Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How much Material to use? (Read 717 times)
AndrewShepherd
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

How much Material to use?
Jan 21st, 2017 at 9:35pm

I am wanting to make a sling out of tarred bank line, using a 4 strand braid for the both cords, and maybe a 5 strand flat braid for the pouch, but my problem is, I can't figure out how much of the string to use, I just attempted it, but cut too little.

Is there any "equation" to use when deciding the length?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the sling I'm making is the balearic style.

IP Logged

Alex.Ost
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Freiburg
Re: How much Material to use?
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 6:08am

There is one method which says "triple the length as you would like it be when its finished". I think it is even from one of the Tutorials from this site.

I tried that once and wasted a couple of meters of Sisal because when i finished the pouch there was nearly no string left. So i wouldnt recommend using that technique.

For Balearic Slings i usually just cut the Strings to a lenght of 4-5 meters each. That way i always had enough to finish my Sling and didnt had to throw away too much material.
Thats for short-to-medium 5 braid Slings.

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Re: How much Material to use?
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 3:41pm

Most braids need 1.5 the finished length.   That doesn't work for weaving, which takes way more.  Also proper flat braids take more.  You also need to add extra for knots and when the cord becomes too short to braid. 

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man)