Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flat and round braids: Benefits and problems (Read 1640 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Flat and round braids: Benefits and problems
Mar 3rd, 2017 at 11:34pm

I've seen a lot of slings on here with flat braids and have made one myself with a flat braid. But I've found it causes massive air resistance, probably due to it being flat and catching the air. As to round cordage it seems like it cuts through the air better. So what are the reason for flat braids being used in many slings? And what are the benefits/problems with flat and round braids? Thanks!  Smiley

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Re: Flat and round braids: Benefits and problems
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 5:12am

A flat braid should have a thinner frontal area and less wind resistance than a round braid, if it is flying right.

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 10:00am

I used flat early on simply because a 3 strand flat braid is easy to make. But I prefer round. So long as the cord isn't overly large either one works ok.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 10:49am

The main reason most of mine end up as flat braids is simply because that's just the braid I use and the reason I use it is because it's easy Cheesy I haven't noticed as much of a difference but then a lot of things affect the drag in the air I guess along with weight of the cord, it's length and then perhaps even how tight the braid is. I have wondered if the one round braided sling I made might catch the air more because of the overlaps of the braid.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 5:20pm

This is very interesting. Someone should do a little experimenting on the subject?  Huh

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 5:42pm

Maybe someone knows of an expert in aerodynamics?  Grin

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 7:49pm

That would be Mas.  He really is a rocket scientist.

But, air resistance is a function of surface area.  When you are figuring surface area, you have to include total surface area.  That means all the bumps and pockets between strands will have to be figured out for the total surface area.

Or you could just use a leather pocket and para cord. Or a woven pocket with para cord.   

And if you want really low air resistance, use Kevlar fishing line.  However Kevlar doesn't really handle abrasion very well, so you will need to watch that.

All that being said, unless your cords are thicker than your thumb, you probably won't notice any difference.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 1:40am

Der  Grund ist folgender. Ein flaches Geflecht ist beim schießen besser zu kontrollieren. Es verdreht sich nicht um die eigene Achse. Es gibt auch runde geflechte die sehr seitenstabil sind. Aber sie sind kompliziert. Paracord zum Beispiel ist zwar sehr reißfest , aber die Seitenstabilitat ist sehr gering. Selbst sehr gute Runde geflechte ermüden mit der Zeit. Flache geflechte sind weniger anfällig.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris)