Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lil help? (Read 6910 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Re: Lil help?
Reply #15 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 10:15pm

Thanks. I think I can do this now except for one thing. I think I'm going to try to make a split pouch and full pouch (the amount of cord I'm getting seems like a lot so I can do it?) but I am still unsure of how to taper a sling to make it whip. But other than that I'll wait to ask questions until my materials come in.

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #16 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 2:37am

When I've tapered them I've just dropped out a cord at a time going from 6 to 5 to 4 ending with 3. The cord I've dropped I've simply cut leaving about a cm or half a cm and they hold fine.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #17 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 11:09pm

Alrighty! I got the tarred bank line in. So excited to make my first braided sling!! Grin

I like this tutorial http://www.slinging.org/articleimages/20/19.htm but I am not sure how leaving one cord out at equal intervals to make it taper would work because to me it looks like this braid needs all its cords?

And I'm guessing you would start to taper after the pouch on the release knot cord?

Also, I've come to the conclusion from some personal testing that I like a split pouch, but one who is a bit close together. Like this one sent to me by Teg for SITH. Any ideas on how I would be able to make the cords closer and less split like that simply? (Please take into consideration I have NO braiding experience, not even hair.) sorry in advance for the picture size  Undecided

image_016.jpeg (2053 KB | 62 )
image_016.jpeg

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #18 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 11:10pm

Closer

image_017.jpeg (1983 KB | 53 )
image_017.jpeg

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #19 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 11:11pm

Flat

image_018.jpeg (1752 KB | 79 )
image_018.jpeg

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #20 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 11:12pm

With finger under to show small gap

image_019.jpeg (1663 KB | 58 )
image_019.jpeg

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #21 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 5:02am

You braid from the fingerloop downwards, so you can make the split as long or as short as you like. You can't really control how narrow the gap is as that is more a product of the stiffness/material/thickness of the cords. You could ad whipping around the ends of the pouch to narrow it a bit though I suppose.

The sling you show in the image is actually woven pouch, not braided- so you can control the shape more. Looks similar to a rockman style pouch.

You can drop cords to taper, it doesn't need all of them to work. ie you can go from 4-4-4 to 4-4-3 to 4-3-3 to 3-3-3 to 3-3-2 etc for a 3 strand braid. To do it I generally just cut them off short and leave them sticking out, you can use a drop of superglue to seal if you like. Then trim at the end.

You taper after the pouch from what I've seen, no reason why you couldn't earlier but fat pouch braids seem to work better. Calculate how many cords you need to drop to get to desired ending thickness and divide it by the distance you have left to braid, then you can get a nice even taper.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #22 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 6:51am

Yes, this pouch I sent you is woven.

For a similar model see: https://sites.google.com/site/rockmansling/

Tapering is also described in this tutorial.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #23 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 6:57am

Just start to braid your sling without making yourself too many thoughts about it. From personal experience I know that the first one is always ugly  Wink. You will learn along the way as you make it and when you use it. Your second sling will be much better!

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #24 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 10:41am

Thanks! I'm going to use that tutorial. One last question before I start: if I want to make this as a 28 inch sling, how long should I first cut the cords?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #25 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 11:01am

Seems like you got bit by the slinging bug bad Drakolith. I like that sling you posted. Looks like it would work quite well.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #26 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 2:27pm

One day you'll wake up with 15+ slings and you're not quite sure what you're going to do with them. Trust me I know...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #27 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 3:46pm

So, anyone have a way to determine how long of lengths I need for thugs sling I want to make?  Embarrassed I'm so eager to make it but am stuck at this point! I'm trying to make it 28 inches btw.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #28 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 9:03pm

Use four times the total length for the cords and accommodate 15-20 feet for each woven colour(if you're using two).
So 56"x4 = 224". If you're folding at the finger loop then measure 448" or 37.33333 feet hahaha

usually I use three and a bit times the length but measure out 4 just to be safe.
I really like that sling.

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #29 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 11:50pm

Oh, wait nevermind the tutorial has a way to measure it on it. Well I'm going to start my first braided/woven sling tomorrow! And what's the difference between braided and woven?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15)