Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Sling Accuracy. How do you think it's achived? (Read 10545 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Sling Accuracy. How do you think it's achived?
Mar 29th, 2017 at 8:42am

I've heard some say to let go of the release cord when the knot is over your target. I've also heard some say to try and stop your hand over the target. Lastly I've heard many say that archiving accuracy with a sling depends on practice and developing instinct, I lean more towards this. What are y'alls theories/beliefs on this?

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Sling Accuracy. How do you think it's achived?
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 9:29am

The two big things I think are important are using good consistent ammunition and dissecting your sling throw into individual parts and modifying/practicing each part until you get the best results. If you want to really understand the mindset youtube a video on the indvidual parts of a baseball pitch. It's highly refined and consistent. And it works.

Can't give more specific info than that because unlike a baseball pitch there are many ways to sling.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:07am

one thing is sure ,don't stop your hand, follow through.

slinging(and generally throwing) is dynamic ,rifle shooting,archery, slingshot shooting etc are more static.

although im not as accurate as Jaegoor yet  Tongue i believe that aiming can be done but i have to say sling is the most difficult instrument to aim with.(If you think there is another please tell me.)

i'm thinking of writing some of my ideas on aiming with a sling but i want to write it nicely and not hastily.

for now i recommend practicing but not the kind of practice most think "i'll just throw stones around and someday it will come to me", but with intent, train your will to hit the target

try to pay attention to every little movement during the throw, fix what you think is wrong, learn what you must do to hit the target try to repeat it.

learning/training is mind over body
using the skill is body over mind (instinctive)

i recommend playing darts. it may not help you with the technique but i believe it will train your mind.

also i want to add: have you ever played pool? playing pool will show you how the mind can see what it needs to be done but the body won't listen ,very frustrating sometimes

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 10:37am

To build it up quickly (relatively) you need consistent ammo. Not necessarily fixed target and fixed distance. But consistent ammo really helps.

That said, if you use picked up stones, it'll tak longer but your body will learn to adjust for different types of ammo.

I'm pretty accurate with a tennis ball up to around 50 metres, particularly with moving targets.
But that's because i spent 10 years slinging for a moving dog.

But it pretty much is practice, practice and then a bit more practice. Videos are good too. Surprising what you learn watching yourself sling.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 4:21pm

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Feel free to post any more. Oh, and I have played pool before.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 6:41pm

Get a friend to play catch with you. They would use s baseball glove or even better a lacrosse stick and it will make you throw not just accurately but also keep you from shooting too hard.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 11:35pm

Tomas wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 6:41pm:
Get a friend to play catch with you. They would use s baseball glove or even better a lacrosse stick and it will make you throw not just accurately but also keep you from shooting too hard.

+1 Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 12:21am

Alex ich möchte sehen ihre Fähigkeit mit einem Tennisball auf ein bewegliches Ziel auf 50m Distanz

Wink

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

SlingerDave

Stop!!! Let me hide behind
this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 1:33pm

Like the rest of us, I'm a long shot from being a deadeye slinging, but I try to think of the path the stone will take.

For example, when slinging balearic style I envision the upward curve of the stone and adjust myself to the target.

But... this will work best if the ammunition is consistent.

Those are my thoughts on the topic.

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 1:47pm

Jaegoor wrote on Mar 30th, 2017 at 12:21am:
Alex ich möchte sehen ihre Fähigkeit mit einem Tennisball auf ein bewegliches Ziel auf 50m Distanz

Wink

lol I never said it was a small target Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 3:23pm

To be reasonably accurate I simply empty my head, focus on where I want to hit, and throw.  Seems to work well, for me.  I can`t think of how to swing the sling or the ballistic stuff at all when I try to aim at stuff. So I has to work on slinging styles and tecnical minutiae separately.  And it takes, as they say, lots of practice.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 5:08pm

Years ago I heard a Chinese master of martial arts say this about mastering Kung Fu and it's only now that I've been slinging for awhile that it makes sense.  "Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way."  This thread makes me think of that.....  If I remember it correctly it was Jet Li from the movie The Forbidden Kingdom. 65% on rotten tomatoes. Definitely worth a watch.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 7:58pm

At the beginning its learning and mastering muscle memory. After a while your body can just pick up a sling and shoot right where you want too. At least that's what its been like for me recently. Smiley

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 3:54pm

Everything written above is absolutely correct. Consistent ammo is important. The most important thing is practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, etc....  it took years for me to become relatively accurate. I still couldn't compete with Jaegoor but at least I can hit what I'm aiming at a lot of the time now.
   A few things that I didn't see mentioned above that are important for accuracy... don't throw at 100% full power. Most of our experienced members sling at somewhere around 75 to 85% full power.  The difference in distance and hitting power is negligible.  The difference in accuracy is immense. 
   This leads to my next bit of advice, and this applies to any activity or sport from bowling to pool to martial arts to throwing a baseball.  Make sure that your muscles are loose when you sling. If you are straining and tight you will never be accurate in slinging or anything else. RELAX or accuracy will evade you forever.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 8:41pm

Consistent ammo. Practice. Target that allows you to actually aim (not just distance throwing or "that group of trees") and preferably re-use ammunition. Refine form. Post videos of form on here if you want a critique. Practice. Find a perfect sling length and type for you. Practice.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man)