters

how do you know the distance? what did you use to spot where they landed?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #28 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 9:59am

400  meters is an EXTREMELY impressive distance.  We used to have another slinger here, Mr Boss, who attained such a distance. Maybe.

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Central U.S. Great Lakes Area
Reply #29 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 6:07pm

johan wrote on Jun 7th, 2017 at 3:57am:
TobyAttle wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 7:34pm:
I can throw them about 400 meters

how do you know the distance? what did you use to spot where they landed?

I was in a field that had posts in the ground for construction purposes, each about 10 meters away from each other and laid in a grid pattern. I painted the weight bright pink so I could see it on the ground, but looking back I suppose the actual distance was closer to 350 meters, and I was only able to achieve this distance once using the pirouette technique and a sling that was 4.5 feet from the release knot to the center of the pouch. I was very lucky with that shot and I don't think I could repeat it, the average places the projectiles had landed were between 210-275 meters. The fishing weights are 55g.

A knifeless man is a lifeless man.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man)