Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Survival Round-Robin (Read 3946 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Survival Round-Robin
Feb 12th, 2017 at 9:25am

For those not famaliar with the term, a round-robin is where each person posts something in turn. I've been thinking since most of us here enjoy crafts, survivalism or bushcraft it would be interesting to have a thread with posts of different gear. So the idea here is to post one item at a time, which can be something you bought or made and give a little description about it. How useful it is, was it worth the cost etc.  Additional posts of other items are welcome but with each post being just one item we can really get a good idea of what's being posted.

I'll start with this:

In addition to being a spoon and fork it has wrench sizes, flat head screwdriver,  us and metric rulers, bit holder, nail puller, bottle opener and carabiner.

When I initially saw it on amazon I thought it might be cheap but I gave it a shot and it's actually really thick, tough metal. Well worth owning imo.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Survival Round-Robin
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 11:00am

So my choice for this might be a bit bizarre but hey this should get conversation going Cheesy I got a Ghillie suit last year because... To be perfectly honest I don't have much use for a Ghillie suit but it was being offered cheap on Facebook and I couldn't help myself. It's really pretty effective in the Finnish forest so I could use it to go bird or animal watching or something (not a hunter myself so only photos would be taken) or Extreme Hide and Seek...

(Unfortunately I only have small pictures of the suit in use. On the left I'm trying to hide on the right I'm sitting up a bit so should be visible. Might have to squint though I'm afraid.)

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 12:29am

Mine might be an odd choice. My BOB (bug out bag) is mostly designed to survive and thrive after a short term natural disaster, along with one other person, for 3 days.
It also gives me the ability to improvise and extend things, to fish and trap and filter water while staying on the move. I think, though, that it's more likely that I'll have to use my supplies immediately after a fire or a hurricane until emergency management agencies can start providing aid to my area. In the event that I will be surviving in an "urban" setting like New Orleans after hurricane Katrina, I decided to include a stove in my kit along with fire making materials. After much deliberation, I settled on a knock off of the folding esbit stove and hexamine tablets. It's great for both ultralight camping and survival use.
It wasn't my first choice. Originally, I bought the Coleman Perfect Flow Single Burner Propane Stove. Propane tanks are everywhere. Similar, butane stoves are some of the most popular backpacking stoves. The choice seemed like a no brainer!
They offer consistent performance in various weather conditions and allow for real cooking by controlling the flow of the gas. I figured this stove and a lightweight mess kit would let me do more than boil water and that seemed like a good thing, if I had to start setting snares and foraging. The propane stove can even be used with the largest propane tanks that are made for BBQ grills (with an adapter). How cool is that?! There's a fascination among survivalist with using the supplies left behind after a disaster, and there's something alluring about hooking a burner up to a propane grill to cook real food in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Unfortunately, the small, green propane tanks are made of steel and that makes them HEAVY. They're almost bulletproof compared to backpacking butane tanks, but lugging that around along with all of the other essentials means I have to make uncomfortable sacrifices. The burner itself is over a pound and the whole system is over two pounds with the fuel tank. I decided, after a while, that water was more essential to life than propane. For true survival, it is not worth the purchase. I still use it for camping and backpacking. In fact, I love it and I don't regret the purchase at all... but only when I'm not worried about finding a water source.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 4:32pm

For me, the most useful thing is a good pair of boots and good socks.  Not exactly glamorous but if I am away from home, and I have to walk, they will be priceless.

If I am home, they will still be needed as I work on the farm.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 4:53pm

Bill, a farm has got to be the ultimate survival stratagy Smiley
I like my little saw
It's 9" long closed  16" open  weighs 6 oz

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 7:50pm

Newest member of the family. 11" Golok. Made in the classic style. It hasn't been "westernized". Great blade.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 3:55am

Wow that looks pretty.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 2:11pm

Thought I would post my own sharp cutty thing Cheesy I got this axe off eBay actually and I have to say it's one of my favourite purchases ever. It's a William Rodgers axe (I don't know who William Rodgers is but I really want to thank him) and this axe was a god send. Before I had this I had to do all my cutting and wood carving with a full on felling axe. It was pretty ridiculous (not to mention dangerous) trying to control a massive, rather blunt axe in the carving of little wooden logs. It's amazing I didn't lose a finger or more, especially considering I managed to cut myself with this small axe shortly after using it for the first time Cheesy

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 2:16pm

Eww that is sexy.  Cheesy It just screams bow making.
How is the balance on it? Is it easy to weild? It looks like it's head is quite large in relation to the handle but it's impossible to say unless you pick one up. The golok I posted is very deceptive balance-wise until you pick it up.  I assume it works well based on the review.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 3:21pm

It's beautiful to use. I don't have a lot of experience with other axes (except the felling axe Cheesy ) but it's a joy to use. I forgot to say as well that I got it real cheap. I can't remember exactly how much it was but I would still have been happy if it cost a third more. I've been itching for Winter to be over so I get the chance to go to the Summer cottage and get some stuff made. I have a lot of different projects I want to get started on.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 5:10am

I also like that little ax. Very handy size. My item would be a mosquito net. If you've ever slept outside in New Jersey in the summer you'll know why.  During the day the net could be used to capture edible aquatic creatures.  In the survival mode everything is fair game.  Frogs, snakes, minnows, grass shrimp, etc..

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 7:10am

I'll add a magnesium fire striker.
They last for years and once you've got fire you can do a helluva lot.

Love that little axe too. Though doesn't look like they make them any more.

And mas: welcome to the beardy weirdies Smiley 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 4:34pm

Mosquito Nets and Fire starters. Both good. Come to think of it I have several magnesium fire starters and no mosquito nets. Probably should fix that. Notice how no one has posted a sling on the survival thread?  Using a sling as your survival hunting weapon, also known as starvation, seems not to be a super popular survival strategy so far.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 2:19am

Ha! I've found that's a good way of judging if someone is worth listening to when it comes to a surgical situation. If they think a sling is a good weapon to improvise and use for hunting you can usually stop listening Cheesy

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 10:47am

Huh, I too have several fire starter kits. No skeeter nets.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)