Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flat Trajectory, Balaeric Style (Read 2527 times)
Shale

Canada
Flat Trajectory, Balaeric Style
Feb 28th, 2017 at 12:50am

When I throw Balaeric style, I find that the stone tends to arc somewhat. This is in contrast to the figure-8 and overhand styles which usually give the stone a fairly flat trajectory. Is arcing a general feature of the Balaeric style? If it isn't, does anyone have advice for achieving a flat trajectory with this style?

Shale

As he that bindeth a stone in a sling, so is he that giveth honor to a fool. (Proverbs 26.8)

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Flat Trajectory, Balaeric Style
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 1:36am

It does have an arc. Not always but if you're coming from below it will arc more than if it's a more sidearm or overhandish balearic. find Balearic works really well when aiming at higher targets while overhand styles work well at targets at body level.
I think it's good to learn all the skills and apply them as needed

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 8:41am

What Tomas said^

In other words, either you are throwing faster with the figure 8- hence the true flatter trajectory or its an illusion created by the pouch being higher in relation to the target at release using the figure 8.

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 3:43am

Are you sure your arc isn't induced by spin?

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

thabaill
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 7:23am

IP Logged

Shale

Canada
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 6:14pm

It's possible that the arc is due to spin, but I think it's more likely due to my technique. I started practicing without a stone to get a sense of how my arm, wrist and hand are oriented at the moment I release the cord. The underside of my arm seems to be oriented at about 110 degree angle and when I flick my wrist, it propels the stone at an upward angle. When the weather improves, I'm going to experiment with different ways of releasing the cord to see if I can reduce the arc (though, as Tomas and Morphy point out, a flat trajectory might just be more difficult to achieve with this throwing style).

Shale

As he that bindeth a stone in a sling, so is he that giveth honor to a fool. (Proverbs 26.8)

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 6:51am

Maybe you need to adjust the rotation prior to throwing, I found that when I spin it round (as if throwing underarm style) and release sidearm from that rotation it imparts a strong upwards component to the velocity.

See me doing it on the last throw here (deliberately)-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QKufh2K9oQ

If you watch videos of people throwing balaeric they usually adjust their rotation prior to shooting so it's more like helicopter which seems to cause a flatter trajectory.

See this video here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7aAz9Y2fbg

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 8:57am

Shale, when you say it arcs do you mean you feel you are throwing as fast as with the figure-8 but it still has a noticeably more curving trajectory? If so, I agree with Mark, its probably spin. I've gone through something similar with the Balearic.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 11:21pm

Whenever I throw it tends to arc in some way, up, down, left, right, depending on the throw. I think once slings spin they will always have a bit of an arc and never go completely straight. But I am a pretty new slinger compared to most here, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 10:45am

If you are throwing equally as hard with the same ammo the trajectories should be just about the same as far as flatness. Figure 8 will start higher but it would be equally flat.

You may want to experiment with where you keep the "rotor" of the throw. I've found that starting it further back allows for significantly more path of travel on the release throw and harder throws/flatter trajectories etc.

My personal throw isn't too dissimilar from Balearic style so you could compare your trajectory to this video, or post your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkAdj5wB1MQ

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Shale

Canada
Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 10:44pm

Thanks to everyone for responding! My Balaeric-style throws are definitely slower than my figure-8 throws. I haven't shot any videos of my slinging, but I would say that the parabolic height (is that the correct phrase?) of my throws is at least twice that of Dan's over the same distance.

I will try moving the rotor of my throws back to see if that makes a difference.

Shale

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 1:59pm

it depends entirely how hard you throw.
Simple as.

A hard throw will have a flatter trajectory over a short distance than a softer throw.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #12 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 10:02am

As mentioned, spin and speed affects trajectory. And ammo texture,shape,and overall aerodynamic properties. Smooth surface projectiles are less curving with spin.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15)