Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Sling Accuracy. How do you think it's achived? (Read 10770 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Sling Accuracy. How do you think it's achived?
Reply #45 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 1:41pm

Very insightful HeavyHanded.

Another thing to practice for those interested in the fig-8 is to create a lag angle on the sling at the "pull"  into the powerstroke that gives you very low leverage and therefore creates more resistance to the initial "pull" into the powerstroke.

This allows you to pull harder and slower into the powerstroke with your arm. Essentially creating a high torque/low rpm type scenario with your arm which gives you a more efficient and controllable movement with the sling.

So for newer slingers heres a little secret.  By definition you cannot slow down the movement of the sling much without losing a lot of speed. What you can do is set up the powerstroke so that your arm is pulling harder and slower. The slower your arm is moving the more it becomes a rudder to carefully guide the last arc of the sling instead of trying to violently swing it and aim at the same time.

IP Logged

HeavyHanded
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Upstate, NY
Reply #46 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 9:46am

Here is another element on my incremental path to improved accuracy.

A big part of accuracy being consistency, I switched recently from a bare crown knot to a plastic bead that covers the knot and allows for the exact same release friction every time.

This has helped. If before I could play catch at 30 yards and someone could catch the ball 30% of the time without moving their feet, now it is closer to 75% of the time. Maybe half would hit them somewhere if they didn't react.

Realizing I do NOT have any sort of natural talent for slinging I continue to look for ways to make it easier. If it were as close as possible to something I can already do - throw a ball or toss a javelin, maybe it would improve my consistency and then accuracy can be worked toward in a systematic way.

per the pics, I show the bead, then the bead as I normally hold it, lastly the bead as I have been experimenting - holding it like a claw, hand as it would be if I were holding a ball. I use a figure 8 and simply wind up and throw, there is no release of thumb in place of opening hand, just open the hand.

I have tried this with the bead and some of my knots and it seems to have helped accuracy yet again. I was surprised that it didn't feel like a weak hold when slinging rocks compared to tennis balls.
Food for thought.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #47 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 9:53am

Claw type hold... Interesting. I think I'm going to have to try that out sometime soon.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #48 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 10:12am

Tongue Wink

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #49 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 10:52am

Cool

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #50 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 10:54am

Die Perle hat sich bewährt.  Aber ich verwende sie heute nicht mehr.
Das ist meine jetzige Lösung.  Funktioniert hervorragend.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #51 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 11:00am

Im sort of like you Heavyhanded. I want to make it as easy as possible. I use a 3 finger grip. I feel like the more surface area of contact you have on a tab the less force you have to grip the tab or cord with. I find a well made tab gives an extremely smooth, quick release.

I like the idea of a plastic tab. How is it holding up to wear and tear? I originally used a leather tab but found when it would get wet it would release slower and mess up my timing. Quite significantly at times. Plastic is a good way around that. I use a paracord tab. It also seems to work well.

IP Logged

HeavyHanded
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Upstate, NY
Reply #52 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 11:27am

Morphy wrote on Sep 13th, 2017 at 11:00am:
Im sort of like you Heavyhanded. I want to make it as easy as possible. I use a 3 finger grip. I feel like the more surface area of contact you have on a tab the less force you have to grip the tab or cord with. I find a well made tab gives an extremely smooth, quick release.

I like the idea of a plastic tab. How is it holding up to wear and tear? I originally used a leather tab but found when it would get wet it would release slower and mess up my timing. Quite significantly at times. Plastic is a good way around that. I use a paracord tab. It also seems to work well.

I have used wooden beads before and they did not hold up well, probably the hole was too large and overall size of the bead too small.

These are holding up very well, despite being pretty thin at the base where the crown not is partially recessed. Have whacked it on aluminum pool frame a bunch of times and no problem. They are made from the cut stick backer from a commercial paper cutter. Am pretty sure its just #2 plastic.

In fact this entire sling is holding up incredibly compared to past efforts. Gutted 550 paracord with a four strand flat braid for the retention loop and line, Rockman type split pouch, four strand round release line into the bead/crown knot.

It doesn't make a nice crack on release, more of a whomp,  but it is showing zero wear and that with a fair amount of stone through it - mostly tennis balls though.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #53 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 11:50am

Jaegoor. I am always amazed by your work, have you ever made an ugly sling?

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #54 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 12:15am

for me when i think about it i dont hit my target the thing that i have learned is you need to collect a bunch of rocks or what not that are roughly the same weight and shape and just throw often when i was good at it before i got busy and have gone 5 or so months without throwing i just went out and knocked bits of scrap wood off things and threw at some trees walking around throwing at things till i started getting how high to hold at certain distances

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)