Send Topic Print
Making a new sling. (Read 929 times)
Bueron
Tiro

Upset that Runescape removed
the sling!

Making a new sling.
Dec 15th, 2016 at 12:23am

Okay, first of all, I looked through the search function to make sure no applicable previous discussions existed. I am looking to make a new sling purely out of leather, and here is what I am considering:

-using round genuine leather lace (thickest/strongest I can find at the craft store),
-Previous idea, only stranding several cords together to make it stronger.
-simply doubling up a cord, so I have a 2 foot plus loop coming from the pouch that I can put knots in for neatness, doubling my strength.

Or

-Using a 3/4" strip of leather (1 and 1/2 inch cut in half) from my local craft store.

or

-A single piece sling made from the strongest, heaviest strap of leather I can buy (excluding typical belt material, tried it, too hard!).

What is your opinion? I can not order materials in atm, and michaels craft store is the closest one to me, and they have all the required materials (I believe). I know not to use shoe lace, as those are typically brittle for some reason, but genuine leather lace looks fairly strong.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Making a new sling.
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 2:02am

Tomas recently posted his all leather sling made from one piece (and my one is on its way to me as we speak... type... You know what I mean) so he's probably the man to speak to.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 10:05am

there are quite a few all leather threads around.
you probably need to change your options in the search box.

the one that makes the most difference is towards the bottom:
'This post was made in the last:'

Bt default it has week - which won't ever find much.  Change it to all posts and you'll find more stuff.
Also tick the box right at the bottom that says:
display only one result per thread.

That way you get more actual threads rather than lost of posts in the same thread.

Those two changes make it a very useful search engine. Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bueron
Tiro

Upset that Runescape removed
the sling!

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 1:02pm

alright, thank you, I am a bit new to forums Smiley. Do you wish for me to delete this post?

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 10:24am

Hey dude,
Leather laces usually have a lot of stretch in them so I don't recommend them for what you're after. You could make one out of a belt but it would be a very short sling if you wanted it to be out of one continuous piece. It would also have to be a nice quality belt which would be a waste in my opinion.
I really like leather pouches but it can be tricky trying to get good quality leather cords. You could maybe go to a saddler or motorcycle leather person to source out some nice stuff.
Inbox me with questions and I'll do my best to help ya

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)