Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strange side effects (Read 2054 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Strange side effects
Jan 27th, 2017 at 1:48pm

The human mind is a strange thing and I don't know about you guys but I used to have a weird thing happen when I was slinging a lot every day. So there was a period of time where I slung probably at least 100 stones 6 days out of the week for maybe 2 years or so and after awhile I got to the point where whenever I looked at a distant object my mind would automatically gauge the exact path a stone would follow as it flew through the air towards it. As well as the cross winds and where I would have to aim above and to the side. On a side note I used to have a similar thing happen when I would draw a lot. Every person's face I would look at for a brief moment I would see their face in all shades of gray in my head as if I was drawing it.  Have you guys ever had similar weird side effects from doing one activity too much?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Re: Strange side effects
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 2:21pm

Well I think a common one that a lot of people have is watching the scrolling credits of a film. After a while your brain will keep the TV screen scrolling even after the credits of stopped or you've switched to a different channel.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 8:20pm

I definitely get ya morphy.
It's how we know we are wonderfully obsessed  Cool

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 9:39pm

[quote author=04263B392130490 link=1485542938/0#0 date=1485542938]The human mind is a strange thing and I don't know about you guys but I used to have a weird thing happen when I was slinging a lot every day. So there was a period of time where I slung probably at least 100 stones 6 days out of the week for maybe 2 years or so and after awhile I got to the point where whenever I looked at a distant object my mind would automatically gauge the exact path a stone would follow as it flew through the air towards it. As well as the cross winds and where I would have to aim above and to the side. On a side note I used to have a similar thing happen when I would draw a lot. Every person's face I would look at for a brief moment I would see their face in all shades of gray in my head as if I was drawing it.  Have you guys ever had similar weird side effects from doing one activity too much.

yes, but don't think there is anything weird about it  Huh

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 11:58pm

Not strange at all? The slinging thing maybe, but the drawing thing is odd to me.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 9:01am

what's weird about it ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 9:18am

To me I guess I find it strange and fascinating how the mind works. Even though it seems pretty ordinary based on some of the responses. I guess everyone experiences the sling thing.  The drawing one I do find strange. It's a very weird feeling. But either no one else feels that way or not enough people experience what I'm talking about to find common ground.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 4:26pm

You train your mind to do something and it does it.  Either figuring out trajectory or how to use shading to make a one dimensional object appear to be three dimensional.

Most people have to really concentrate to do what you seem to be doing automatically.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 11:57am

Initially when posting this I was thinking about a documentary that I had seen awhile back. It's called "The boy with the incredible brain." It's an amazing insight into what the human brain is capable of. This man is a savant but unlike most savants he's not disabled and is able to explain what is going on in his brain while he's doing the things he does. Has anyone else here seen this? It's pretty interesting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-TJxI-WUMs

IP Logged

thabaill
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 10:13am

It is completely normal.

I have a friend who owns a Black Bear compound bow and when he go to the supermarket he see the people as targets and he made the noise of the string releasing and the flight and impact of the arrows.

As the bow and arrows is a bit expensive I do the same but with the sling tassel cracking and stones flying and hitting.

IP Logged

okapimike
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 5:49am

I do metal detecting, and when I see jewellery on people I always hear the tone my machine makes in my head. Like Masi's class ring, bing bing bing, lol. 

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 8:37am

Okapimike, that is very similar to what I was talking about with my drawing. That's very cool. Do you ever test it out to see if the tone you hear is correct for the type of metal you see? Or does it not get that precise?

IP Logged

okapimike
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 1:44am

Morphy, it's that precise that I hear the different sounds made by different shapes too. A double whisper for a thin gold chain, etc.
I also can't help mentally judging the weight, but it freaks people out when you guess their weights and want to confirm with the pocket scale.
Older ladies are usually keen to chat about their jewellery if it's good quality though. Nice old chunky buttery looking gold rings on thin bony fingers, phwoaarrr. Kiss

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 9:17am

Lol. That's so odd. I love it!  Grin

IP Logged

Barefoot slinger
Tiro

Slinging is an experience.
Cherish it

Québec
Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 6:15pm

Yes I did experience that too this summer but I never was very good in my estimations I need more practice

Look at how far I can throw this rock!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)