Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What got you into slinging? (Read 1744 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
What got you into slinging?
Mar 31st, 2017 at 1:13pm

Personally I was just bored one day and looked through the Wikipedia index of weapons. Saw the sling and look at it and then, well you can guess what happened after that. So what about y'all? The Bible? A friend? Video? I'm very interested to know.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: What got you into slinging?
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 2:25am

I think my introduction was similar to you. Bit of paracord and a pouch? Even I can make that! Gave me something to do when visiting my girlfriend's family's summer cottage as well. I blame this forum for the descent into braiding and all the various experiments Cheesy
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2017 at 9:48am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 3:58am

the first time i read about slings was accidentaly in an encyclopedia, no images. it was so simple, yet i couldn't understand it.

then a couple of years later saw a sling(david and goliath in documentary with a lot of video editing) i didn't believe this could work. but this time i tried it, thinking it may come to me that way . but failed.
somehow i had discovered slinging.org forums but didn't thought it would help much Tongue

maybe a year later a good mix of boredom and curiousity sparked by the need for something convenient to just throw/shoot things lead to the making of a new sling and trying harder
researching in here and youtube videos helped with the first steps

IP Logged

paleryder
Descens

Le Roy, IL
Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 10:53am

I had made bows off and on. Did some flint knapping. I like primitive skills so I picked up another hobby after running across slinging on paleoplanet IIRC. My wife was thrilled...okay, maybe not.  Smiley Although after my last suggested project of making my own KNO3, I think she realizes the virtues of sling braiding. The idea of a large plot of manure, ash and decaying vegetation in our yard that I'll have to constantly pour urine on for months didn't sit well with the little lady.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 3:12pm

In a roundabout way acorns got me interested in the sling.  I have always felt a bit out of place in modern society... many of us do.  Take me back 100,000 years and I'd be fine.
    In the Fall here in New Jersey millions of tons of acorns wash down our sewers, totally wasted.  I read that the Native Americans used to process them into flour. I HATE to waste anything so I decided to give acorns a try.  My first attempt failed miserably because I didn't crush the acorns finely enough prior to rinsing them.  You have to rinse them for a couple of days to get all of the tannins out or most kinds of acorns will be inedible.
    Anyway, acorns got me thinking about all things from our hunter/gatherer ancestors which led me to the sling.  As I mentioned on a previous thread, the thing I like the most about the sling is that it's something I can make and use completely by myself, Naked and Afraid style.  I don't need anything whatsoever from modern technology.  Just a little plant fiber, hair, or hide and some round stones, of which we have plenty here. If the modern world was to end today I'd have a sling immediately, with no help from anyone or anything.

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 12:51am

Nobody else read the Redwall series as a kid? Brian Jacques?

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 1:40am

Baldurs gate video games. A dress up party and a day alone with a piece of cord. Fast forward 15 months and I carry it everywhere and my friends get sick of me talking about it/ doing it.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 2:53am

Ich sah die Sling als Kind bei meinem Vater. Ein echter magyar. Er beherrschte sie absolut perfekt. Auch die kleine Axt und horsbow. Ich interessierte mich aber nicht für die Sling . Horsbow war genau richtig für mich. Aber eine sling hatte ich fast immer in meiner Tasche. Einfach so. Ich lernte ganz nebenbei sie zu beherschen. Später wurde es dann ein Sport für mich.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 7:04am

something to do while walking the dogs. Sling came after: yo-yo, staff twirling and juggling Smiley
Over 30 years ago now.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 10:52am

I do miss Drakoliths threads. Where did you go Drako?

I became interested in slinging and bowmaking at the same time as a kid. I think it must be genetic for some people. Some ancient gene switches on and suddenly a powerful urge to make primitive gear takes over. I already tend towards obsessive behavior on my hobbies. Once I get into something I really throw myself into it and slinging has probably been the biggest of such obsessions.  Tongue

IP Logged

cpman
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 1:04pm

I actually got into hand slinging by building a model trebuchet. It had a really crappy sling for throwing marbles, so I looked up how to make a better one. I came across making a three strand, knotted sling on a tutorial here, and decided to practice by making a full sized one.

I did end up building a nice (though tiny) woven pouch sling for the trebuchet. Just that improved its distance by about 15%. It also got me into playing around with hand slings.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 5:44pm

I'm glad you like them Morpy. I've been around, just haven't thought of anything to ask in a while. Hahaha

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15)