Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Knife Atlatl
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 3:51pm

You're bored, aren't you?   Grin

You need to research an arrow thrower, it is similar to an atlatl but was designed to throw arrows or other short darts.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 5:16pm

I like it. I used to also do something similar. This needs to have its own catagory. Like post-apocalyptic weaponry.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 10:07pm

Great, loved it Cool

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 4:47pm

If we're talking post apocalyptic weaponry I have a shoe horn I converted into a sword Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 6:07pm

Hey that will work Otter! I remember making a crossbow out of tent poles when I was 11. Man the stuff my parents let me do. Talk about idle hands... Tongue

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 3:00am

I was actually amazed at just how well it works Cheesy It's one of the long metal ones and I just flattened it and wrapped on a handle. Didn't even need to sharpen it still sticks into a block of wood. I have pictures buried in my computer somewhere.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 8:30pm

Smiley Thank you all! Smiley

Bill, Morphy and Kicktheotter: do you have any pictures?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 12:20am

No sir, this was when I was a kid. I got rid of all the evidence... er... "projects"  years ago.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 3:46am

Here it is. I deliberately used a rough but of leather that has lots of hanging parts do it looks a bit post-apocalyptic Cheesy

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 6:39pm

The shape is a bit like Macuahuitl.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #11 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 11:31pm

That's quite sleek KTO, I kinda wanna make one myself. I have a few questions, how did you flatten it so well and basically leave no marks that a hammer would make? Also how durable is it? And where did you get the long strip of leather for the handle? What I have available to me is bags of scrap leather at hobby lobby, which are not very long, they do have ones that are like shoelaces, but I would prefer something with more width like yours for more comfort. I'm a big fan of homade weapons made of simple things. Anyone have any others like that?  Shocked

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 4:28pm

I literally just took a hammer to it on an old metal table Cheesy The trick was to spray paint it black afterwards. Hid the marks quite well. Durability-wise, I wouldn't trust my life to it and I do fear hitting anything more solid than slightly old wood at the wrong angle could bend it but I was surprised how well it chops. I attempted to sharpen the edge a bit but I didn't have the right tools or the patience and it actually turned out not to be necessary; I could get it to stand in a tree stump with only the minimum effort, almost just by letting it drop. Still, in reality it's definitely more for show than real use. Particularly movement sideways, I feel could bend it fairly easily. The bottom "hook" is actually bent and I still don't know how that happened and kind of goes to show that it isn't really meant for such hard use. The leather I got from an old leather jacket which I cut up and used to make lamellar armour. This was one of the scraps which is why it has those weird projections and hanging parts.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2017 at 8:36am

Ah, I see.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Neandythal
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

La Mesa, Ca
Reply #14 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 2:48pm

Hello all, I'm Andy in La Mesa California. I make and use atlatls, biggie darts, thong thrown darts, make arrows, bows, stone axes. Others things too. Try to use natural harcested or collected materials. Just joined. I'm a happy Hunter/gatherer or just a caveman.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)