Send Topic Print
Sling Golf! (Read 3295 times)
Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Sling Golf!
Apr 23rd, 2017 at 2:49pm

Good afternoon fellow slingers and thank you for your interest in Sling Golf.  I am reporting from the historic disc golf course at Matney Parker in beautiful Castle Rock, Colorado.  We could not ask for a more perfect day for a round of sling golf.  Clear skies, a slight breeze and temperatures in the low 70's.  Despite the ideal conditions, the course is almost empty, with a few intrepid disc golfers and yours truly, Blue Raja, with a paracord and leather sling and a bag of golf balls, ready to determine if the game is viable.

The course at Matney Park is not for the faint of heart.  The tea boxes are not maintained, there is no fairway and if you are lucky, the greens are packed down earth.  Most of the distances from the box to the pin hover around 100 yards, with some as short as 70 and others as long as 140.  What the course lacks in distance, it more than makes up in hazards.  There is an active construction project between holes 2 and 3.  You also have to cross the highway to go from 3 to 4.  Prairie dog holes, rock outcrops, beer bottles and prairie grass create their own unique challenges.  Bring lots of golf balls.

I had a great time.  Sling golf, anyone?

Sling_Golf_001.jpg (156 KB | 51 )
Sling_Golf_001.jpg

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Re: Sling Golf!
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 2:50pm

Tee box - kind of a challenge in itself as the front part of the box is dug down, not ideal for my slinging style.

Sling_Golf_002.jpg (471 KB | 53 )
Sling_Golf_002.jpg

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 2:52pm

Target and my best shot of the day, near the "green" in one shot.  If you look at about 11:00, you can kind of see the ball.

Sling_Golf_003.jpg (429 KB | 67 )
Sling_Golf_003.jpg

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 4:35pm

so did hitting the big metal net thingy count as getting it in the hole ?

Roman in guam is working on something of a similiar size.

And yes sling golf is both viable and a lot more fun than normal golf Wink

Good Job Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 10:59pm

Thanks for the encouragement CA. Hitting the metal net equals sinking a putt.  I haven't figured that part out yet as I throw modified side arm.  Once I am on the "green" I call it good and proceed to the next hole.

Regardless  It was a lot of fun and I will be going back.  We have a golf training course not too far from us.  9 holes, designed for beginning golfers.  The head pro gave me permission to sling golf balls on the driving range, provided I stay as far away from the other golfers as possible.  I think that once they get used to me, they will let me out on the course.

In the interim, the disc golf course is free and fairly empty.  There are a few other disc golf courses to try as well.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 4:55am

A gentle underarm lob is your best bet for 'putting'.
Nice big target as well Thumbs Up

So your next task is to find someone else to play with Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 6:10am

I wish  I had a golf course that would allow me to play with my sling, but the golf club near me got turned into a state park now

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 10:18am

Vetryan - Are any of these disc golf courses near you?

http://www.njdiscgolf.com

CA - I will start practicing that underhand lob.  

I am going to put together some leather pouch and paracord slings to give to the disc golfers (in memory of Aussie) along w/ some recycled golf balls (48 for $10.00 at the local Wally World).  Hopefully that will inspire some new slingers.

All - are any Colorado slingers interested in meeting me in Castle Rock or Highlands Ranch next w/e?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 2:04pm

We have a disk golf course in the park about a minutes walk from our flat. It would be perfect for slinging but it's so darn popular I'd be sure to hit someone if I went slinging on it Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 2:46pm

Use tennis balls.  And yell "Fore" REALLY loud.   Grin

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 3:48pm

Actually 4 of them are about a 30 minute ride. NJ is bigger then what most people think. Haha.

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 4:50pm

Dang VetRyan - here in Colorado, we think nothing of driving 30 minutes for a cup of coffee.  Get out there and sling some golf balls - it will open up a whole new market for your slings!

Kicktheotter - maybe walk up to the target and sling marshmallows?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 6:06pm

I am gonna look into possibly getting into it. I use to live in the boonies. I love the distance.  Just very hard right now without a car.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 2:08pm

An american without a car ?
Is such a thing even possible !

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #14 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 6:52pm

Yeh. Got totaled in an accident. I wasn't at fault.   Been out of work for almost 2 years. Back and neck all jacked up.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker)