Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lil help? (Read 6913 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Lil help?
Jan 27th, 2017 at 12:04am

So I've been wanting to make a sling like this guys. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bkAdj5wB1MQ (He describes it all in the beginning), but I've never made a braided sling before so I don't get really anything he's saying. Could someone analyze the video a bit to figure it out? I've tried finding a way to contact him, but since I don't have a YouTube account I can't really.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Jareth_Atian

Slinging Rocks!

San Jose, CA
Re: Lil help?
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 2:36am

There's a tutorial for a somewhat-similar sling at http://www.slinging.org/articleimages/20/19.htm

Now, I can't see details of the sling in the video, but Dan says that he used a four strand round braid for the main length and a five-strand flat-braid for the pouch.

So...just making a guess:

Instead of starting with six strands as are described in the tutorial, start with four strands of tarred bank line. (I'd use at least 126"  instead of the 110" that the tutorial uses).

Instead of the three-strand braid that the tutorial uses, I'd use a four-strand flat-braid for the finger loop and a four-strand round braid for the down cord (See tutorials below).

To me, at least, the complicated bit is adding a cord so that each part of the pouch uses a 5 strand flat braid instead of a 4 strand flat braid. The way that I would do that: Cut a length of tarred bankline that is about 2 feet long. When you get to the step in which you 'secure the braid and separate each of the strands evenly into two new strands of (four) strings each', I would lay the 2' cord across the split so that 1 foot of it would follow each side of the braid. Then...I would braid each side of the pouch using 4 long strands and 1 short strand (using '5-strand flat braid #2', see tutorial below).

When it's time to combine the two pouch braids, I'd bury the ends of the 'short' cords inside the core of the four-strand round braid so that there are no ends visible.

Does this make sense? If not, I can try getting a camera to do a tutorial myself. Fair warning, I just bought a new house a few months back and I don't have a workshop yet.

Oh, hey, the tutorial for the four-strand round braid and the five-strand flat braid #2:

Timothy Potter has some WONDERFUL 'how-to' tutorial pages for different braids at: http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/howtos.htm

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 2:44am

Dan himself might be around on the forum to explain but in his absence I can explain what I do which is probably similar. Basically I make a slightly simpler version of this where I take 3 stands of cotton string, fold them in half and braid a 3 strand finger loop which I then combine into a simple 6 stand braid. Around half way through the stands I split the braid into two 3 strand braids top make the pouch then recombine them and continue with a 6 strand braid until the end of the string to make a release cord.
I'll get some pictures of the different sections up in a bit.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 2:56am

Pictures of the various stages in order (if I've uploaded then correctly) and the finished sling.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2017 at 11:52am by Kick »  

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 7:20am

that's Dan the man dan is that Smiley
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=393C335D0

just contact him through the forum Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 8:36am

As far as slings go that's fairly simple. Not much more to add but it won't be difficult once you give it a try. Just follow the tutorials.  Smiley

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 8:42am

Thanks for all your help guys! Jareth, a video tutorial would be very helpful and appreciated if it's not a inconvenience to do.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 8:44am

Oh and for some reason, the links to Timothy's site have never worked for me. Any idea why?

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 9:39pm

Thanks for all the advice.  I am going to attempt some braided slings.

Question:  Has anyone tried braiding this in 3 separate sections?  Braid just a retention loop and string.  Baird just a release string.  Braid just a pouch.  Suggestions on joining the 3 together?

Also, if I am going to braid a one piece sling, is the formula 3x the finished length?  If I want a 30" finished 1 piece sling, do I start w/ 6 strands 90" strands.

Hope I am not hijacking this thread!!!

Thanks!

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 10:35pm

Yes three times the length is good but five yourself a bit extra length
Just in case.
I would YouTube 4 strand round braid and see which tutorials help you. Then I would also view the videos for a five strand braid. If it were me, I would also look at how to braid a Celtic bar. This is a four strand braid as well  but it's flat and will be easier to to change in and out of a four strand round braid.
I hope this makes sense

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 11:11pm

Hmm I looked up tarred bank line but there are a lot of types. Any idea what type dan used?

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 11:11pm

I think I'll shoot him a message

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 3:19pm

For this particular sling I used 4 main cords. I added in an extra for the ring portion and then tapered it out on the retention cord (8 cords, 4 strand braid). then I gradually added in two more cords a couple inches up from the pouch (now 10 cords), and tapered them out on the other side. Basically a Balearic sling as seen in many other tutorials.

Post pictures of your work and enjoy the bank line!

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 4:14pm

I use very oddly shaped rocks and things (and I've tried split pouches and don't like them very much) so I was wondering, and forgot to say that instead of a normal split pouch I was thinking of making a woven Aussie pouch instead sort of thing from the tarred bank line. So how would I go about doing that? Sorry I'm asking so many questions it's just that I've never done anything like this before and it's very daunting.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 6:03pm

Drakolith wrote on Jan 31st, 2017 at 4:14pm:
I use very oddly shaped rocks and things (and I've tried split pouches and don't like them very much) so I was wondering, and forgot to say that instead of a normal split pouch I was thinking of making a woven Aussie pouch instead sort of thing from the tarred bank line. So how would I go about doing that? Sorry I'm asking so many questions it's just that I've never done anything like this before and it's very daunting.

An Aussie pouch sling typically requires a seat belt or some sort of webbing for the pouch. You could still use braided bank line for the cords if you want, just look up some braiding or tapering tutorials on here or on youtube and you can use this tutorial for the Aussie pouch portion.  http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1243340828/0

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark)