Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reccomendations for books to a beginner sling braider? (Read 2040 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reccomendations for books to a beginner sling braider?
Mar 14th, 2017 at 1:12am

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for books that contain braids that you have found useful, things you wish you knew when you were a beginner, or think would be useful to a beginner in sling braiding, etc? Oh, and please try and keep the prices decent, not 50$ like some braiding books I've seen talked about on here  Shocked

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Re: Reccomendations for books to a beginner sling braider?
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 2:26pm

For simple braids and slings, it may be easier to learn from online tutorials and youtube videos. Books are great, and most of what I know about braiding I learned from books, but I don't know of any that have much in the way of instructions for braiding slings. I'd say it depends on your learning style. If you are happy learning to braid from books and then figuring out how to use that knowledge for making slings on your own, then I can recommend some titles to you, but if you want step by step sling making instructions, then you will probably be disappointed with most braiding books.

Although they may or may not be in your price range, the books I learned the most from are The Ashley Book of Knots by Clifford W. Ashley, Braids: 250 Patterns from Japan, Peru, and Beyond by Rodrick Owen, and Sling Braiding of the Andes by Adele Cahlander.

I don't know if you looked an any of my braiding instructions or not, but there are some on my website (click the WWW button below), and I'm happy to answer questions about braids and slings. Also, there are several on this forum that are quite good at braiding, so searching for posts on the subject and asking questions is one of you best bets for learning.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 4:01pm

I understand there are not many books on slings, let alone sling bradining, so I was just asking for books that people have found useful for making slings, or think a beginner should use.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 4:05pm

This is very strange that most braiding books are so expensive. For curiosity's sake does anyone have any idea why that is?

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 4:26pm

I would just go by online, most braiding is pretty easy to learn.

Once you learn a basic flat braid for odd and even strand numbers you can extend it to however many cords you want. Round is more difficult and it took me awhile to find a good method but it still follows a pattern that you can do for 4 plus threads.

The only thing you might need a book for is very fancy braiding which isn't likely to add anything functional to a sling. But if you want to do that- go for it. I personally don't mind my slings being plain but effective!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 8:20pm

I don't know if there is a book on sling braiding, but everything you need to know is on this site with links to more info and vids. Takes a lot of searching and reading, but it's here. We have a slingers bible just waiting to be extracted from all the posts!

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 10:52pm

I think some of you misunderstand. I didn't mean  not to ask for books that are made for sling braiding, as I'm sure there are few, if any. I'm just talking about any type of braiding book you, yourself have found useful in braiding slings, and what you would recommend to a beginner in braiding slings.

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 7:34am

I'd rather watch a youtube video...

See one, do one.

Also, strive to master the basic 3 strand braid. Once you get it perfect, increase the strands.

Tha Kumihomo stuff is pretty but I don't think I have the patience for it  Embarrassed

Maybe some day I'll try...

Good luck finding a book....

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 2:32pm

The books I like, that I mentioned above, can be found for $20-$30 if you don't mind used books, but I don't know for sure why they are priced that way. From doing work with braiding and tutorials, I know it takes a lot of time to organize and illustrate instructions, as well as learning the techniques in the first place. Also, it seems to me that braiding, beyond the few common braids used for hair styles and simple crafts, is not all that common of a hobby, so the demand for books on the subject may not justify a large enough publishing run to keep the retail price low.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 4:00pm

I think this forum has a lot of great tutorials on different braids. I also find YouTube excellent for learning as well as whatever tutorials you might find on google.
The only book I have on braiding is the one mentioned above by Roderick Owen. Had a hard time finding it since it went out of print and I had to track down a copy from Australia lol
So between this site and YouTube, I bet you'd find 90% of what you're after

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris)