Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ski bow (Read 7320 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Ski bow
Apr 12th, 2017 at 2:36pm

I realised I never posted up here my first attempt at making a bow. I saw this Instructable article:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-takedown-bow-from-skis/

and, considering I live in Finland which is chock full of second hand cross country skis and free wood, I decided to make my own ski bow. I see this very much as a first (still unfinished) attempt. I really liked how the riser came out and I got it to be very comfortable in the hand but I kind of messed up drilling the holes so the limbs are off centre which basically means the riser is unusable. Luckily this weekend I'm off to the Summer cottage finally (expect lots of posts of stuff I've made and tried out) so I'll be able to get some more wood to cut down and shape. I still haven't put the indents for the string on the ski limbs yet and I have no arrows which are both problems to overcome but my biggest problem is actually that I'm not sure what to use for the string. I could try and make one myself but I don't know much about that and then if I was to simply buy one I'm not exactly sure how to work out what size I need or type or really... anything Cheesy

Any help and tips on the making of this would be greatly appreciated!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Re: Ski bow
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 4:22pm

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 3:42am

Thanks! I've seen a few of that guys videos and they're good. I didn't think to see if he had done a string tutorial Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 7:59am

Any chance we could get a video of you shooting it? It looks great by the way.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 8:08am

Well it will take me some time to get it in working condition and then I need some arrows but I'll try Cheesy As I write this we're on our way out to the  woods so at the very least I'll get some slinging filmed if I can convince someone to hold the camera.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 9:40am

The camera? No problem. It's convincing people to hold your target that gets difficult. I'm running out of people here.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 9:44am

Cheesy Actually the one problem I'm expecting is my girlfriend's parent's new dog getting in the way of my target. Their previous dog loved to have a nice quiet sit directly in the line of fire.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2017 at 8:03am by Kick »  

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 8:14am

Made some good progress already. The new riser is far beefier than the original but it still needs a lot of sanding so will slim down in time. Done all I can out here I think as the drill and sand paper are back home so I'm going to have plenty to do over the next week or more. Note maybe some slinging, although it's almost minus degrees outside.

Apologies for giant photos. Only have my phone so will edit them later once back in civilisation.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2017 at 2:00pm by Kick »  

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 9:49pm

When you attach the limbs to the riser, do you plan to glue them, too?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 1:48pm

I'm just going to be using the bolts. I want it to be a take-down version to ease transport. With my first attempt at a riser, I did test it a little to see if they would hold and I think they will do fine. I'm not going to be using it very heavily really; I'll only be able to really use it when at the cottage, so it should last quite a long time.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 1:58pm

Oh yeah and today I spent about an hour sanding the new riser and it's looking a lot less... square. Still need to do some more and use some finer grades and then a million other things but hopefully sometime this year it'll be ready Cheesy

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 2:20pm

I would like to see the finished project.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 3:18pm

Otter, any idea what the poundage will be? Also, what type of wood is the handle made from?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 4:42am

No idea about poundage really. Once it's finished I'll try and measure it. I'm not sure about the wood as it was a cut off from when the Summer cottage was being renovated. I think it might be pine. I know that isn't the best wood and certainly isn't ideal but beggars can't be choosers. Going back to the poundaage, I'm really not expecting it to be very high at all so I think pine will be good enough. I'm not expecting a war bow out of this and really this whole thing is just me getting better at wood work and seeing if I can do it. If I get nothing else out of this, sanding it has been very pleasant. The whole of our flat now smells like the forest Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:27am

Hey if it works it works right?  Smiley The smell of the wood is one of my favorite things about bow making.Osage smells great as well, to me at least.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)