Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinging from Western Australia. (Read 1072 times)
TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Slinging from Western Australia.
Jan 12th, 2017 at 8:19am

For some reason, I always have long introductions... so here is a TL;DR version:

I am a beginner, have only slung twice in my life, I've just made clay bullets and I'm from Western Australia.

Long Version:

I am a beginner, I've only got one crude sling that I made from string and a thin leather piece for the pouch. I've been meaning to get around to slinging for a few months, but never got into it until now. Angular stones suck... or maybe that's just me!

I have made twelve clay glandes that I hope to sling, with a variance between 20 and 98 grams by each individual projectile. The 20 gram one is a cylindrical ball that I added a small hole in the centre, to hopefully make it 'whistle', of course fine-tuning is probably necessary in order to get it to do that.

I have three cylindrical ones that weight about 28-29 grams each, and five biconical ones that weight about 40-80 grams each (With different levels of fatness), with four larger biconicals that are roughly 80-90 grams, and the biggest one that weights 98 grams (The GTFOH stone!).

They have not been baked yet, don't have a kiln and I cannot use fire... so I might use the oven.

But I'll probably just use tennis balls to sling around for a start. For one, Western Australian weapon rules are a little 'vague'... so better safe than sorry. I mean, what's to stop a police officer from saying "That's a Slingshot!" which are banned here.

But regardless, I'm going to sling no matter what! (Just hopefully when the cop's aren't around)

And If you've managed to go through all that, thank you. Hopefully my comments aren't all this big.  Wink

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Slinging from Western Australia.
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 9:17am

Welcome Jackinati. Tennis balls work well. A good compromise between clay and tennis balls are those small ones made for dogs. They tend to be denser. They sling well and can be filled with something to make them even denser while still having the nonthreatening look of a tennis ball.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 10:01am

Welcome!

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 11:18am

Thank you Morphy, I will try that.

Hopefully soon I'll be able to go down to these salt-flats that nobody really uses except for sandsurfing/sandboarding. It's big, flat and my tennis balls will be easy to spot, and I won't be liable to 'brain' anyone in the vicinity.

IP Logged

SlingerDave

Stop!!! Let me hide behind
this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 10:22pm

Greetings Jackinati, I think we all started with a string and leather sling and it does the job well enough. Tennis balls are the way to go while learning the ropes, and I'm glad you are concerned with others safety including your own. It is possible to "brain" yourself!!! Shocked( I have seen it, long story...) Anyways, welcome.

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)