Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Clay projectiles
Reply #75 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 11:37am

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1496247190/0#0

We are now open for business Smiley

ps. I don't know if cat litter works, but it is a sort of clay, anyway it was Fred's idea. whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Central U.S. Great Lakes Area
Reply #76 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 6:11pm

I used cheap clay from a hobby shop to make clay glandes. I baked a few and sun dried the rest. They flew very well and I was able to achieve great distances with them, but a recurring problem I had was the clay breaking apart in the pouch or after the release. Does anybody have clay recipes or ideas to help make the clay stronger?

A knifeless man is a lifeless man.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #77 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 4:49am

I've never had any trouble with clay breaking on exit from pouch. It can often even sustain the landings with minimal damage provided the ground is soft. Of course, hit anything solid and it's basically vaporized.

I use cheap school clay and bake in the oven till rock hard.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #78 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 7:34am

Sounds like there is something going on with the clay itself if its breaking in the pouch.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #79 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 10:13am

I can only think that your clay is not good enough, which would be a surprise.

Clay should be able to support any reasonable forces due to launch or spin, particularly when dried, unless there are flaws in it for some reason.

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Central U.S. Great Lakes Area
Reply #80 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 1:41am

The problem with the clay breaking in the pouch only happened with the sun- dried clay. The baked clay I actually ricocheted off a rock and it only chipped off a piece. The clay I sun dried I did so for about 50 hours. I wonder if this was not long enough or the type of clay I used was not compatible with sun drying because it was meant to be put into a kiln. I used varied shapes, some I made very long and thin, and those seemed to have the most trouble with breaking in the pouch. For my next batch I will make sturdier rugby-ball shaped glandes, because those seemed to have the most success.

A knifeless man is a lifeless man.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #81 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 4:53am

If it brakes at launch, it has cracks in it. Serious cracks . Or the clay isn't worked properly kneaded.  If dried too fast, it develops cracks. Small pebbles will cause cracks too. By clay I mean clay. not some new age clay Cheesy

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #82 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 6:57am

the stuff I use is specifically made to air dry. It's got lots of little fibres mixed in that help with dried strength.
Normal clay probably needs to be baked a bit Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #83 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 6:50pm

Courtesy of one of my very favourite websites, Propnomicon, I've found this tutorial on making quick, cheap air drying clay. It's intended for craft purposes and I haven't tried this myself (only found out about it a few moments ago in fact) but this might be something to look into. I for one am somewhat put off by the price of clay so this could be a good alternative.

http://propnomicon.blogspot.fi/2012/06/quick-and-dirty-air-drying-clay.html

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #84 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 10:14am

that stuff she makes is way more expensive than than the clay i use and after an awful lot of effort she ended up with less than a pound pva 'clay'.
It's basically a sort of homemade polymer clay.
It'll also be fairly lightweight.

for the record judop works in a school. Those of us who don't,  don't have access to school clay Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #85 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 1:47pm

Ive seen large blocks of clay in college supply stores. The same place you go to get sketch pads or other sundrys for class. Not sure if that is common or unique to the place I was at. Luckily those of us who live in the gulf coast area arent exactly hurting for sources of clay.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #86 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 2:42pm

you'd think with burton having a college and art courses there wouold be somwehere in the town to buy art supplies.
But there isn't.

If you look online it brings a shop up - alas it turned into a charity shop for the air ambulance about  a year ago.

And with things being as they are these days you can't just wander round acollege looking for the art department and ask someone if you can buy clay off them. You have to get security badges on lanyards and appointments, and I just can't be arsed.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #87 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 3:18pm

I moved on from teaching a couple of months ago- it's a pretty terrible career choice right now, at least in the UK. I'm going back to university in September for hopefully brighter pastures!

That school clay I actually bought online (I presume they supply schools). You can get 20kg delivered for about £15 IIRC.

http://www.potterycrafts.co.uk/Products/00270003/P1341

If you can pick up from somewhere you will probably save a decent amount since carriage of 20kg forms a significant proportion of the cost.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #88 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 12:31pm

has anyone tried something similar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGecljP-ge0

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #89 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 12:59pm

the air dry clay I bought was a little cheaper I think.
You can always get some cement and mix it with sand and pva glue. Should be able to get it stiff enough to roll.
That;s extremely cheap.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker)