Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Inca Warrior Sling - Ultimate Wall Hanger (Read 2924 times)
Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Inca Warrior Sling - Ultimate Wall Hanger
Jan 29th, 2017 at 10:47am

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Inca Warrior Sling - Ultimate Wall Hanger
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 1:03pm

Wow... Best get saving Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 2:49pm

Pretty cool

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 7:11am

given that it was made in 1400ad from a mixture of human hair and llama wool - it's remarkably well preserved.

Also curious where it's been the last 600 years. Grave goods maybe ?

I'm leaning towards reproduction, just don't see how something that old could be so well preserved.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

SlingerDave

Stop!!! Let me hide behind
this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 9:11am

There are 2,573 registered members of slinging.org active/inactive. If half of us gave one dollar...... Grin we'd have the first ever communal sling!!!  Cool If each contributor had it a single week, it would be 24 years till it went full circle, not taking shipping time into account of course. Wink  So... who's in!!! Cheesy

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 1:02pm

If everyone sends the money to me I'll be sure to keep it safe...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 2:27pm

GrinDa flechte ich mir selber eine. Das Muster kann ich flechten. Geben sie mir ihre haare?

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 5:31pm

Google translation of Jaegoor's post:

"Then I bend myself one. The pattern I can braid. Give me your hair?"

According to http://ancientincareligion.weebly.com/rituals.html, Inca warriors practiced two types of ritual cannibalism:

'Exocannibalism' and 'Endocannibalism'. 'Exocannibalism was a form that involved eating the flesh of an enemy to prove one's power, to finalize the humiliation of the defeated foe and to take revenge on their companions. 'Endocannibalism' was a lot more respectful. The dead persons bones would be ground into dust and mixed into a manioc to be drunk by the family and other relatives to preserve within the kinship groups the essence of the dead.

From this, I will guess that the hair in the sling was not freely given, but rather a spoil of war.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 7:26am

still not convinced it's not a modern fake.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 9:58pm

Compared to many other examples of South American slings I've seen in museum collections, it doesn't look like it would necessarily be a reproduction. I've seen some examples in better condition than that one. One reason so many slings and fragile artifacts have survived from the Incas and other pre-columbian South American civilizations is that they were included in mummy bundles buried in dry desert regions where nothing decays very much.

For comparison, check out this collection from the American Museum of Natural History: https://anthro.amnh.org/textile. Search for "sling"; most of the results are from pre-columbian South America.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy)