Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Hobbies/Talents/Motivations (Read 2330 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Hobbies/Talents/Motivations
Reply #15 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 2:25pm

There is a lot of cross pollination in most commercial corns on the market.  One of the reasons I got asked is because there isn't any commercial corn grown closer than 30 miles from me.

I actually kept seeds from two different types, one is a corn with white and purple kernals that dates to the 1830's and the other is a jewel corn that dates back to the 17th century. 

What is interesting, with the white/purple, when I first started growing it, I got ears with a sprinkling of purple kernals among the white.  As I kept replanting the seeds from the preceding years, the purple started to take over.  After about 7 generations, the ears are now purple with a sprinkling of white.  And the ears are getting much smaller, the purple ears are now about 1/2 the size of the white with purple.

I also grow Indian Potatoes, Apios Americanus, also called ground nuts.  Or Ah-ha or Ah-hee, depending on whether or not you speak Eastern or Western Muskcogee.  And I keep a small stand of amaranth, mostly for the seeds. 

I am supposed to send some seeds from the ground nuts out to the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma, they want to see if they can get them to grow there.  We have our doubts but they are going to try anyway.  Oklahoma is much further north with much colder winters, and is much drier, too.  And the nodules take two years to mature, so neither of us is very hopeful.  However, we won't know unless we try.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)