Send Topic Print
Bad Habits (Read 1882 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Bad Habits
Apr 11th, 2017 at 3:34pm

This is day nine of my cold turkey withdraw from a long term pain pill addiction.  In 1993 I contracted a very nasty case of Lyme Disease.  I was treated unsuccessfully for three years with oral antibiotics.  I worked through this period with the very necessary help of Vicodin. Then the Lyme got really bad and forced me to leave my job.  At this point they put me on a very necessary, fairly high dose of Oxycontin.  For the next eleven years  I treated with IV antibiotics through thirteen long term IV treatments, some lasting as long as six months.  Thirteen was my lucky number. My Lyme Disease was finally driven into remission. Unfortunately, after fourteen years the damage done was irreversible.
    I spent years on legal pain pills... three on Vicodin and twenty on Oxycontin.  This is day nine without.  The first three days I was just restless and couldn't get comfortable.  On the third day it really hit, feeling like the flu on steroids.  This morning most of the pain was gone.  I am still weak and fuzzy headed but I feel like maybe the worst is behind me.  This is something I've wanted to do for a long time.  My will is strong. 
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2017 at 8:24am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Bad Habits
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 5:47pm

That would be tough Ratman. A friend of ours has been fighting lyme for years. It's a brutal disease. I feel for anyone who has gone through it. It's a shame that things like oxycontin are available while medicinal marijuana is still illegal most places. Not sure how you feel about that but it seems like it would be a better option. Anyways,  you got this RM. Stay strong.  Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 6:35am

I was a drinker for years. Both of my parents were alcoholics, and ultimately it killed my father. When I stopped, it was tough, but I got through it. Many people are addicts, and don't want to admit it. It's always other people's problems, but not theirs. If you need to, get outside support. BTW, I still have the desire to drink sometimes, even after years sober.

badgerdrunk.jpg (74 KB | 35 )
badgerdrunk.jpg

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 8:29am

Congrats, slingbadger. You should be proud. You have accomplished something that is extremely difficult. I've never been able to understand why alcohol is legal and marijuana isn't.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 8:38am

I am currently going through alot of pain management,  due to a car accident a couple years ago. Muscle relaxers and sych, but due to my family history.  I lost my younger brother to a herion OD about 1 month before my car accident.  I actually found some herbal remedies that work well for pain. It's called KRATOM it's part of the coffee family,  but attacks the opioid receptors in your brain. Works great for pain, but it's also used as a natural drug addiction  remedy as well. Instead of being on methadone or suboxion.  Kratom is used to help withdrawal symptoms.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 1:17pm

I quit smoking after 30+ years.  It has been over 15 years and every now and then, I want a cigarette.  I'm able to ignore it because with time, the cravings get weaker.

If I were you, I would get some string and start making slings.  I found the concentration needed to braid a sling, knap a point, make a bow or atlatl or a pot or just do some sort of fine detailed work helped a lot to calm the cravings.

And you can thank the alcohol industry and big pharma for alcohol being legal and MJ not.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 3:52pm

Actually you can thank the oil industry.
Hemp can be used to replace many of the fabrics and plastics we currently use oil for - including diesel I believe. When that was discovered was shortly before mj was declared illegal.

never happen today whistle

Good luck Ratman and I hope you stay the course.  Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2017 at 12:14pm

Update: Two days ago I passed the one month mark.  Oxycontin withdraw isn't anything like I expected.  I anticipated maybe four days to a week of extreme pain, restless legs, etc., like a Heroin addict gets, then a fiendish craving like when one quits smoking.  Nope. Nothing like that.  At least for me, after the first three days it's been just straight up pain.  No big cravings.. maybe that's because I didn't really abuse it. I generally took it as prescribed.  What withdraw has been for me is flu-on-steroids-like pain that doesn't go away. Sneezing, congestion, body aches, fatigue, etc..  But after a little over a month things are slowly getting better.  I remain committed.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #8 - May 5th, 2017 at 10:40pm

You got this, RM.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #9 - May 6th, 2017 at 7:58am

Keep it up Ratman, it seems like you are winning the fight.

Addiction is everywhere- my cousin has had a terrible relationship with alcohol for years now, left rehab recently and back to drinking dangerous amounts now.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - May 6th, 2017 at 8:11am

Wow a month.  Shocked Well done so far RM. Sounds like the worst of it is behind you.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - May 6th, 2017 at 11:45am

It takes a while for your body to get off the craving, for me, the hardest part was and is staying quit.

As long as I had some concrete symptoms to fight against, I was good.  It's when the cravings are just mental is when I find myself tempted.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #12 - May 6th, 2017 at 7:03pm

Stay strong!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 9:47am

Speaking of bad habits, I've given up two more.  After a lifetime of nail biting I've stopped.  At the ripe old age of 62, for the first time in my life I actually have fingernails.  I am finding them quite useful. Also it's been almost a month since I completely blocked Chrissie from all contact.  Though I will always wish the best for her, that relationship became toxic for me so after almost two years together and knowing her for 22 years it's best for me to cut ties.  Living alone isn't all that bad.  It's been two months and five days since I quit Oxycontin.  I'm still getting symptoms but remain committed.
    So far in 2017 three bad habits have bit the dust.  I'm on a roll.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 12:25pm

Keep on truckin'...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)