Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ice balls (Read 3233 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Ice balls
Dec 11th, 2016 at 7:15am

I found this on Amazon and I think you can guess what I would want to do with ice balls...

That's right put them in my drink on a hot day.

On a cold day however I was thinking this would be a goo way of getting identical, easy to make, eco friendly, disposable ammo. What do you guys think?

https://www.amazon.com/Maker-Release-Flexible-Silicone-Spheres/dp/B00V2T0PSA/ref...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

SlingerDave

Stop!!! Let me hide behind
this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Re: Ice balls
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 8:17am

And it's on sale too! Wonder what the density of the ice spheres are?

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 8:46am

I've just seen they don't ship to Finland. Damn. Still there seem to be plenty of different examples so I'll be able to find one somewhere.

From my own experiments with snowballs I would think they would be dense enough to be fairly good ammo. It would be better if they were more sling bullet shaped but I think the only way that would happen is if there is some kind of novelty one in the shape of a rugby or American football ball. I might have a look around to see if I can find one.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 3:12pm

I have a mould on the way. This one to be precise:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whiskey-Cocktails-Round-Ice-Balls-Maker-Tray-Four-Larg...

I'll let you guys know how it does and if they are any good.

IP Logged

Barefoot slinger
Tiro

Slinging is an experience.
Cherish it

Québec
Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2016 at 9:07pm

I dont konw if they will be too slippery

Look at how far I can throw this rock!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 5:12am

That could be a problem but I think with a deep enough pouch they should be held well enough.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 10:45am

In freezing weather, and with a good pouch, I don't think you will have to worry about slippery.

It's on the warmer days when the ice is melting some that they will probably be pretty slippery in the pouch.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 4:09am

The mold has arrived and I've made some ice balls! I think I over filled it a bit so I had to break off some lumps from the side of the balls to round them out properly but I'm really quite impressed. They all weigh about the same, between 42 and 44g, and really do look like decent sling ammo. I quickly tried out how they sit in various styles of pouch I have and really no problems so far. The big test of course is actually throwing them. Hopefully I'll be able to try them out later today, it's minus degrees with a lot of snow on the ground so perfect time for a snow ball fight Cheesy

IP Logged

SlingerDave

this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 8:33am

Awesome! We are all curious for the results. Which styles of pouches have you tested?

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 9:32am

I tried one of C_A's 3D printed slings which I think is called a butterfly pouch? I also tried one of the newest slings I've made which you can find actually in the Pictures of Slings and Slinging topic with the braided split pouch with one extra string in the middle (just because I was using a seven strand braid so had a spare string) and then a woven flat pouch. They all seemed pretty good. Because C_A's pouch is plastic it was a little bit slidey but I don't know how much of an effect it will have on release so will have to wait and see. The other two held pretty well but I don't know if I trust the flat pouch. I really don't want one of these balls landing on my head. I'm sure my leather slings (flat pouch, Rockman and then a new riveted cupped pouch also from C_A for SITH which I haven't tested out yet) would hold them great but I didn't really want to get them wet so the plastic and braided ones will be my weapons of choice. Also when fresh out of the freezer they are a bit sticky (think freezing metal pole and someone's tongue) and I REALLY don't want them sticking to a leather pouch whilst I'm using them.

They do seem to be the perfect size and I really want to test them out but it will have to be later in the week. The good thing about this is that it means I will have more ammo by then Cheesy I'm already up to 12 balls in quite a short amount of time. I'm also thinking that these balls, being so thick, would actually take quite a long time to melt even on a mild day so these could be a year round ammo at least to a point Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 10:47am

Finally (FINALLY) got a chance to test out some of these ice balls and...

They work great! Fly really well, good weight, not too slippy even in the plastic pouch and left the pouch nice and cleanly. I was simply slinging into the distance on a field and into a nearby river but I did also try one against a tree to see how they fair against a target and it seems (as I guessed would happen) that they shatter quite spectacularly. Hopefully next week I'm going to try them out against a cardboard target and see what they can do against that. So far, this whole "ice ball ammo" thing has been a total success Cheesy

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 11:07am

We've actually had some below freezing weather where I live.  So, ice balls would work nicely right now.  However, by Wednesday, it's supposed to be much warmer and back to shirt sleeve weather.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #12 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 11:29am

Yeah the cold is retreating quick over here as well. It was -25C on Thursday and today it was as warm as 0C. I think these could still work alright though even in mild weather because they're quite large.

IP Logged

SlingerDave

this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #13 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 8:45pm

Glad to hear the happy results of the expirement.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy)