The Sling in War (Read 7060 times)
johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Re: The Sling in War
Reply #15 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 3:15pm

Note the stones between ranks and in hands....

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 7:37am

Interesting that the Assyrians show the slings in mid throw but the Roman or Greek (?) shows them holding the pouch in front of them in that very strange position. Is this position really what they used? Is the Greek throw that we all assume starts in that position really their throw or was it just the accepted way artists would depict a slinger at that time?

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #17 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 8:25am

i don't know how much we should base our ideas on ancient artistic depictions but look at the slings :
Greeks depict the two cords while the Assyrians depict one cord
could it be differences in sling types/ grips (wide vs narrow) / artistic preference?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #18 - Mar 7th, 2017 at 1:31pm

I agree. I'm more inclined to believe the Assyrian right off because their depiction shows them in formation , and the slings are quite short. Which may be logical considering you are swinging them near other people's heads. Maybe they weighed the benefit of tighter packed formation and increased shot speed over looser packed formation, slower reload but longer range.  All of that makes sense to me and you can make an argument for both.

Maybe the Greek position and hanging the ammo bag on the arm all makes perfect sense. The Greeks and Romans were well known for refined military tactics, so it's very possible they came up with something that offered an advantage. Unfortunately I really can't say what that would be based on those pictures.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 4:51pm

Bilder wie auf der Trajan Säule sind schlichtweg nicht möglich . Und auch nicht sinnvoll. Wir haben es mehrfach versucht. Sie tragen ihre Steine nicht in einem Mantel . Und in der selben Hand noch einen Schild. Das funktioniert nicht.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 7:04pm

Head Shot

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Huaraca
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #21 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 10:54am

Jaegoor, that is a great illustration!  Looks like a portrayal of the Philistine champion Goliath from the Bible.  Any ideas of where the painting is located? I can't read the Latin, but a higher resolution image might be helpful.

Of course one of the most prolific sling-using-armies was that of the Inca empire, and pre-Incaic civilizations too.  Protective padding of cotton and wool fabric as armor, clubs and spears for close range use, and the sling as the principal ranged weapon.  There are stories from the siege of Cuzco where red-hot sling stones were wrapped in pitch-soaked cloth.  This bundle would immediately begin to smoke and smolder, and then it would be slung, which would cause it to burst into flame due to the oxygen rushing in from the velocity of the hurl.  Such missiles were used to burn the thatched roofs and encampments of enemies, in this case, Spaniards and their allies in the capital.

In modern-day riots and insurrections, the vast majority of missiles are hand thrown... Nonetheless, with tear gas cannisters, baton rounds, and various counter-protesters thrown in, particularly in places where the sling remains in use, the sling turns up every now and then, although the sling shot seems much more common.

These dated images of the mob violence in Tahrir Square, Cairo show the extemporized protective headgear and shields--even pavises-- primarily to protect against hand-thrown stones.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/8301665/Protesters-im...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)