Send Topic Print
Throwing the Tomahawk (Read 3382 times)
SlingerDave

Stop!!! Let me hide behind
this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Throwing the Tomahawk
Feb 18th, 2017 at 4:24pm

We can't let Timpa have all the fun throwing sharp weapons can we.  Grin Grin Grin This a new series of youtube videos I'll be doing all about the skills and tools available to the First Nations tribes in the Ohio river valley. One video I'd like to do soon is finger-weaving; think a 90 strand flat braided sash with beads woven into it!!! Shocked Oh and don't worry, the medieval crossbow will soon be posted in all its glory. Wink

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Re: Throwing the Tomahawk
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 5:21pm

CheesyWOW! Everything relating to the Indians, is close to my heart.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 3:53am

Awesome! Really good video can't wait for more Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

SlingerDave

this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 9:05am

Thanks guys.

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 5:47am

Rule #1, never throw your tomahawk away.

Close with and kill the enemy!

Wink

It is an excellent offensive weapon against a sword, bayonet, spear etc

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

SlingerDave

this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 9:32am

It would most certainly be the last thing on my mind to throw away a perfectly good weapon. But a fight is based on circumstances and sometimes rules must be broken. A good example is Robert Roger's disclaimer at the end of his famous 28 rules of ranging.

"Such in general are the rules to be observed in the Ranging service; there are, however, a thousand occurrences and circumstances which may happen, that will make it necessary, in some measure, to depart from them, and to put other arts and stratagems in practice; and which cases every man's reason and judgment must be his guide..."

The Native Americans were pretty good at throwing a tomahawk if they had to.  “Which they throw with great certainty for a considerable distance and seldom miss.”
Memoirs of John Johnson concerning tomahawk throwing.

"Their weapons were a rifle or musket, a quiver with some twenty arrows, and a short battle-axe, which they know how to throw very skillfully"  Hessian captain Johann Von Ewald's description of the Stockbridge Mohicans.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 7:33pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v-smpzGwzJs ist zwar kein tomahawk , aber vergleichbar.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 7:58pm

I've also been a fan of the American Indians since I was young. I had a book when I was probably 10-11 showing a Yuma Indian holding a couple rabbits in one hand and his throwing stick in the other. These guys were the real deal. I would've loved to learn primitive weaponry from one of them.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 8:11pm

Morphy, so would a lot of people.  A lot of those skills were lost when the NA's got moved onto reservations. 

Some of the skills, like using the throwing stick to hunt rabbits is still practiced by the Choctaws in Mississippi.  They are rather large family outings.  However, you have to be a close friend or related to be asked to go on one.

And it's usually the younger ones, up to mid teens, lots of running, yelling and laughing.  After mid teens, they discover the opposite sex and it doesn't seem to happen again until late 30's or so.  Still lots of running,yelling and laughing but lots of gasping and wheezing, too.

IP Logged

Huaraca
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 1:32pm

allow me to say that throwing a hatchet, while I'm not that good, is a lot of fun!

Certainly more fun than throwing darts, although I can drink in a pub playing darts, while imbibing while throwing an axe or hatchet would be a recipe for disaster and disfiguring injuries... Roll Eyes

Of course the ancient Franks also had snazzy throwing axes too...

IP Logged

SlingerDave

this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 1:56pm

It would be a most interesting world if people carried belt axes and tomahawks around everywhere... I would like to think I would fit in.  Wink  The fransica is neat little throwing axe for sure. Cool

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 3:07pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Mar 4th, 2017 at 8:11pm:
Morphy, so would a lot of people.  A lot of those skills were lost when the NA's got moved onto reservations. 

Some of the skills, like using the throwing stick to hunt rabbits is still practiced by the Choctaws in Mississippi.  They are rather large family outings.  However, you have to be a close friend or related to be asked to go on one.

And it's usually the younger ones, up to mid teens, lots of running, yelling and laughing.  After mid teens, they discover the opposite sex and it doesn't seem to happen again until late 30's or so.  Still lots of running,yelling and laughing but lots of gasping and wheezing, too.

I wasnt aware the Choctaws still practiced with the throwing stick. If I remember correctly the Cherokees still do traditional archery competitions. Now if only there were a group that still practiced slinging to the degree that they used to.  I wonder how good these ancient slingers were? There are alot of accounts of slinging that seem to far exceed anything we are seeing today.  I would love to be able to witness that kind of accuracy in person.

IP Logged

SlingerDave

this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #12 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 4:52pm

The cornstalk shoots are still very popular with the the Oklahoma Cherokee. Speaking of rabbit hunting and tomahawks... have any of you seen this video before?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #13 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 12:23am

Mr Morningstar has a post somewhere about his adventures with a tomahawk.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)