Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Practice Glandes (Read 4271 times)
Shale

Canada
Practice Glandes
Mar 31st, 2017 at 10:42am

It occurs to me that a good practice glande might be a rugby ball keyring with the ring cut off. Here is what I have in mind:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/rugby-ball-keyring_123892751.html?spm=a27...

They are the right size and shape, and although I wouldn't want to get hit by one, it probably wouldn't cause lasting damage.

These keyrings cost $1.50 US per unit, but you have to buy them in bulk. However, I'm sure that there are retailers out there who sell them individually.

Shale

As he that bindeth a stone in a sling, so is he that giveth honor to a fool. (Proverbs 26.8)

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Re: Practice Glandes
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 1:16pm

Well, the problem would be the weight. There are mini foam footballs, I have one and use it inside (its barely as wide as my hand) sometimes as safe slinging ammo. And it works alright, but some toy things like that might not have enough weight to it. You could, however add something in the middle of it to have more weight while still being soft I suppose.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 2:28am

I have a bouncy ball in the shape of an American football which looks perfect and had probably just about enough weight but that is too hard for indoor use and that I wouldn't want to lose out in the field but I am thinking in the future I could use it to make a mould for either clay shot or maybe even lead shot.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 3:34pm

When I first got into slinging, before I felt safe with lethal ammo, I used pine cones to practice with... the new ones that hadn't spread open yet. 
   A good intermediate ammo between pine cones and lethal ammo is Horse Chestnuts (husks on).  Though you wouldn't want to get hit with one they are much softer than rocks.
   This is a  little off topic but if you want a projectile that will fly unbelievably far try golf balls.  The trick is to position your hand and wrist to attain a perfect backspin, otherwise your golf ball projectile will slice to the left or right. There are threads here about backspin.  Once you master perfect backspin you can watch your golf balls sail over the hills and far, far away.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 6:53am

currently using sockballs with weights in the centre.
No you don't use them on people like normal sock balls.
But what you do get is a rock sized, shaped and weighted missile that is pretty much indestructible, won't bounce back and is cheap to make.

Currently trying to source either large ball bearings or cheap lumps of lead.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 4:12pm

I have some suggestions CA. People who sell tires and rims or maybe like a repair shop, because of a recent ban, can't use lead weights that used to be used, so many have a bunch laying around they will give away free. Also, you could spend a afternoon diving in a popular fishing spot to find free lead sinkers, among other lost items.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 5:18am

Going to try for wheel weight, cheers.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 5:41am

Meine Art von Sockenball. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=suwLfksonh4

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 12:56pm

Hope you find em. Although, it was a recent ban in the U.S I'm not sure about England (if they still use them or banned them long ago).

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 6:39pm

If I may ask, how are you going to make your lead glandes CA? What type of mold? I might want to buy one, as one of my parents is in the tire buisness and brought the fact of lead weights being banned and then having a lot to my attention. But I have no molds or knowledge on how to do it.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 6:45pm

I would offer to trade some lead weights to you in return for a mold or whatever, but the shipping cost (because of the weight) would be insane. Especially sending them all the way from the U.S. To Britain.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2017 at 4:48pm by Drakolith »  

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 4:51pm

Although, I'm not 100% sure we still have them.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 8:00am

not making lead glandes.
just want lead weights to put in the middle of a sockball.
Wasn't planning on melting anything down.

I suppose I could make a mould to make plaster lead moulds for lead glandes.
But currently just making the plastic moulds and rollers for clay glandes.

One thing at a time - well about 5, but you know what i mean Smiley

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2017 at 8:24am

Alrighty. Best of luck with that! I might buy one... or two... or three, we will have to see.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #14 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 4:56am

Plaster of Paris can be quite dangerous as a mold. After hardening, should be left to dry, and further dried at ~below 100C. It retains tiny ammount of water ,even chemically bound. Which can result in exploding mold ,or better ,just bubbling the lead inside it.Dried properly, it's a very soft material, and safe to use, will last for a few casts only.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man)