Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New sling making contest! (Read 4218 times)
Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

New sling making contest!
Jan 15th, 2017 at 5:00pm

I don't think I'll win this contest but I think it would be fun and  engaging for all forum members whether you compete or not.
We did it before but I think I dug up the wrong thread earlier....
Basically, members would have until a set date to submit a sling into this contest. Then we vote as a community on a couple diffrerent criteria. Artistry, originality of design, whether we think it would be functional.....

It would be fun to get us all involved in a single thread and it would encourage us to get the creative juices flowing. Winter is just not fun for me to sling in and I'm feeling inclined to try new ideas and revamp old ones.
One thing I would like to see for people who submit would be to have your own sling designs. Like if you do a rockman or apache or even tut style sling maybe try and tweak it so it's a design that's unique to you.
Who's in?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: New sling making contest!
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 2:56am

I'm up for it. It gives me a good excuse to make more slings Cheesy I mean I only have 15 so far...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 7:03am

don't do braided slings Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 8:20am

Sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot. What kind of time frame are you thinking Tomas?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 8:37am

No braided!? Damn well I'm out Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 8:52am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 16th, 2017 at 7:03am:
don't do braided slings Smiley

Do you mean you don't do braided slings or that the contest would be without braided slings?

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 8:53am

Morphy- first week of February might work well

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 10:25am

I don't make braided slings Smiley
I think they are often good to look at. But give me leather (or plastic) and paracord every time for actual slinging.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #8 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 1:11pm

In that case, I'm back in!

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #9 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 7:32pm

I do not think that we need any categories.  There are not a lot of us who post here.  If we have too many categories, we are going to end up like a bunch of grandmothers scouring the county fair, looking for obscure pie categories.  I still remember when Granny Raja came home w/ the blue ribbon for her infamous (and inedible) crab-apple cabbage pie. 

"But Granny Raja," I implored, "the only thing worse than your crab-apple cabbage pie are your Marmite mushroom scones.  How ever did you win the blue ribbon?" 

"Well Blue, I was the only entry in that category."

Enough of Granny Raja and her crab-apple cabbage pies (and most definitely her Marmite mushroom scones).  I think that this is a great idea. We should all just submit an entry and vote for the best sling.  To paraphrase US S. Ct. Justice Potter Stewart, we will know it (the best sling) when we see it.

IP Logged

Alex.Ost
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Freiburg
Reply #10 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 1:06pm

Im up for it too.
I agree with Blue Raja, we shouldnt create categories, there arent many people here anyway who are going to participate so let us keep it open. Otherwise we´ll only have 2 Slings per Categorie or something

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #11 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 3:12am

Yeah maybe that would be better. It's all in good fun anyway so I don't mind my wonky braided effort going up against a paracord sling Cheesy

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 5:56pm

As the lucky SITH recipient of one of your braided slings, I would scarcely call it wonky!  How about "carefully crafted with enhanced aerodynamic properties?"

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #13 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 3:02am

Let's not get too carried away! Cheesy Thanks though! I found one of my first braided slings just yesterday and let me tell you that one IS wonky. I'm surprised how much better I've got...

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 7:35am

I still look back on my early braided slings and wonder how it's possible to braid something so ugly. I'm so glad I left the braiding rat race behind. I think it's truly a path to inner peace. Might have to start my own religion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)