Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ski bow (Read 7356 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Ski bow
Reply #30 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 3:30pm

Nice looking tab.  And that is an outstanding video on how to make a single loop string.

Now find one where he shows how to serve the string.  That's wrap thread around the string in the area where you nock the arrow.  And while you don't need as many strands as he does as far as strength of the string goes,  I usually use 14 strands in my strings in my much lighter bows simply because a slightly thicker string doesn't dig in to my fingers as much while I'm shooting.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #31 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 6:30am

He actually links to a serving video at the end of that one and its just as good. I have my materials on their way now and it's all looking a lot less intimidating Cheesy

All the sanding is now done! Probably... I'm sure I'll find some bits which need even more cleaning up but it's now basically finished. All I need to do now is oil it, make the string and then test it out. This whole process has gone much quicker than I thought it would I have to say so the wait for the string materials is going to be excruciating.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #32 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 3:45pm

How's the arrow situation? You planning on making those as well or buying some?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #33 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 2:07am

I think I'm going to have to buy them. At some point I'll try and make my own but for now I don't really have the right materials or the time. Also I'm far too impatient and want to go shoot this thing as soon as possible Cheesy The oiling is now done and you can see here the lengths I went to to get it right. It's come out really nicely and has some beautiful patterns. I'll get some better photos up at some point. One thing I wanted to ask actually is what's everyone's opinions on the arrow rest? Should I just keep it bare wood or would a bit of leather be a good idea?

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #34 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 10:03am

So long as there is enough room for the arrow to shoot cleanly with the added plate and rest I would. The wood will take wear there if not.  I've never glued over an oil finish so double check this but if it was me I would make sure it's completely dry, sand the area a bit and use contact cement or shoe goo. If you have a heater fan the oil will dry a lot quicker. Anyways that's the procedure I would follow. Should be fine.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #35 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 12:27pm

I think whether I'm going to or not is going to come down to how well I can cut the leather to fit Cheesy I have plenty of time ti seems until the string materials arrive so it beats twiddling my thumbs.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #36 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 3:47pm

I found another use for leather that's archery related! Turns out thumb rings were, and still are, sometimes made of leather rather than wood or bone or antler or some other material so of course I had to have a go. I made a quick paper template, just to be sure of the dimensions, then cut out the leather, punched two holes in the "arms" and sewed them together. It literally took less than 10 minutes to make and, as far as I can tell with the very quick pull back on my bow with the stand-in string, it seems to work fine and I might even prefer how it feels to the finger tab. Of course I need to try them both out for real before I make any decisions but the mechanics of it seem to make sense for me and I think I might get a quicker, smoother release. Need to see. I think it's obvious at this point that I'm desperate for the string material to arrive. I'm going to try and find some arrows tomorrow but I'm not sure how good an idea it is. It's going to be torture...

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #37 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 7:28pm

Kick wrote on Apr 26th, 2017 at 3:47pm:
I think it's obvious at this point that I'm desperate for the string material to arrive.

This is me waiting for my first sinew backed bow to dry. Lol. Once you start staring at the bow willing the finish to dry by some non existent mental power you will know it's over.
Grin

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #38 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 2:35pm

Now added some leather to the arrow rest with some glue and I can now say the riser itself is finished! I'm so happy with how it's turned out.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #39 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 9:10pm

I've used soft leather thumb rings, they didn't do so hot.  They did let me see how out of shape my left arm was as far a drawing the bow, though.

If you are right handed and hold the bow with your left hand and draw with your right while using a finger release, when you switch to a thumb ring, the arrow stays on the left side of the bow but you now hold the bow with the right hand and draw with the left.

And follow through is a lot more critical with a thumb draw than it is with a finger draw.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #40 - May 2nd, 2017 at 4:47pm

Finally the b50 arrived!

It took 2 attempts but I finally got a half-decent, sort of ok string. I'm hoping the serving string will be arriving soon so I can finish it off properly. Then all I need are arrows and somewhere to shoot!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)