Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Hobbies/Talents/Motivations (Read 2324 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Hobbies/Talents/Motivations
Feb 5th, 2017 at 12:16pm

OK, why no paleo diet? 

I don't diet, I just try to watch what I eat and stay active.

And this is thread drift like a big dog.  Maybe we should start a new thread?

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 2:37pm

Crohn's Disease affects the whole body, but it's mostly a problem with the way the immune system works in the digestive tract. Most Crohn's patients have what we call "trigger foods" that we know to avoid because they always make us sick, but those foods are different for each person. I always knew that cucumber, zucchini, and chocolate were my triggers and I avoid them like the plague. Well, a cousin of mine with Crohn's recently had his diagnosis changed to Celiac Disease after a couple decades and he claimed to be completely healed by giving up gluten. After I stopped responding to another Crohn's treatment, I was desperate for relief. I'm still taking medicine for my Crohn's, but I started reading about dieting to control autoimmune diseases and talking with my doctors about adding that to my treatment plan. I cut out any and all foods that are supposed to be "bad for you" (they really aren't, not for most people), stayed on the diet that way for a month, and added foods back one at a time to see how I felt. As soon as I started the diet, though, I felt like a new man. Wheat, barley, and rye are definitely a no-go in any amount. The rest, I don't feel bad when I eat a very small amount every once in a while.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:12am

Thanks.  I thought the Paleo diet was meat and fish with nuts, roots and leafy veggies.  Very little grains, so very little glutens.  And damn near no sugar at all.

So, does that mean you are eating lye water soaked corn that you removed the hulls to make into hominy and then dry to make your meal or flour so you can bake stuff?  Or are you looking into amaranth or nut flours?  Or other alternatives such as cattail pollen?

See, those primitive skills can come in handy in modern times, after all.

Grin

And venison is a lot better for you than pen raised beef, pig, veal or poultry which are stuffed full of antibiotics and growth hormones.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:52am

I have a shelf in my kitchen of nothing but different flours! Most of my paleo bread is half and half almond flour and tapioca flour with coconut milk to make a batter. I'm less strict about sugar, caffeine, and alcohol than a lot of paleo dieters, but I don't get a lot of that, either. I was trying to get my hands on enough acorns to make some acorn flour, but I didn't have the time to go foraging when the acorns were fresh. Besides that, I have: masa corn flour, brown rice flour, garbanzo bean flour, quinoa flour, green pea flour, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting. My family gave me about 4 lb of ground venison, but I'm hoping to see a deer before the end of the season. It is hands down my favorite meat.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 7:25pm

Deer are still in season for you Mas?

Dang that almost makes me wish I still lived down south.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:48pm

Georgia has a couple counties with extended archery season through all of January, but most counties end their archery season much earlier and their firearms seasons all ended on on the 8th. Alabama, though, doesn't end their statewide firearms season until this Friday, 2/10. I'm on public lands, though, and have to travel. It keeps me from being in the woods during peak hunting times and when I am out, I'm in areas with a lot of hunting pressure.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 10:27am

Are you eating the masa corn flour and brown rice as part of the paleo? If so do you find it affects you badly? I'm doing the month long introductory GAPS then back on the paleo and am trying to figure out if there is anything I can cheat on lol... (Probably not the best way to go about it) I've never felt better than when I was eating strict paleo but it's a tough one to stick to long term.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 12:08am

Morphy wrote on Feb 7th, 2017 at 10:27am:
Are you eating the masa corn flour and brown rice as part of the paleo? If so do you find it affects you badly? I'm doing the month long introductory GAPS then back on the paleo and am trying to figure out if there is anything I can cheat on lol... (Probably not the best way to go about it) I've never felt better than when I was eating strict paleo but it's a tough one to stick to long term.

Yes, I'm eating the rice and corn flours as a regular part of my diet. They don't seem to bother me when I splurge occasionally, but I don't feel quite as good now as I did when I was strictly paleo. If the grains are the culprits, c'est la vie. It might just be in my head, though, or stress, or the weather. It's too hard to tell. Early on, I found a paleo naan recipe that's my go to flatbread and I'm trying to make quinoa tortillas, though. Not because they're paleo, but because I like the taste & texture. You're right about paleo being hard to stick to, I'm also a chronic cheater. Grin The cooking instructions for both are the same.

Paleo Naan
1/2 cup superfine ground almond flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch (aka tapioca flour)
1 cup canned full fat coconut milk

Quinoa Tortillas
1 cup quinoa flour
1 cup water

Mix all ingredients. Pour into greased, pre heated nonstick skillet to desired size. Cook until set in a nonstick skillet on medium, flip, and cook other side until golden brown. (They take a while to cook). Add water to make a thinner batter for crepes, use water (or coconut milk) less for thicker bread like pita.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 11:25am

Seriously, have you tried making corn meal the way the southeastern Native Americans did?

Get some white hardwood ashes, (avoid pine like the plague) and dump about three cups into a gallon of water.  Then strain the ashes out through coarse cloth.  Your water should be milky.

Dump several cups of corn in the water and let sit until the hulls start slipping off.  The Creeks and Choctaws would then dump it into a sifting basket, which was nothing more than a white oak basket with the bottom woven loose enough to keep the kernels in but let the hulls slip through.  This step also has the effect of removing a lot of the sugars in the corn and making it more digest able.  I would imagine you could use a coarse sieve or something similar.

They would then either grind it then for flour or dry it and then grind it later.  Or they would just eat the hominy after soaking it until it fully expanded.

One of the things that Dr John Hall noticed that while there was evidence of tooth decay among the NA after the introduction of corn, there wasn't the rampant tooth decay that European settlers suffered when they ground up the whole kernel for their corn meal.  His theory was all the soaking removed a great deal of the sugars.  I learned this through conversations with him, unfortunately, he passed on before he could finish publishing a paper on this.

So, wanna test a theory?  Keep notes, lots and lots.  Grin

Remember, science.    Cool

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 12:38pm

I need to try those recipes. But no, I don't think it's in your head. Gut Illness/thyroid issues etc is rampant in our society. I believe so much of it comes from what we are putting in and on our body.  I've done basically a full circle from absolute trust in allopathic medicine early on (must be those fancy white coats the doctors wear) to distrusting much of it.

Anyways, enough of that. The future looks brighter. And I'm definitely making almond/tapioca pancakes in T-minus 27 days.  Cool

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 1:00pm

One type f flour I'm interested in trying some day is flour from ground up mealworms Cheesy Going back to hobbies and interests I hope to add insect keeper at some point in the future (rented student flat with not much space for the moment).

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 6:14pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Feb 8th, 2017 at 11:25am:
Seriously, have you tried making corn meal the way the southeastern Native Americans did?

I might in the future, but I'd have to make a ton of it to be worthwhile. I can't find small bags of field corn to soak and grind, but my small bags of masa harina and my Quaker grits are nixtamalized before they get to me. (And I can buy canned hominy, as well.) If I could find whole kernel corn in smaller bags, I'd definitely do it. Would whole kernel popcorn work?

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 9:11pm

Not a clue about the popcorn.  Maybe a bag of deer corn?  Really have to clean it, though, and pick out the cockleburrs and other seeds, too.  And wash it.  Probably not worth it.

Screw it, just get a large can of hominy and soak it in about a gallon of lye water overnight to get all the salt and sugars out of it.  Rinse it off.  Then put it on a flat pan and stick it in the oven at about 150 degrees overnight.  When it's dry, just run it through a cheap coffee grinder until it's the texture you want.

John Hall thought the lye water may also make it more digest able.  No real way to test that, though.

Remember SCIENCE.  Take lots of notes.  Don't die.

That last part is fairly important.   Grin

Tried amaranth?  Otherwise known as Pig Weed?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:33pm

It's pretty cool you grew genetically pure corn Bill. I've heard from a few people (read: I have no idea if this is true) that virtually all the corn on the market, organic or not is actually GMO to some extant now because of cross pollinization. If that's the case its a shame. Did you keep some of the seed for yourself?

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 12:11am

I just ran out of amaranth flour, actually. I think I'm going to try soaking popcorn in lye water from hardwood ashes.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris)