Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Sling Accuracy. How do you think it's achived? (Read 10790 times)
HeavyHanded
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Upstate, NY
Re: Sling Accuracy. How do you think it's achived?
Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2017 at 7:20am

Rat Man wrote on Apr 3rd, 2017 at 3:54pm:
   Everything written above is absolutely correct. Consistent ammo is important. The most important thing is practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, etc....  it took years for me to become relatively accurate. I still couldn't compete with Jaegoor but at least I can hit what I'm aiming at a lot of the time now.
   A few things that I didn't see mentioned above that are important for accuracy... don't throw at 100% full power. Most of our experienced members sling at somewhere around 75 to 85% full power.  The difference in distance and hitting power is negligible.  The difference in accuracy is immense. 
   This leads to my next bit of advice, and this applies to any activity or sport from bowling to pool to martial arts to throwing a baseball.  Make sure that your muscles are loose when you sling. If you are straining and tight you will never be accurate in slinging or anything else. RELAX or accuracy will evade you forever.

The above two bits are priceless.

Recently my consistency has taken a huge turn in the good direction, meaning now I finally have a real foundation to build some accuracy instead of the odd shot that actually hits well - which is still great fun but not so good for improvement.

Don't try for 100% power, and keep things nice and loose.

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Central U.S. Great Lakes Area
Reply #16 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 6:46pm

When slinging the stone travels along the tangent velocity of a rotating sling. If the sling is traveling not in a circle, but in an ellipse, and the lengthened end is pointing toward your target you have much more room for error and are more likely to hit the target Wink. I find that this technique works best when using a Balearic, helicopter, or similar sidearm throw. When I came up with this and integrated it into my regular technique my accuracy greatly improved. To make the sling travel in an elliptical pattern, simply taking a step and moving your arm to the front of the body to follow through is sufficient. This technique is very similar to how Luis Pons Livermore throws and I believe this is how he achieves such great accuracy.

A knifeless man is a lifeless man.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #17 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 7:48pm

Toby, could you get us a video of this? I'm not the best when it comes to interpreting body movements by text alone.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 9:09pm

Drakolith wrote on Jun 8th, 2017 at 7:48pm:
Toby, could you get us a video of this? I'm not the best when it comes to interpreting body movements by text alone.

You could look at a video of Luis Pons Livermore, I know David Morningstar uploaded a great video to youtube of him slinging in slow motion, but I will try to record myself doing this if you want.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #19 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 2:51am

That would be nice. Especially if you could go through the movements you've described slowly a few times. Of course, only if it's not a bother.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 7:15am

it's practice. Pure and simple.

If you look at the wo guys who are currently at the top of the balearic target slinging tree. Jaegoor and luis, they practice A LOT.
Both have their own permament sling ranges and both use consistent ammo.

So that's one level of slinging.
And it has quite specific parameters that most of us will never get the chance to use on a long term basis.

Personally I like to sling with different sized, shape and weight missiles.  It's harder to hit stuff but with sufficient practice you get more accurate with any ammo. and it has much better application in the real world.

That said - both luis and jaegoor can pretty much hit you at any distance with any ammo. And yes I do speak from experience lol

At the end of the day good technique comes from practice, not necessarily the other way round.

Consistent ammo is a lot less important than most of you believe (says the guy selling the moulds to make consistent ammo). http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1496247190/2#2
At the end of the day the ammo is less significant than the sheer number of hours you put in training your muscle memory. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #21 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 7:16am

TobyAttle wrote on Jun 8th, 2017 at 6:46pm:
. If the sling is traveling not in a circle, but in an ellipse, and the lengthened end is pointing toward your target you have much more room for error and are more likely to hit the target

i discovered the same thing in december , it improved my accuracy being conscious about it.
it's so simple logic that i was wondering if every accurate slinger knew it .

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 7:18am

you might just as well say; overhand throws are more accurate than helicopter throws.

Any time you reduce the plane of release you cut down the likelyhood of the missile going it's own way.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #23 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 8:35am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 7:18am:
you might just as well say; overhand throws are more accurate than helicopter throws.

Any time you reduce the plane of release you cut down the likelyhood of the missile going it's own way.

I wish there was a way to prove this for sure. One of the things we lack in the slinging community is a large group of people to pool data from.  There are many questions we could answer on technique if we had millions of people refining slinging to an Olympic-esque level.

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #24 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 10:06am

johan wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 7:16am:
. If the sling is traveling not in a circle, but in an ellipse, and the lengthened end is pointing toward your target you have much more room for error and are more likely to hit the target

i discovered the same thing in december , it improved my accuracy being conscious about it.

Does this differ from saying that your arm/hand is moving directly towards the target on release? Surely that is what converts the circular path of the sling into an ellipse.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #25 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 10:32am

@wanderer no difference
just some people do a more circular motion with the arm and it's more difficult to release at the right time .

IP Logged

HeavyHanded
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Upstate, NY
Reply #26 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 1:27pm

I am slowly putting together a list of factors that are not instinctive for me but all need to be represented.

Not trying for full power is huge.

Keeping loose is huge.

I recently began prompting myself to myself to get my arm fully extended on the release. This has made a big difference not only in improving consistency, but has led to an increase in velocity without putting any more muscular power into the swing.

IDK if my arm is even getting to a fully extended state, but just prompting myself to try has proven a big help.

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 1:21am

wanderer wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 10:06am:
johan wrote on Jun 9th, 2017 at 7:16am:

Does this differ from saying that your arm/hand is moving directly towards the target on release? Surely that is what converts the circular path of the sling into an ellipse.

When I sling I am less conscious about where my hand is moving, and more about where the sling is moving. Imagine the sling as an extension to your arm, and the pouch is your new hand. When I release the pouch is moving along the ellipse and toward the target, my hand is also moving toward the target, but at the moment of release crosses over for the follow- through. Hoped that helped. I was slinging the other day and was surprised when I got three out of four rocks in a row in a four inch grouping from ten meters using this technique.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 1:41pm

Ich habe das genaue zielen hier schon erklärt. Tun sie es und haben sie Erfolg .

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #29 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 5:34pm

Jaegoor wrote on Jun 11th, 2017 at 1:41pm:
Ich habe das genaue zielen hier schon erklärt. Tun sie es und haben sie Erfolg .

do you have any link?
or
do you remember the title of the post?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy)