Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Slinging stories? (Read 6603 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Slinging stories?
Feb 24th, 2017 at 11:21pm

I was thinking today and thought it would be cool to hear from y'all if you have any slinging stories, bad accidents, almost bad accidents, amazing shots, fails, you know. I'll start it off with my own.

My story starts with me having two friends over who became interested in my slings, tried em out, I helped them make their own from my supplies and everything was cool, it was like we were a ancient sling squad or something. We even threw all at once once (on purpose) and that was cool, and by accident me and one of my friends threw at the same time and the rocks flew right under each other like a X. Oh whoops got off topic, supposed to tell you how I almost died. With beginners its expected for mistakes to happen, rocks drop out of the pouch, messing up throws. So while I was teaching them, one of them messed up and let go wayyy too late, causing it to shoot beside him and to the side a bit, and the rock flew right over my head, or maybe right at it.. I'm not sure I kinda saw what was coming and ducked. Then it slammed into the ground behind me. Me and that friend were wide eyed, stunned, and yelling, while the other had no idea what had happened.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: Slinging stories?
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 5:21am

Jeez. You gotta be careful with slings- When I'm showing someone how to sling sidearm I always stand to the right and behind (for right handers). You can misfire weakly in any direction but a late release on sidearm causes a very powerful misfire to the side. For overhead throws I like to be more behind and left, out of the line of the rotation. That or just teach with tennis balls.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 2:33am

I have a few stories that are all the same really so I can tell them as one story but whenever I just nail a shot, especially from a fair distance, seeing the rock arc in perfectly is such a great feeling. It's almost like slow motion just as you realise it's on target and then it hits. Hoping I'm going to get that feeling again soon Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 8:28am

Hmm... I thought this topic would be more interesting and get more replies.  Huh

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 11:23am

Drakolith a cousin in law of mine served in Iraq and saw a local slinger kill a bird in mid air. That's probably the coolest story I know of.

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 11:33am

I accidentally put one through  picture window and into an aquarium.  So, broken glass, water damage and dead pets, all in one throw mind you.  So much fail.   AHH my early days when I pretty much only knew underhanded. Embarrassed  This was during the height of the bank foreclosure frenzy in Las Vegas in 2010.  The cul-de-sac I lived on was more than 3/4 abandoned by that time.  Luckily, the house that I accidentally hit was abandoned for a few weeks so there was no danger of hurting anyone inside.  But I didn't know they left I such a hurry that they left pets inside.  The stone went through the  security barred porch, through the front window, across the living room and through the front of a 30 gallon aquarium that was still hooked up to the mains. I don't think it likely to have a more lucky/unlucky shot.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2017 at 10:49am by Arcane Tinker »  

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

HeavyHanded
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Upstate, NY
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 2:03pm

Here in upstate NY we've had a pretty good thaw, so all my tennis balls have been uncovered and I broke out my sling for the first time in a few months.

My kids were about 25 - 30 yards away standing 8-10 feet apart. My first cast since Fall I lobbed a shot between them.  At the same time my boy swung his hand around with his water bottle - whapped the bottle right out of his hand.

Beautiful

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 8:15pm

We had a member from Canada chase a black bear away from his dog with a sling.

I chased away some feral hogs by throwing rocks that hit the brush around a sow.  I had read the story about the bear and decided that I would try to hit trees and brush instead of the hog if the situation arose for me.  I also yelled.  And, as I had seen hogs in the area before, I was sort of prepared. 

I was afraid that if I hit the sow, it would be my luck that would cause her to charge me and try to rip my guts out.

IP Logged

SlingerDave

Stop!!! Let me hide behind
this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 9:53pm

My brother once knocked a running squirrel out of a tree by hitting the branch he was running on... the dog did the rest.

Also, while in the boy scouts our troop won a slinging contest in a roman themed competition. We felt pretty good about that. Cool

As for accidents, just read what I wrote about a week ago at the slings and slinging thread.

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 2:38am

I'm amazed I don't have more stories of near misses. Where I sling I have a large, vulnerable-looking window directly behind me. I've never had a stone slip out backwards but even so the possibility makes for a cheaper thrill than a theme park Cheesy
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2017 at 9:05am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 4:22pm

Oh this one is fairly recent. I sung a stone that hit a metal chair (I think it's metal.. but I recently shot through it and it looked like concrete but had bits of shine in it...) and the rock exploded and o went to go look and the rock was kinda a geode. Nothing super impressive just white crystals, still I thought it was cool and now display it by my slings.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 7:58am

So we're on a pebble beach in mallorca, last part of the day and we're having a total blast.

A young lady accidentally throws her sling in the water, not sure where the stone went.

After many attempts to retrieve the sling with a stick. Up steps our first hero: Uwe Schleudermacher.
Strips off: stark bollock naked and wades into the sea to retrieve the sling.
Picture is a pic of a pic from my camera, as I've not taken anything off the camera yet.

He retrieves the sling and strides out of the sea,  triumphant, and still completely naked, and not the slightest bit embarrassed.

Meanwhile, Pepi, as soon as he sees the sling lost, starts to gather leaves of a local plant, strips them down to fibres and begins making her a new sling.  By the time uwe had retrieved the sling Pepi had already started to braid the new one.
A few hours later, during dinner - and after I've trimmed the bits with the scissors on my geber -   he presents the new, completed braided sling to the overjoyed young woman (again can't remember her name).

Two total slinging heroes.
Pepi is also one of the best target slingers in the world. He could be anywhere from 60-90, small, weathered man with a perpetual smile. I think he adopted me as a sort of lucky mascot. I don't think either of us understood a single word the other said all week. But definitely one of my new slinging heroes. 

Uwe is the world's only full time professional slinger who makes his money from selling slings - with incredibly intricate patterns - and doing renectments during the tourist season.

Should anyone like the pictures of uwe emerging from the sea, danial craig style - but minus the swimming trunks - I'm open to monetary offers Smiley (discretion is, of course, guaranteed).
I have to say, considering how the cold the sea was - it's pretty impressive Wink

Naked german and a speed sling maker - all in the one story Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2017 at 10:53am by Curious Aardvark »  

uweback.jpg (42 KB | 70 )
uweback.jpg

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 11:00am

Another tale from mallorca 2017:

We were in  a car park, having an hour or so's sling training at the end of the day.
Target at one end, with hill behind it and us 20 metres away, bus at the far end.
On the other side of the car park they'd set up 3 drinks cans in a row. And were slinging at them from about 30 metres away.
Nobody was coming anywhere near close. Even luis pons couldn't get near them.

So from behind the line, I wound up a rock and knocked one of the cans flying with my first shot.

Now I could have done it again - but that would have just been showing off whistle . I accepted my round of applause and retired.
Nobody else hit a can after me either Smiley 

We had spent the day teaching school kids to sling with tennis balls. And after 4 hours of lobbing tennis balls at kids and other slingers - some from 50 metres away, the can was just a natural shot.

So while I did not win an actual trophy in 2017 - I am the unofficial: King Of The Can

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 12:23pm

Der parkplatz war toll. Auch der kreisende Stein.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 6:04pm

You just wanted to let everyone have a turn. Not fair if you hit all of them right? See I would've pushed my luck and completely spoiled the illusion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)