Slinging stories? (Read 6655 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Slinging stories?
Reply #15 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 7:00am

pretty sure I could have hit them again - maybe would have taken 3-4 shots to do it.
Outside of the fixed distance target shooting, I can pretty much hit anything at odd distances.

Was easily bouncing tennis balls off other slingers from 50 metres over a packed school playground the same day.

Comes of slinging stuff for bilbo for 10 years. I can actually hit a moving target much easier than a static one.

And odd targets at random distances are actully easier than a balearic target at 20 metres.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

SlingerDave

Stop!!! Let me hide behind
this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #16 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 7:31pm

It would not have been showing off!!!  Smiley It would only be showing off if you knocked the can off of somebody's head. Smiley

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 7:55pm

SlingerDave wrote on Mar 8th, 2017 at 7:31pm:
It would not have been showing off!!!  Smiley It would only be showing off if you knocked the can off of somebody's head. Smiley

Shoot, if thats the case you're a better slinger than I'll ever be. The most I can manage is putting out someone's cigarette with my sling stone. Tongue

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #18 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 4:26am

I've found it's best to not tell anyone what you're aiming at. The thing I hit is what I was aiming at...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 6:36am

lol I agree with all the comments.

I think randon targets are easier because it's done purely with the hindbrain.

With the fixed balearic target shooting you tend to get a couple good throws in on instinct and then start thinking about it. With a one off throw that never happens.

Interestingly if you watch someone target slinging for a while you can easily predict on any throw whether they'll hit or not purely by their pre-throw routine.

There are exceptions, pepi throws so fast and misses so infrequently that it's nearly impossible to call.
But for all the international guys - I was batting around .900 for calling the shots at the end of the day.   

Christian threw better when i was shouting at him (we proved this by my not shouting one round and he missed all 5) , Uwe throws better with a slow windup and less power - which is something he has a hard time doing - he just wants to throw everything at full power . I have no idea what my tells are, but would be interesting to find out.

Louis pons varies his windup number and you can generally tell if he'll hit or not, likewise with jaegoor, if he starts with a lot of rotations, he'll generally miss.
Probably indications that they've started thinking about the throw and are not just letting muscle memory do the job. With the top guys who do a lot of training, thinking about the throw is their worst enemy.
Jaegoor occasionally shows nerves in front of a noisy crowd. He's a lot better than he was a couple years ago (as the fact that he's won the big competition outright twice shows) - but every now and then the nerves still occasionally show.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

yonderstone

The valiant never taste
of death but once.

Oregon
Reply #20 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 2:16am

This isn't a great story but when I visited my brother and his wife it turned out that not only were they fellow slingers, but they wove their slings the exact same way that I did. We had lots of fun hurling stones over a cliff when I visted them in AR.

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Central U.S. Great Lakes Area
Reply #21 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 11:30pm

I was slinging in a field behind a school with a few friend when we had the great (sarcasm) idea to see if we could throw a stone over the field and on top of the roof of the school. Apparently I could, and also across the parking lot, over the trees, over a sidewalk and two streets and into a woman's front yard (a distance of about 300 meters). Not long after a middle-aged woman comes walking behind the school with her husband and screams, "You almost hit a child!"
At first me and my friends thought she was talking about me almost being hit by my friend who let go of the release cord a bit too late, but then she clarified that the stone had landed within three meters of her son. I felt really bad about putting her son in danger and never again did I sling anywhere near a residential area.

A knifeless man is a lifeless man.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #22 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 1:46am

Here's another one from me (I forgot about this thread). (This happened in April) So I had a 4 friends over to hang out in commemoration of my birthday, and, I introduced one of them to slinging, the rest had a bit of experience (I had taught two, and the other learned some things about slings in the scouts) So, the person who just learned  offered the opportunity to try and sling a stone into his hat he held at his stomach. I was against it, but at the same time I must admit that at some level I wanted to see what would happen. One of my friends took him up on that and slung a small stone (not full power) at him. Then... THWAK (the sound made us all cringe and go ooooowwwhhh. The stone struck him on the left side of his forehead, making him cradle his head for a good few minutes (he might have fallen to his knees too, I'm not quite sure). And it gave him a nice big lump. He said it still hurt the day after. I'm just glad we didn't have to go to the ER. This may seem kinda morbid, but I wish I recorded it.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #23 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 2:13am

TobyAttle wrote on Jun 5th, 2017 at 11:30pm:
"You almost hit a child!"

that's strange . if its 300m over trees and a school that means she couldn't see you. how did she know you did that?

IP Logged

TobyAttle
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Central U.S. Great Lakes Area
Reply #24 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 6:01pm

johan wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 2:13am:
TobyAttle wrote on Jun 5th, 2017 at 11:30pm:
"You almost hit a child!"

that's strange . if its 300m over trees and a school that means she couldn't see you. how did she know you did that?

I thought this was strange too. She must have seen the direction the fruit came from and gone to investigate, and she saw my friends and I slinging in the field behind the school.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2018 at 12:41am by TobyAttle »  

A knifeless man is a lifeless man.

IP Logged

Alex.Ost
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Freiburg
Reply #25 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 11:19am

Man, i was just at the lake near my House which had become my usual slinging place because theres plenty of good stones and when noone its in the lake is perfectly safe. So as i was slinging a couple of passersby were interested in what i was doing and found it quite interesting. There was also a guy on a holiday trip from San Francisco who striked up a conversation because he thought it was interesting. After that, a group of 13 kids probably from a neaby Kindergarden saw me and were totally psyched and insisted i show them a couple of times.
So up to that Point a really nice time doing my thing without any Problems like all the times before. I carried on slinging for a bit after the kids went, and then took the long way around the lake back home.
Then, on the other side of the lake i was stopped by three (!) police cars (theres always police close to the lake because of drug deals) who asked for my Papers and asked me to give them my Sling because someone complained to them about someone using a Slingshot at the lake. They have to go after that of course, some Slingshots arent legal, at least not to use around public places.
So i gave them my Sling, told them what i was doing and they said (what i knew beforheand anyhow) that my Sling (any kind of real Sling) is legally fine. They still advised me to go to some other place in the future.
Pretty bummed about that. Pefect place and a lot of positive reactions from the people. Except for that one. Iam pretty certain it was one of the many elderly who are feeding ducks or generally loitering around the lake who was filing the complaint.

The Police was very relaxed and didnt make any fuss about it. But its quite obvious i believe that im not out to do mischief

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #26 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 12:26pm

Well... they only advised you to move... Cheesy

If it's truly safe and legal, other people should butt out frankly.

I've been slinging down at the beach lately and getting a decent number of interested passerbys although I do try to isolate myself for safety (and the chance to sling without people starting conversations with you  Grin )

IP Logged

BalearicMateo
Novicius

Hey lets get slingin

Orange County,California
Reply #27 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 4:10am

Kick wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 2:33am:
I have a few stories that are all the same really so I can tell them as one story but whenever I just nail a shot, especially from a fair distance, seeing the rock arc in perfectly is such a great feeling. It's almost like slow motion just as you realise it's on target and then it hits. Hoping I'm going to get that feeling again soon Cheesy

I was slinging down by the wash down the road from my house and i throw at a fat limb with knots and gnarls on it for practice, and it was from my split pouch paracord sling and i could feel it just hit the target and just thud. That is satisfaction my man!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #28 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 6:53am

Drakolith wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 1:46am:
Here's another one from me (I forgot about this thread). (This happened in April) So I had a 4 friends over to hang out in commemoration of my birthday, and, I introduced one of them to slinging, the rest had a bit of experience (I had taught two, and the other learned some things about slings in the scouts) So, the person who just learned  offered the opportunity to try and sling a stone into his hat he held at his stomach. I was against it, but at the same time I must admit that at some level I wanted to see what would happen. One of my friends took him up on that and slung a small stone (not full power) at him. Then... THWAK (the sound made us all cringe and go ooooowwwhhh. The stone struck him on the left side of his forehead, making him cradle his head for a good few minutes (he might have fallen to his knees too, I'm not quite sure). And it gave him a nice big lump. He said it still hurt the day after. I'm just glad we didn't have to go to the ER. This may seem kinda morbid, but I wish I recorded it.

Okay - just to make this perfectly clear.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER SHOULD YOU SLING STONES AT ANOTHER PERSON.
NOT NEVER, EVER, NEVER !

Drakolith you know better. You're lucky the kid wasn't killed.  It really doesn't take much impact on the temple to kill someone.
It's not something to do on a dare, or for fun or to see if it really hurts. It is potentially LETHAL.
Please Do Not Do This Again.

If you want to sling at each other use sockballs.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #29 - Jun 13th, 2017 at 9:39am

I usually go out to a local park to sling at the river across from Philadelphia.  When Pokémon Go came out, I played it for a bit. But the park I went to was a HUGE Hotspot for the game. I would use  the game to drum up interest before I got banned for using a 'rooted' phone. I would set tge lures at tge stops. And people would sit on the benches  playing the gane, and watching me sling. It bought ALOT of interest.  I usually carry and few extra seat help slings to either lend to people who want to learn, or give away with business cards.  It was a great way to use the game for 'free marketing '  Grin some people would know what it was I was doing. But  alot would think I was fishing or crabbing for some dumb reason.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)