Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hola amigos and slanging aficionados! (Read 3668 times)
Huaraca
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Hola amigos and slanging aficionados!
Mar 8th, 2017 at 4:09pm

Howdy from Texas!  Cheesy

I'm an avid muzzle-loader and target shooter and cyclist and home brewer and sauer-kraut maker and sometimes rye bread baker.

I'm really, really terrible at archery. I have used an atl-atl and really like 'em.  I tried slinging many decades ago and hurt myself.  Shocked Tongue

Now that I'm older and actually know how to research a thing or two, I've been trying to get back into slinging.
Thus far I've made three slings, with a fourth underway. I'm making terra-cotta/ceramic glandes, thus far with mixed results.  Embarrassed My hope is that I'll be able to spend a few years butting up against the "learning curve" if I have reasonably consistent ammunition.  No lead glandes, since the metal is toxic... And I earmark all that kind of thing to black powder.

Fascinated by hill forts, slinging, and pre-contact New World archaeology.  A historian of the modern age, however.

Thanks for having me, and I hope to keep learning a lot here.  Wink

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Hola amigos and slanging aficionados!
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 5:01pm

Welcome from az Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

SlingerDave

Stop!!! Let me hide behind
this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 7:26pm

Howdy to you too!!!
Which part of Texas, we're as big as a country you know. Wink Tell me more about your smokepole, I have one myself.

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 4:24am

Welcome!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Huaraca
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 10:18am

SlingerDave wrote on Mar 8th, 2017 at 7:26pm:
Howdy to you too!!!
Which part of Texas, we're as big as a country you know. Wink Tell me more about your smokepole, I have one myself.

Bexar County.
I've got a .50 cal. patched-round-ball under hammer "chunk gun," a .50 cal. "Pennsyltucky rifle," a reproduction of a .58 cal. M1841 "Mississippi/Yaeger," a .32 cal. side-hammer... All percussion guns, although I've used a couple flintlocks from time to time and am trying to save up for one...

For the sling I'm making clay "bullets" roughly the size and shape of some of the examples online at the British Museum and elsewhere. I used to have a shelf of books on the Ancient Greeks, Celts, Romans, etc. but I gave those all away to my nephew.  For now I've still got my Inca Andean and Mexica "tematlatl" stuff to consult.  I'll have to get to hurling them soon!  Wink

IP Logged

SlingerDave

this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 2:29pm

Bexar County!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked I 'm in the northern part, about two miles south of Comal county. My own muzzleloader is a flintlock; 45. cal. southern mountain longrifle. It's nice to know there is another slinger around here. Smiley

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

Huaraca
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 5:27pm

I'm a Dave too... a doppelganger perhaps?! Grin

I'm not a slinger. At least not yet.  Just a "wannabe."  Embarrassed

I do believe that I may live in the closest dwelling to the exact geographic center of Bexar County, which it turns out is on the west side of San Antonio... No place hereabouts to practice I'm afraid to say... But sometime soon I'll get out into the back of beyond to try some hurling... "Duck!"  Shocked

IP Logged

SlingerDave

this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 8:36pm

Not a doppelganger, but definitely kindred spirits. Cool

I'm a little luckier, although I am still in suburbia. I got a patch of woods behind the back fence so I can sling long range and the community tennis court is a good option for practicing with tennis balls... or having a sling war. Roll Eyes

Soft ammunition is the best policy until basic release mechanics transfer from the brain to muscle memory. It hurts a whole lot less for the poor unfortunates who decide not to duck. Grin

IP Logged

Huaraca
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 11:11am

SlingerDave wrote on Mar 9th, 2017 at 8:36pm:
Not a doppelganger, but definitely kindred spirits. Cool

I'm a little luckier, although I am still in suburbia. I got a patch of woods behind the back fence so I can sling long range and the community tennis court is a good option for practicing with tennis balls... or having a sling war. Roll Eyes

Soft ammunition is the best policy until basic release mechanics transfer from the brain to muscle memory. It hurts a whole lot less for the poor unfortunates who decide not to duck. Grin

I'm not sure how competitive your are, but the first Sunday of every month, about 8:30am or so there is a friendly shoot at the Alamo Muzzle Loading Gun Club range in La Coste, over in Medina Co.

Cheers!
Thanks, all, for the welcome.  Cool

IP Logged

SlingerDave

this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 1:49pm

I have gone by that sign maybe 50 times over the years, but only when traveling with my family. I have had it in the plans to go one of these days, probably this summer when I finally get my driver's license. I'll definitely give you a heads up when I go. Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 5:16am

Hi, Huaraca. Welcome.  It sounds like you'll have much to add to our forums. I look forward to seeing you there.

IP Logged

Huaraca
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #11 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 10:09am

Thank you Rat Man!  Unfortunately, I keep just making new slings and clay sling bullets... I prudently reviewed the relevant "local laws" in San Antonio, and the rock sling is specifically identified by name as illegal to use!  Shocked Sad

Uh, "don't bring your slings to town...?!"  Wink

So I'll have to "head outta Dodge" soon and see how these work! Cheesy

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 10:59am

You could always use tennis balls outside and a rolled up pair of socks inside.

If you have a dog, the tennis balls and sling are then very easy to explain.

BTW, welcome to the site.  If you have the ability and feel like it, post pictures of your slinging adventures.

IP Logged

SlingerDave

this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #13 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 9:11pm

Well... Sad that's a new developement, you wouldn't mind posting the source for that would you. I have enough slings that I pick and choose them as clothing accessories whenever I go into town. Cheesy Good thing I do my slinging a few miles beyond city limits.  Smiley

IP Logged

Huaraca
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #14 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 3:01pm

"But it is my hand-woven belt? Carry strap? Oh, its a headband!  Tongue Wink

Here's the law:
: https://www.municode.com/library/tx/san_antonio/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris)