Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Clay projectiles (Read 13320 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Clay projectiles
Reply #45 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 11:36am

What exactly is causing the need to roll them by hand first?  Is the clay too difficult to work until it's close to the correct shape? 

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #46 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:11pm

50x25 pointy

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #47 - Apr 22nd, 2017 at 12:17pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 22nd, 2017 at 11:36am:
What exactly is causing the need to roll them by hand first?  Is the clay too difficult to work until it's close to the correct shape? 

Just quicker.
Easiest to start with either a rough ball or rough lozenge.
Plus if you roll it as an irregular lump, it doesn't really roll. Kind of smears and splits.
This clay is pretty stiff.
Plus if it's too far off the actual finished length. the ends tend to open up for some reason.

Could be down to my using slightly too little or slightly too much clay.

I also get a better and quicker result by tilting the slider and gradually bringing it level while rolling. rather than having it level and pushing down on the whole thing at once - if that makes sense.

The pointy ones were pretty quick.

basically - like anything - it's down to practice and developing a best practice technique. Which I probably haven't done yet.

The play doh is much easier - that's a lot softer. So that's probably a factor.

I made some paratha's last week (shallow fried flat bread). First couple weren't great. By the last one I had it down to a fine art.
Just practice Smiley 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #48 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 4:39pm

Okay today I added the Guam style shape.

I know it looks like the ends go inwards - it's just an optical illusion the lines are dead straigtht.

Haven't done the guam mould yet - bu that's pretty straightforward - getting the actual shape was the bastard. 
It's as close to my coral 'stone' as I can get.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #49 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 4:52pm

Guam mould.
Going to make one the same size as my coral sling missile.

guammould.JPG (39 KB | 36 )
guammould.JPG

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #50 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 8:06am

Not bad match considering the coral was hand carved and is battle damaged. Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #51 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 9:44am

Adjusted the length.
It's now 2x glande diameter plus 20 mm. Adds an hour or so to printing time - but makes it long enough to get a complete roll fairly easily.
For example the 60x35 I'm just printing will take over 5 hours.

I found with the big guam roller that it wasn't really long enough for such a big lump of clay.

This way they'll all be proportional to the size of the actual glande.

There's no shortcut to taking time with the first one to get the right weight of clay.

Currently sticking with just the three shapes, but open to anything that anyone wants.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #52 - May 8th, 2017 at 2:00pm

Any updates on this? Are you still planning on selling them?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #53 - May 8th, 2017 at 4:20pm

yep pretty much finished design and testing.

Final parts are 20mm longer than 2x the diameter. It's now entirely parametric, so length is now proportional to the glande diameter.
Last one was 60x35 (first with the new length settings), rolled real quick and easy. Slow roll with gentle pressure worked really well. Guessed damn near right amount of clay first time and took about 10 seconds to roll it.
The extra length made a noticeable difference.

Got new filament supplier www.3dexfilament.co.uk who sells a couple of filaments coloured with metal powder. Copper and aluminium.

About as close to metal looking as you can get.
Stuff isn't cheap but if anyone wants a metal looking mould, filament is on order Smiley
I don't have enough sample filament to print a mould. But printed a couple of nut and bolt sets.
The aluminium bolt is on my balearic target centre. In the 'flesh' as it were it looks a lot more metallic.
The copper one is nest to a piece of copper pipe and is virtually identical in both colour and sheen.

I'll generate some images showing the three launch design shapes and how different ratios of length to diameter effects the shapes and set up a seperate thread in the mall section.

I honestly have no bloody clue on pricing. And as my accountant will tell you, I also have no clue what other people are prepared to pay for stuff. Being generlly skint myself, I always underestimate stuff.

p&p should be Around £3-5 for one,
If I follow the guidelines people have told me: ie: design time plus print time plus material cost. They work out stupidly expensive.
So I'm aiming for a sensible middle ground.

Price per mould. Somewhere around the £10 mark i was thinking. Larger ones - obviously - more than smaller ones.  And an extra £3-4 for the metallic ones (the filament is around 3x more expensive than normal pla and while the filament cost is the least of the expense, it does make a noticeable difference with the premium stuff).
I can also offer moulds in pet-g for a small extra cost - probably £2. If anyone is planning on using some substance that eats pla.  I have no idea what that might be - but it's an available option should it be required.

Discount available for more than one mould
They are simple looking things, but made with engineering precision - and each one is custom made.

While not indestructible, they are extremely durable and should last for many years with a little care.
Don't drop from a great height on a concrete floor. That said I've bounced a couple on the concrete floor of my workshop with no problems. I'm just not recommending it Smiley
Don't hit with hammers or drive over with your car or let your dog chew them.   

I'll throw in 1 text stamp free with each mould. Short words or phrases work better than long ones. But I'm not putting  a character limit on it. If it's too long to get a clean impression - I told you so Smiley

So that's what I'm thinking at the moment.

Other pricing suggestions and justifications welcome Smiley   

Is that too cheap ? Do you think it's too expensive.
I've been self employed for nearly 25 years and never had much money - so I genuinely have no idea what other people think is a reasonable price for anything.
Let alone something completely unique like this.

Be gentle with me whistle

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #54 - May 8th, 2017 at 4:33pm

Oh yeah I'll also hold a launch competition.

Names out of a hat (or bowl) for free mould inc p&p.  Just don't tell my accountant - she despairs at me for giving stuff away as it is Smiley

And as it's free it'll probably be the 60x35 test mould.
Uses 84 gms of my modelling clay and drops to around 65 when dry.
Other clays may vary Smiley

And all payments via paypal.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #55 - May 8th, 2017 at 5:54pm

13 dollars for us Americans. Thats very reasonable. I cant speak for anyone else but to me this is a big deal. I find that the biggest impediment to target slinging is good ammo. Its nothing to make 100 shots and sling them in 45 minutes. With half gone in weeds almost immediately. Time-wise that begins to add up pretty quickly. Can't wait to get one.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #56 - May 8th, 2017 at 6:52pm

I am really interested in picking one or two of these bad boys. I need more practice with consistent ammo.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #57 - May 8th, 2017 at 6:56pm

I completely agree with you Morphy.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #58 - May 9th, 2017 at 7:51am

I might well be interested as well. I've been wanting to try out clay ammo and this does look damn perfect.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #59 - May 9th, 2017 at 8:20pm

I was wondering if mixing metal dust, shavings, scrap etc in the clay (to add weight) would still have the roller working well? Or would that scratch up the roller? And would it be hazardous to use lead powder? I think it would be as it makes me think it could get in your pores and be absorbed.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark)