Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slungshot (Read 1962 times)
JustMe_2016
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Slungshot
Apr 3rd, 2017 at 3:08pm

I have a question . How far could be thrown a 2 pound slungshot with a 15 inch cord ?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Slungshot
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 3:11pm

The hulk could probably sling it quite far. Mortal men, probably not too far. 15 inches is a small sling even for normal sling stone weights. I would be impressed with anything over 40 meters to be honest. But then I'm easily impressed.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 3:18pm

Sounds like an injury waiting to happen.  Instead of a short hand sling why not make a staff sling?  They are ideal for slinging heavier projectiles at frightening speeds and distances.  You will find articles here on constructing a staff sling.  They are fun, easy to make, and devastatingly powerful.  I prefer bamboo for the staff.  Have fun, be careful.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 5:16pm

strange question!?
i think i can throw it by the hand 20m.
why so short, 15 inch? Huh

IP Logged

JustMe_2016
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 6:06pm

I tought it would be easier to be thrown with a shorter cord,  what would be a good lenght for the corde ?. By the way , how would be easier to be thrown underhand or overhand ?

IP Logged

JustMe_2016
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 6:15pm

Meteor Hammers are heavier than 2 pounds !

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 6:18pm

For that size, I would use about a 1 1/2 meter long sling,  I would have the retention cord wrapped around my hand and I would use a piroute to get it up to speed.

I was able to throw bricks a pretty good distance.

I started with a wrist loop, it pinched the nerves at the base of my thumb so I moved the cord to a palm wrap, that worked much better.  My first sling was short, about 2 feet (2/3m) and was hard to handle.  Longer was actually easier, it took two hands to get it started, though.

I couldn't hit anything smaller than the Alabama River, though.  And I actually missed a couple of times.

IP Logged

JustMe_2016
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 7:31pm

Thanx for the answers ! i was thinking to do something like a bolas with only one fist , it would require less skill than a sling. What do you think about it ?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 8:09pm

Bolas definitely require less skill than a sling. A kylie or throwing stick would also be similarly less difficult. With your original question it wasn't so much a matter of skill as of strength. Even a skilled slinger, or perhaps especially a skilled slinger would not choose to throw such a heavy projectile with such a short sling for any reason other than novelty.  A short sling could throw it, but it would be much less effective than other set ups mentioned above and dangerous as well.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 1:30am

i have no idea what would be a good cord length.
it would be determined through experimentation....
the style would be like discus or like timpa's pirouette style sidearm to overarm.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 6:46am

not a particularly heavy rock, I was slinging much heavier ones on the beach in mallorca.

Best technique for heavy rocks is a simple straight arm rotational underarm.
So longest sling depends on how tall you are. standing up with arm hanging down, sling must be just off the ground.
Mine would be about 33 inches.

You could easily get a 2lb rock 100 metres.
I was hitting a small cave about 50 metres away with them quite easily.

for the record that's about the weight of rock Pep Salinas uses for target slinging Smiley
He is a big lad Smiley

I can figure 8 a rock that size - but wouldn't recommend it for anyone else.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 8:36pm

Starting at 4:10 on this video I throw some fist sized rocks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkAdj5wB1MQ

I've also slung half bricks before with several of my slings and those are about three pounds each, anything more than that tends to be steeply counter-productive in the accuracy/KE realm.

The slings that worked best for that had long tapered leather pouches and thick cords. Also maybe 2-3" longer than my usual sling, at least for me. Make sure you warm up your shoulder first and if it feels uncomfortable, then don't do it. Slinging 1/2lb rocks is just as fun as 3lb rocks IMO, and probably safer for most people as well.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)