Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
goshawk arrives in castle gresley (Read 562 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
goshawk arrives in castle gresley
Apr 22nd, 2017 at 5:43am

This past week I've been watching a new raptor hunting overvthe trees and fields while walking the dogs.
we get a lot of kestrels, sparrowhawks and buzzards. This bird was quite different. Almostvas big as a buzzard, but with quite different morphology. plus it hunts quite low in the sky and i've yet to see any birds mobbing it. Turns out that goshawks even eatvsparrowhawks - so no wonder the crows are staying clear.
Just checked wikipedia, they eat corvids too. No wonder everyone was leaving it alone !

Just watched videos on youtube - 100% goshawk.
in gliding flight they look like spitfires.
Hoping it's moved into the area, buzzards are pretty boring to watch.
i'll take camera with me next week Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: goshawk arrives in castle gresley
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 6:19am

Goshawks are very aggressive. They will attack humans if provoked. They tend to rake the head with their talons. I have nesting Bald Eagles and Osprey in a preserve near me. The areas are blocked off for the safety of the birds and humans.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 8:32am

lol you're only likely to get attacked if you mess with their nest.

And any time birds have protected status: it's to protect them from humans not the other way round.
They can't eat you, so unless you're a total idiot and go poking around in their nest - you are in absolutely no danger. 

Did you know swedes are scared of badgers ?
Weird but true.

This is the first wild goshawk I've ever seen. Pretty cool that they're moving this far north.

It's only recently that the authorities have started to prosecute game keepers for shooting and poisoning raptors. So for something as unusual and large as a goshawk to be our area is pretty special.

And given their varied diet and the number of rabbits and birds round here. Should be able to breed without any problem.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 6:15pm

What almost wiped out the raptors around the southeastern US was DDT.  It made the shells to fragile to survive nesting.  Since DDT got banned, raptors have slowly been making a comeback.

First it was the owls, which are non migratory, then the various hawks, kestrels and falcons and finally the eagles and ospreys have returned.

Actually, with catfish farming starting to take over large areas around here, the eagles and osprey numbers have started to really increase.

Oddly enough, with the return of eagles, the number of owls and hawks have started to decrease.  And cutting all the old growth hardwoods and replanting in pine isn't helping the owl population recover, either.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - May 5th, 2017 at 12:05pm

DDT also did it's damage in The Northeast.  Ospreys were almost extinct and at one point there were only three nesting pairs of Bald Eagles in the entire state of New Jersey.  That was in the '70s.  Since DDT was banned Ospreys have come roaring (chirping?) back to the point where they're almost common.  Bald Eagles' come back has been slower but finally they are recovering also.  A few weeks ago I saw one fly over my little lake here in town. Good to see.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)