Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Staff Sling (Read 3950 times)
JustMe_2016
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Staff Sling
Apr 28th, 2017 at 12:24pm

What's the maximum range for a staff sling with 200 g stones ?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Staff Sling
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 1:21pm

how long is the staff, how long is the sling, how tall is the slinger, how fast can they move their arms, where on the staff is the release loop, is it in a notch, how deep is the notch.

So the answer is probably: between 10 and 500 metres Smiley 

A lot of different factors go into a throw with any sling, and staff slinge are no different.

If you were the hulk and used  20 foot long staff with a 25 foot long sling and were slinging at a puny god who was a few miles away. I reckon you could hit him Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

JustMe_2016
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 1:48pm

a 5 ft staff for an average height person with a 1 year of training

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 2:28pm

what Curious Aardvark said.

i dont think it needs 1 year of training for max distance...

now i think of it, i have never handled a good staff sling before
its time to make one Wink

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 4:22pm

As was said, what your asking has too many variables. For example my max distance with just a normal sling might be 3 times shorter than someone else. The staff sling is no different.

You need a question that has only one possible answer like what is the best tasting cake. German Chocolate. Or what is the best trilogy ever? Clearly the Lord of the Rings. No other options.

IP Logged

JustMe_2016
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 4:33pm

is 500 m a distance that can be reached ?

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2017 at 4:52pm

oh i forgot, you were specific about stone weight

JustMe_2016 wrote on Apr 28th, 2017 at 4:33pm:
is 500 m a distance that can be reached ?

yes with optimal design, cords, pouch, lead projectile,training....

i believe that 150m with 200g stones will be more than easy since its easy with a hand sling

check this http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/weapons/staffsling.html

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2017 at 1:42pm

five foot staff = how long is the sling ? lol

Height of person is less relevant than how fast they can move their arms. Although with a staff sling, it's generally the last part of the arc where you really put the oomph in.

For example i can probably throw something further than some skinny wimp who is a lot taller than me Smiley

Unless that person happens to be hathor julius bjornson, who is around 7 feet tall in footwear and one of the three strongest men in the world. More importantly he has enormous explosive strength.
I reckon he could make 500 metres with a 5 foot staff and 5 foot sling attached.
remember the length of the sling is at least as important as the length of the staff.

Also it depends on the type of staff sling.

I prefer a hoopack style. Which is a staff with a Y shaped end piece.
Easier to make and it adds more spin to your missile, which - with the right missile - will add distance and accuracy.

Staff slings are great - but they do add a lot more variables to a question like: 'how far...'

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #8 - May 1st, 2017 at 9:15am

today i tried a staff sling i made in the weekend
it was windy ,my first time, jagged stones,uneven ground etc
i don't think i surpassed 120m

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - May 1st, 2017 at 2:36pm

this was pretty much my first go with a staff sling. Few years ago now Smiley
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2017 at 6:27am by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2017 at 7:37am

500 m I would like to see with pleasure. Huh A Staffsling used heavy ammunition. 200 g the lower area is there there rather in weight. In many historical pictures one sees, she them prefers with defence against a siege was used. But also on ships. Where little place was. The education is very easy. It lasts only few minutes to somebody with a Staffsling can shoot. Of course one can perfect then use. Then it is possible exactly to shoot nearly at then metre. We have this with reenactment slaughter several times proven. If one serves a Staffsling with two people her shot cadenza is very high. One reloads and one shoots. This goes with some practise very fast. We succeeded even from a cover in shooting. Without seeing then opponent, besides. Our exactness impressed many experienced fighters. From it a Kompination of different weapons developed. Particularly Staffsling, bow and fighters with sign and spear.

500m möchte ich gerne sehen.  Huh Eine Staffsling verwendete schwere Munition.  200g ist da da eher der untere Bereich an Gewicht. Auf vielen historischen Bildern sieht man , das sie sie bevorzugt bei Verteidigung gegen eine Belagerung verwendet wurde. Aber auch auf Schiffen. Überall da wo wenig Platz war. Die Ausbildung ist sehr einfach. Es dauert nur wenige Minuten bis jemand mit einer Staffsling schießen kann. Natürlich kann man denn Gebrauch perfektionieren. Dann ist es möglich, nahezu auf denn Meter genau zu schießen.  Wir haben dies bei reenactment schlachten mehrfach bewiesen.  Bedient man eine Staffsling mit zwei Personen ist ihre schußkadenz sehr hoch. Einer lädt nach und einer schießt. Das geht mit etwas Übung sehr schnell. Es gelang uns sogar aus einer Deckung heraus zu schießen . Ohne denn Gegner dabei zu sehen. Unsere Genauigkeit beeindruckte viele erfahrene  Kämpfer . Daraus entwickelte sich eine Kompination verschiedener Waffen. Besonders Staffsling , Bogen  und Kämpfer mit Schild und Speer.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - May 5th, 2017 at 11:29am

What Jaegoor said.  Though some may argue this, my experience has shown me that a staff sling doesn't get any more distance than a hand sling.  The advantage of a staff sling is that it can hurl MUCH heavier projectiles with ease.  I can launch half a brick the same distance with a staff sling as I can a three ounce stone with a good hand sling.  I also agree that I staff sling is much easier to learn to use than a hand sling.  I can get a novice slinging successfully with a staff sling in just a couple of tries. Staff slings are extremely powerful, easy and fun to use, and easy and fun to make.  I highly recommend them.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - May 5th, 2017 at 5:13pm

Wink Wink Cool

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #13 - May 6th, 2017 at 6:26am

Next time I'm at the summer cottage, a staff sling is to of the list of things I want to put together.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2020 at 2:47pm by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - May 6th, 2017 at 11:37am

You can make a fairly small staff sling, 2/3m or so with a about 1/3 meter sling.  It's small enough to use one handed and will let you get an idea of what you can do with a staff sling.  And it is large enough to use two handed.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man)