Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My first slings + any ideas for other types? (Read 2446 times)
JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
My first slings + any ideas for other types?
Jan 21st, 2017 at 6:59pm

Hi all,

I've now made three slings (see pics)- they all follow the same design, the bog standard paracord weaving type, as seen here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-QxP40FfNQ&t=188s

The first two were pretty much throwaway projects- I've used 8mm thick cord (the first thing I found in the local DIY shop) which has made the pouch very heavy duty with a real solid cup shape. Unfortunately the pouch is so solid, I don't think it works too well with anything other than very big, heavy rocks. The release is far too clunky and catches on lighter stuff, it's also too stiff to 'hug' most ammo.

For the third sling I acquired some 4mm paracord to make a lighter version. It seems to have worked reasonably well, although the ammo would have to be small and dense or it would fall out, so it's not so good for tennis balls ect

I'm looking to make some other types of sling in the future- what types are there out there? What would you recommend? I've seen split pouch, semi split pouch, braided, leather pouch, seatbelt pouches, woven pouch- my head is spinning!

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: My first slings + any ideas for other types?
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2017 at 9:23pm

Nice job. I started out with paracord slimgs, but find them to be too heavy. My EDC is a seat belt sling., buy I make split pouch 'rock man ' style, and solid pouch with moose, and elk hides and jute.

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 3:45am

If you have some extra paracord...

My last tennis ball sling, made with splices

OR if you have a plastic bag handy...

You are only limited by your imagination. There are a lot of good sling designs, I would make and try as many as possible to see what you like. Every one you make adds to your skill set!

Wink

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 4:09am

I use three types of pouch, one is an old slingshot pouch so completely flat, a Rockman style pouch and then split pouch for my braided efforts. I've found they all work week and are pretty easy to make and use and haven't really had any problems with them.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 7:42pm

I've many fancy slings but I cannot beat paracird and a simple leather split pouch for feel and performance.

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 12:38pm

Try a paracord and leather pouch sling.  Lots of good pouch designs here:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1344443925

If no leather, take a piece of canvas or other stout material and some duct tape.  I use duct tape and fabric to work out pouch designs.  Also, try to avoid the newbie mistake that I made of making the sling to long.  Some of my fist slings were over 40 inches long.  I find that a 32 inch sling is perfect (I am 6'2").

IP Logged

SlingerDave

Stop!!! Let me hide behind
this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 5:02pm

Considering man has had thousands of years to develop sling types and diverse materials to use, all of our collective heads spin just thinking of the variety that is out there!
For a beginner, I don't think anything beats a soft leather cupped full pouch. It can have cords of paracord tied on; or if you like to spruce thinks up, braid the cords to the pouch.

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 4:13pm

Thanks everyone for the great ideas, I think I'll try a bit of braiding as I still have about 85ft of paracord left and some of the braided slings look so nice. I'll see if I can get my hands on some leather for a pouch, the only issue is I'm limited for workspace and tools so anything with excessive crafting won't work too well.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 8:28am

Hey dude if you're going to use paracord to braid gut it first. Ie pull out the core so you're left with the hollow outside. I find it makes a very bulky sling if one uses paracord as is. It also makes a smoother braid!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 6:23pm

I've got my hands on-

500ft of nylon thread
2 rolls of sisal
2 rolls of jute

So far I've made a (very short, only 18 inch) sisal sling- mostly to practice braiding, and just today a nice 32 inch jute. Both are full braided split pouch and seem to work rather well with preliminary garden tests.

I've got a 1kg bag of scrap leather on the way so should be able to test some pouch designs too.

IMG_20170204_105651.jpg (3805 KB | 98 )
IMG_20170204_105651.jpg
IMG_20170204_231927.jpg (4152 KB | 73 )
IMG_20170204_231927.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick)