Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Early Spring in the United States (Read 2120 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Early Spring in the United States
Jan 24th, 2017 at 10:26am

This week I noticed my female Husky, Pandora, blowing her coat way early.  She is in full blow!! Max hasn't started yet.  I checked on facebook and it seems that this is happening all over the country.  So far this Winter has been extremely mild.  Just a couple of minutes ago I heard a Robin singing outside of my livingroom window. Robin's are NEVER wrong.  If they are they die.  So look for the rest of this Winter to be mild and look for a very early Spring this year, at least in America.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Early Spring in the United States
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 10:28am

There are also new leaves on my Butterfly Bush.

IP Logged

Alex.Ost
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Freiburg
Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 4:41pm

Well, for me its a completely different story. Last weekend i took the train to the famous "Titisee" close to Freiburg to hike and fling stones into the lake since it has quite a few spots with small stone "beaches".
And as i was passing the last houses blocking the view on the Titisee, i see the whole damn lake is frozen solid. And its a big lake (1,3 km²)
There were a lot of people on the lake, it was absurd.   People casually strolling over it, playing with their dog and iceskating  Shocked
So i just enjoyed a walk around the lake, on the lake

I took both pictures standing on the lake and looking at the lake. There is snow on top of the ice, but trust, me, in summer i couldnt stand there

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 6:33pm

Just the opposite here in the sw mnts. Cold (17) the last two nights, two feet of snow and lots of rain. Dry washes are now creeks  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Toby
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Nürnberg
Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 10:51am

I also noticed, that the birds sing like spring. But it has been also a lot of sun the last couple of days, but still quite cold.

:slinger:                                             Mad Monkey

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 10:02pm

Our weather is all over the place this spring.  Part of the state is still in a drought.  Supposed to have freezing weather here tonight.  My nectarine is blooming.  It blooms early every year, though.  In close to 15 years since I planted it, it has had fruit exactly once.

I am seeing some of the imported species starting to bud out.  Native stuff like red maple and willows, which are usually the first to bud are not showing any signs of budding out yet.

Keep in mind that I am in southern Alabama, which is semi tropical and that everything is usually in bloom by the first of March.  And I usually plant my tomatoes by the 15th of April, my first batch of corn by the 15th of March.  My peas go in the 1st of April.

Main problem right now is where my garden is, is about ankle deep.  It will need a week or so to finish drying out so I can break it with the tractor.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 6:40am

Haven't really had a good winter in Western New York yet. There was a week of sub- zero temps, but not a lot of snow. Been a lot of higher temps and rains. Alas, no snowshoeing.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 9:38am

Supposed to hit 88 here in Houston. Our winter this year consisted of a three day week end.  Huh

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 9:12pm

Hey RatMan, did you get caught in that blizzard?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 7:24am

RatMan, are you OK?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 9:00pm

The blizzard was a dud.  Most of it's power was the torrential rain that started in the wee hours. By the time it turned to snow we got maybe two inches, which quickly melted almost completely.  The good thing is that we got like 2 1/2 inches of badly needed rain.  My little lake is only like a foot low now.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 1:33pm

Glad you made it through OK.

Down here, tornado season has already started.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 2:26pm

We had a few tornados come through south of houston yesterday. Pretty good storm too.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:40am

I just saw Turkey Vultures the other day. We are not supposed to have them in New York in February.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #14 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 6:32am

Red winged black birds. Wrong, so wrong.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)