Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sneaking Healthy Things Into Your Food. (Read 372 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Sneaking Healthy Things Into Your Food.
Apr 3rd, 2017 at 2:36pm

I have cooked since I was little. I was a cook in three different restaurants and took Commercial Foods in high school.  Though these days it's popular for any professional cook to call themselves a chef, I say I was a cook because IMO being a true chef requires more culinary education than I had. 
    I am forever sneaking healthy ingredients into my food.  One thing that's easy to get away with are greens. You can add them to many foods and no one will complain.  Spaghetti sauce, ramen,  stews, soup, the list is almost endless.  What sort of greens? It really doesn't matter. Spinach, collards, turnip greens, mustard greens, broccoli rabe, etc..  Another very healthy item I like to add to a lot of recipes is crushed flax seed. You can add a bit to all of the above plus oatmeal and other hot cereals, or just about anything and no one will notice.  Any sort sauce I buy I almost always doctor with fresh ingredients.. onions, garlic, mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, etc..   
   Fresh ingredients and flavor, vitamins, and fiber to store bought sauces and other prepared foods.
Does anyone else doctor almost everything with fresh, healthy ingredients?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Sneaking Healthy Things Into Your Food.
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 6:38pm

I like canned hominy but the store bought stuff has way too much salt, so I soak it overnight in fresh water.  And saffkee, which is the dried, natural hominy, requires soaking overnight and then simmering for at least 4 more hours, is actually the best.

Now, you have to add something or it's really bland.  Diced onions are good, especially if they are mixed with some bacon.  Although I suppose that something like venison or wild turkey would be a great deal healthier.  Or fresh caught fish.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Sneaking Healthy Things Into Your Food.
Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 7:41pm

Turmeric is one of my favorite spices and can be added to many dishes. It's list of proven benefits for the body is impressive.  If I had to choose a few things to add to my dishes it would be Turmeric, Garlic and a healthy side of home fermented saurkraut or kimchi. Both of which are much tastier and better for you than what you can buy in the local supermarket.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)