Send Topic Print
Slinging at the beach (Read 2484 times)
JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Slinging at the beach
Feb 24th, 2017 at 11:14am

Since I'm back around home for a week or so, I thought I'd bring my dad slinging and make use of the beaches round where I am. Here's a few of my throws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QKufh2K9oQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MedjWbsNUKo&t=2s

IP Logged

WojtekimbieR
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Poland
Re: Slinging at the beach
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 1:40pm

You've got plenty of nice rocks there, I seem to have picked my beach clean. I'm always happy to subscribe to a new slinging channel

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 4:10pm

See I would've guessed you liked the figure-8 based on you saying you didn't want to get a natural fiber sling dirty. Those side arm slingers don't understand our struggles Judo.  Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2017 at 9:30pm by Morphy »  

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 6:11pm

Yes beaches are lovely for slinging- it's a shame I'm miles from the sea back in Sheffield. Thanks for the sub, hopefully it's the first of many slinging videos where I see my technique improve throughout!

Yeah getting a soggy/muddy retention cord is a pain... that's not even the worst of it though-where I sling usually has lots of angular, muddy wet rocks which I loathe to use on natural string pouches, or even my leather. It's why my standard is a seatbelt sling now. Cheap and tough, not to mention top notch performance.

IP Logged

SlingerDave

Stop!!! Let me hide behind
this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 7:32pm

Nice slinging. Cool Paracord has such a distinct whistle; it is recognizable anywhere. Convert to the side arm camp; your slings will be most grateful. Grin

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 2:27pm

well apart from a lot of foot movement, not bad Smiley
And yeah pebble beaches are amazing.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 4:01pm

Yeah I only actually noticed that extra foot movement from watching this video in the first place. I think it comes from over-emphasis on upper body swinging rather than making it a full body movement. Hopefully you will see improvement from the next video installment!

Shows it's always a good strategy to watch yourself recorded though. I'm always looking to refine technique and boost my power throws! My eventual target is to send a rock 200m or thereabouts.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 4:40pm

when you surpass the 200m let us know Wink.
when i did that, if i really did that, i couldn't see where the rock landed

there is not a lot of foot movement.
it's a stride and a follow through.
a comment on the follow through:
don't pivot around the front leg but instead go over it and lift the back leg like a pitcher

Note: i believe that slinging and pitching have similar mechanics whereas other guys will disagree on this

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 5:10pm

I used to be really into that whole theory  Parmenion.  Not sure where I stand on it now but I do believe you could pretty easily tweak the baseball pitch into a devastating slinging throw if one had skill as a pitcher already.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 7:41am

larry bray's style is based on pitching.
So yep distance slinging and pitching definitely related.

It's more than just a couple of steps, and yes proper technique is a full body movement. Trying to garner as much energy as possible and transfer it to the sling.

And like baseball you actually step forward with your leading foot.

I think you'll find that if you were using oblate stones that some of those throws were definitely going past the 200 metre mark.

The vertical rotation to sidearm was very interesting. Usually you'd do that with angled rotations to make it easier to take the velocity into the final throw. But you were doing a pretty decent job in the transfer.
Speed is what counts and they were very fast transtions.

Just need to get your waist more into the throws.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 10:11am

I'm not sure how far these stones were going, they were nice pebbles and went pretty far compared to my usual. I measured distance last week and threw around 130m with some not so good stones (mostly shale and limestone), I've most likely hit 150 or more with some better throws and better ammo, but I'm terrible at estimating.

Yeah my sidearm is a little odd, I can transfer the energy no problem and get solid power- but the vertical rotation causes quite a high trajectory which is perfect for distance but not good for hitting something nearby.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 12:10pm

getting accuracy AND power at the same time is bloody difficult.
Wouldn't worry too much about that - it takes years Smiley

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 3:45pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 22nd, 2017 at 12:10pm:
it takes years

that's the nice thing about slinging  Cool

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 4:18pm

Excellent video.  The first thing that caught my eye was the extra flare that you add with your lead leg. Like the other guys it reminds me of a baseball pitcher.  I don't see where it would cause problems though.... just a little extra style. It is a very worthwhile video.  Good job.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #14 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 1:09pm

The next installments-

I went to a lovely slinging beach with my friend to give him an intro to the art/sport(?) He seemed to really get into it.

Thought I best get a bit more footage of my own slinging technique while I was there too.

Here is me slinging with my current favourite sling- it's the paracord and leather one I recently posted on the leather pouches thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2y4BQNg9O4

I also built a long sling with skinny cords to practice my range shots, it's about 45'', I think (I didn't measure it). Here's a few shots with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QcMyfAunTY

I'm not sure what range I'm getting with it but it's not much more than the other sling (I think). The great thing about such a long sling is that you can launch heavier rocks at long range with little effort. My ideal weight on a 35'' sling is probably 50-70g, but for a 45''er it's probably more like 100-150g and you can probably throw 200-300 or so with some degree of comfort.

Let me know what you guys think. You can also compare the technique to the videos I took in Jan/February. I think it's improved a bit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)