Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Survival Round-Robin (Read 3976 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Survival Round-Robin
Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2017 at 1:50pm

One of my (many many) projects this Summer is to make a fire drill. Luckily even if I don't get that finished I still have the trusty flint and steel. I got the steel from Warwick Castle about... 15 years ago? Maybe less maybe more.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 1:54pm

IMO the reason why the sling hasn't come up on this thread as a survival item is that at least here at slinging.org it's a given.  Most of us can easily fashion a sling from whatever is around us.  Of course in a situation I'd have/make a sling. Besides a spear it would be the first weapon I'd make.  That goes without saying.  Is it the most effective, accurate primitive weapon you can have? No, but it is useful, extremely  quick and easy to make, and usually the ammo is at your feet.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 3:04pm

I would make one but I would do so knowing full well the likelihood of eating much food with it was relatively small. (Keeping in mind I've never lived in an area where there were perfect/accurate slingstones just lying about. Which has probably shaped my bias against it a bit.)  For me it would be bow first, then spear, then throwing stick and finally sling.  And I love the sling. It's a great weapon, my favorite even.. I'm a decent shot as well. Not trying to be arrogant, but I've definitely done some practicing with it. That being said, man is it a difficult weapon lol.  And when I see Naked and Afraid and how quickly people's bodies and skill sets begin to break down with hunger, fatigue and sickness it makes me wary for sure.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 4:29pm

I would make my weapons in order of how easy they are to produce.  First would be the spear, just to have something effective in my hands immediately... something to keep a little distance between me and any attacker.   Next would be the sling, atlatl, then bow and arrow.  Maybe a blow gun too. Granted, the sling is limited  due to it's inaccuracy, but it would be a projectile weapon with excellent power and range that you could have in your hands almost immediately. Around my way smooth, round river stones are everywhere. That may be why, as you mentioned, we put different emphases on the slings importance.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 6:31pm

I think a digging/throwing stick would be the first thing I would make. 

As far as fire starters, I usually carry a couple of Bic lighters.   Grin  Even after they run out of gas, you can usually still get a spark for a while.

Something on here that I haven't seen is snares or traps.  Make cordage, then snares.  They will hunt for you while you do other things.  And learning to make a Figure 4 trigger is easy, all you need after that is something heavy and something for bait.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #20 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 7:44pm

Ditto on the traps. I would go with traps before any hunting weapon.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 8:58pm

Snares and nets Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 10:57am

sas survival handbook
Even comes in waterproof.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #23 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 4:54am

Ditto on snares, nets, dead fall traps,  fish traps, etc.. Let them hunt while you sleep.  Set dozens around your site. The more the better.  Also I agree with Bill. The Bic lighter is an excellent survival item.  Used very sparingly one could last you months or even years and as Bill mentioned, even after the gas is gone it will still give you a spark. If you get it soaked just let it dry and it will work fine once again. I wouldn't mind having an sas survival handbook either.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #24 - Apr 9th, 2017 at 10:51pm

I don't have this. But, if I was looking for a survival tool, I would get this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L26b_VDRxDw Oh, and when you guys say spears, do you mean sharpened sticks, or sticks with Stone heads? I've tried throwing spears I made before (both wooden tip and stone tip)and they weren't very good at all. So any tips on that?

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #25 - Apr 10th, 2017 at 6:48am

I've found (with my very limited experiments with sharpened wooden spears) that the main problem is not enough weight at the tip end which stops them flying straight. They almost start to tumble.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #26 - Apr 10th, 2017 at 7:35am

love that little credit card thing.

Having just used my lansky world legal carry knife to skin and butcher a small deer.
I'll add that. https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-LKN333-Mikkel-Willumsen-Folding/dp/B00IJ93WW2/ref=...
cheap, heavy duty, legal edc knife that's seriously versatile.  Sharp as a scapel - is how uwe described it. I was holding soft tomatos and cutting thin slices onto my lunch with it in mallorca. Not on a cutting surface, just holding them over my plate and cutting slices like that Smiley 

With the deer I started out just thinking I'd use it for the skinning, the shape of the tip is really good for that.
But just kept on using it.

Add a stick to hit it and you've got a decent axe facility.

So went from pic1 to pic 2 using nothing but the knife in pic 3 Smiley  (and a vacumn packer)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #27 - Apr 10th, 2017 at 9:49am

Nice little blade. Good price too.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #28 - Apr 10th, 2017 at 4:40pm

My BOB has a Victorinox Recruit and a Bahco branded stainless Mora Clipper. I can't think of any blades I'd rather rely on and they happen to be extremely inexpensive, too.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #29 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:47am

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009NZVZ3E/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1491832486&...

My favorite cheap knife. I liked the high carbon so much I bought a stainless steel one for my fishing tackle box. And a pink one for the wife.  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)