Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What do you love most about slinging? (Read 2797 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
What do you love most about slinging?
Mar 30th, 2017 at 11:34pm

We alll love slinging, obviously. Some love it, some don't, I'd just like to see why y'all like it personally. For me, its the feeling of power when holding/using a sling, the thought of using ancient technology, the feeling when you hit your target, the satisfying thud when you hit a tree, the sounds some stones make in the air (I like the sound but those stones aren't accurate, I think it's because of the air) the splash of a shot in water...

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Re: What do you love most about slinging?
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 1:02am

for me it was easier to begin and maintain the interest ,because it is very challenging and more importantly demands less.

i ve written elsewhere that if it wasn't the infinite ammo, the easiness to deploy and practice anywhere, the fact that although a weapon, strangers never get spooked or afraid of it,
i wouldn't spent so many hours slinging
i liked archery and airgunning a lot as a kid (and still) but since they don't have the above characteristics and they are very expensive i couldn't train with them enough to create interest

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 6:49am

The ability to throw something so far you can no longer see it.
For me that was the magic moment.

Over the years it's brought me travel to foreign places, a group of good friends and the opportunity to be the first person in the world - ever - to do certain things.

So it started with that first good distance throw, over 30 years ago and has evolved over time to become a fairly major part of my life.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 7:29am

I like the mystery of it. Most sports out there have been studied to death. Archery is a good example. You could fill a small library with everything written about the Bow and Arrow. Not so with a sling. It's virgin territory. The Wild West of primitive weapons.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 10:37am

I like that you can make your own slings. There's something great about turning a bunch of string into an effective tool for lobbing rocks. It's like two hobbies that go hand in hand for me- making slings and slinging.

You could make your own bow and arrows, but realistically you need to be highly skilled and well equipped to make it as good or better than what you can buy. Also portability is an issue.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 7:54pm

I've started slinging again and at this point in time, its just a way for me to think. Plus i've noticed that i sling better when i'm not focused on it entirely. Just put some earbuds in, listen to some chill music and sling for an hour or two.  Smiley

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 2:32am

We'll I would write down my reasons but I would just be echoing everyone else's. The biggest though had to be the feeling of missing 10 times in a row, almost giving up, then just nailing that next throw. A direct hit can make you forget all about the misses.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 2:57pm

I am really easy to amuse.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 3:54pm

For me it's the simplicity of the sling. It's something I could easily put together from things around me with no assistance whatsoever from modern technology. If you think about it there are very few such things like that left.  Yes, you could make a bow and arrows, but without any modern conveniences that would be difficult and time consuming.  To make a sling all you need is some plant fiber to twist up and you're there.  Or some animal hide.  I also like the fact that the sling is difficult to be accurate with... not everyone can do it.  It takes time and effort to be good with a sling.  I also like the power of it. Those unfamiliar with it don't really respect it's skull cracking ability.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 8:33pm

I completely agree Ratman.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Wongso
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 6:40pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Apr 1st, 2017 at 2:57pm:
I am really easy to amuse.

So am I  Grin

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 8:18pm

Power.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 8:33pm

Now that's a proper answer Timpa Cheesy

Hyvää juhannusta!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Leon
Tiro

Sorry for the stupid questions,
i'm new here.

Wervershoof, the Netherlands
Reply #13 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 10:23am

HAVING THE DESTRUCTIVE FORCE OF THE AIR AND THE EARTH IN MY HANDS, MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

https://www.facebook.com/leon.degraaf.35  
IP Logged

Leon
Tiro

Sorry for the stupid questions,
i'm new here.

Wervershoof, the Netherlands
Reply #14 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 10:32am

Now a more serious thing. I've, probably like other people here, been interested in airguns, firearms, bows, slingshots, you name it for a long time. The differences in the aforementioned weapons is one thing for me: interaction. With a gun you simply pull a trigger, which is boring. A bow or slingshot has a bit more interaction, but you still only really pull back on a string. When it comes to slinging however, you basically do everything yourself. And the thought that i, personally, by the help of a simple string, threw a rock so hard it brought down a small building, gives so much satisfaction it beats all other weapons for me.

All the other reasons i like them so much have already been mentioned.

https://www.facebook.com/leon.degraaf.35  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)