Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Synthetic cords and stretch (Read 2134 times)
JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Synthetic cords and stretch
Feb 22nd, 2017 at 5:50pm

I'm currently on the search for synthetic materials for use in braiding. I've made a few braided slings from nylon masons line which is nice, but appears to have a fair element of stretch to it. Ideally I want a similar sort of material in terms of being weatherproof and abrasion resistant, but to be totally rigid with zero stretch.

My problem is that the amount of stretch doesn't even seem to be consistent within the same materials- so I don't know what to order!

I've looked into polyester and polypropylene.

Polypropylene I got some cheap stuff which seemed to tick all the boxes rigidity wise except it felt cheap as chips- like a plastic bag. Not my thing.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171907561398

I've also bought 1m samples of polyester and polyprop braided 2mm cord. Even though they are meant to be very low stretch I can noticeably stretch them both with my hands. I assume this is the braiding construction? Realistically I don't see these being better than the nylon except cheaper and better colour choice.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172382783413?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=47121000...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162167006296?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=46114012...

Polyester I also got some 'waxed' thread 1mm which I'm still in the process of braiding up (but it seems to be very rigid indeed). Anyone have experience with this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131879650215?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=43122580...

What exact types of synthetic cord or thread are the best for braiding high performance, weatherproof slings? I'm looking for paracord like rigidity but it seems like potluck whether you get it or not!

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: Synthetic cords and stretch
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 6:36pm

From my experience braided cords (with or without a core) are stretchier than twisted cord or twisted rope. The exception is whipping twine, which can be quite expensive. It's usually waxed and out of polyester
In general, look for a dense twist and a dense, non-fluffy texture. However, you will not get around sampling.

I've made good experiences with standard twisted polyester (recycling or fresh) packing cord or packing twine. In my country they sell these in the household department of most general stores right beside the paper, pens, glue and scotch tape. Buy once the whole sortiment and you should have at least one with low stretch   Smiley And they also come in different colors! Wink

A dense braid made with high tension will also reduce the stretch of the final piece but will require some training and usually creates blisters on your fingers.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 8:55pm

I prefer 3mm braided nylon curtain cord for my braided slings.  I have several that are years old and still going strong.

And as near as I can tell, it doesn't stretch enough to matter.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 9:21am

Not sure what you mean by rigidity. I've always liked paracord because it is supple and has no memory. In terms of zero stretch I'm not sure there is such a thing but based on the forces that are involved in slinging there should be very minimal stretch unless your braid is very loose or its cotton/wool.

With many natural fibers you can induce a set into the fibers by stretching them near breaking point. It will take away almost all stretch. Then you could potentially braid them. You can't "set" nylon to my knowledge. I say this because in my experience if the sling is made correctly abrasion can be minimized to almost nothing and weather shouldn't really affect it's durability so natural fibers could be an option. Still, I prefer good old fashioned paracord. Works for me.

IP Logged

WojtekimbieR
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Poland
Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 1:27pm

I use single-braid three-strand 2mm polyethylene mason's line and double-braid 16-strand 3mm polypropylene line.
I can't significantly stretch either in my hands, but I can stretch a hollow-braid polyester 4mm shoelace no problem. It's more about how tight it's braided (twisted) not what it's made of, but polyamide will stretch more than anything else (synthethic).
If you were a millionaire you could get aramid or hmpe for really zero stretch

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 5:06am

Bonded, braided mason line is far superior to the twisted nylon stuff.

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 8:19am

Hmm, I guess I'm just going to have to experiment a little more then!

@Morphy- by rigidity I just mean not stretchy. I don't think it's anything to do with my braiding as my braided slings from other materials are acceptably stiff. I may give natural materials another look though - I'm just paranoid about getting mud ingrained in my lovely natural fibres!

@Mark-

I've primarily been using this nylon masons line which has definitely got noticable stretch inherent to the material- As far is I know this is also bonded and braided so there might even be variability within that!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshalltown-M635-Masons-Line-152m-500ft-Flecked-White...

I want something like the above (in ease of braiding, lack of memory, general feel) but without the stretch and preferably with a selection of nice colours. I've ordered polyester and polypropylene 2mm cord samples but both seem to have a similar level of stretch.

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 3:59am

"Bonded braided" mason line has very little stretch and is much more durable than the standard stuff. Its also very difficult to fray the ends.

It also comes in cool colors.

Jareth-Atian has made some very nice slings with it

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 11:25pm

I've used a lot of paracord for my cords on some slings, and I don't notice and stretch.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 5:21am

I don't think a little stretch is necessarily a bad thing. It can make a sling feel smoother. Too much and you lose velocity.

I made a sling once with that thin, coated cloths line cable. Zero stretch but it just felt funny.

Paracord is a great compromise.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 5:58am

I think you must have better bonded/braided cord than me mark because mine is pretty stretchy indeed.

I don't mind a little stretch, my new jute sling stretches about 0.5-1 inch over a 30 inch arm (roughly) when pulled by hand, which is fine for me. The mason line slings I've made are more like 1.5-2 inches for the same stretch.

Paracord is perfect for me for 'single line' slings that I attach pouches too, I don't notice any stretch at all from it.
How is it gutted and braided Mark? I know you make a few of those types. I've never gotten round to making one myself.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #11 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 10:27am

For those that are interested I did a semi scientific test of the cords I've got lying around at the moment.

For each one I pulled the cord with (hopefully) a consistent force and measured the % stretch produced.

Then I calculated the Young's Modulus(/ consistent force applied). Essentially the lower the number the more elastic the material is (independent of the thickness of the cord).

The polytwine comes out very strongly and is really cheap too, but it doesn't braid too easily and has a nasty plastic bag feel (which gets slightly better when braided). Naturals also appear pretty highly hence my search for equivalent synthetics in this thread.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick)