Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whipping length? (Read 1136 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Whipping length?
Mar 7th, 2017 at 4:09pm

I was wondering if there was a certain length for whipping, or if it's just decided by the sling maker, or any other system for deciding?

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Re: Whipping length?
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 4:19pm

Oh, and if there are any could anyone link me to whip wrap tutorials? Last time I tried it didn't work, so I might need a new tutorial for it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 5:58pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Country_whipping]

This^ I also use something similar to sail makers whipping frequently in sling making. Sewing an overhand knot or whipping to the main body of the cord is an iron clad way of making sure it will never come loose. I use it for more than just whipping. It's pretty handy. West Country Whipping is also useful at the end of a release cord for making it heavier and larger in diameter if that is something you prefer.

As for how much is too much, I personally don't use any whipping at the pouch end of the release cord. I prefer making a sling that doesn't have the sling stone hit that area enough to need it. Leather can be sewn on as is done with Balearic slings though if you're having issues. Ideally the stone should exit the pouch with as little contact as possible with the release cord, both for sling durability and accuracy.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 9:56pm

http://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/common-whipping Would this work well, to go after the pouch on the release cord? And yeah i wish I didn't need it but I do and if for whatever reason I don't, I can always untie it.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 6:39am

Just my personal opinion , no. It says on the article it's prone to slipping. On a sling with all the movement only using that knot will mean it eventually comes loose. That's been my experience anyways.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 3:16pm

On slings I usually use marline hitching or half hitching if I need a wrapping somewhere. Both are very difficult to untie.
As Morphy, I would not use common whipping. If it fails, the full whipping gets undone.

The length will depend on your cord diameter and what you need it for. So it's your decision.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)