Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: The forgotten throw
Reply #15 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 6:27am

define underhand.

Straight vertical rotations to release is pure underhand.
But you could also class balearic and sidearm as sort of underhand throws.

The classic spin vertically to release is actually a very good style for many things.
Unbeatable if you want height or to clear a tall object.

For sling golf it's also very effective, what you lose in absolute distance you gain in straight line throws. Not easy with a golf ball. 

It's also excellent for anyone with arm or shoulder issues, I tend to mostly just use my wrist.

And it's the ideal way to start beginners as it teaches them to use the sling to throw the ball and not their arm.

It's also good for lobbing very heavy missiles without the joint strain you'd get with any other style.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 10:15am

johan wrote on Dec 10th, 2016 at 4:49pm:
Dan wrote on Dec 10th, 2016 at 2:50pm:
Underhand _____________(Target)
Overhand
               /
             /
(Target)/

i didn't understand.

If you have a 30 inch sling, with overhead throws, the rock will have to go towards your target from a spot approximately 30" above your head. If the target is on the ground, you have to account more for latitudinal variation than with underhand.

The rock from an underhand throw would leave the sling about a foot off the ground and if your target is a foot off the ground, it only has to release straight, plus, if it lands short it will likely bounce right into it.

I would like to see a strong/powerful "strict" underhand throw from someone, because as CA said, I tend to make it more Balearic than anything in order to engage the hips more.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #17 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 10:28am

This thread has certainly peeked my interest so when I next go out I'll try it. I'll use a cardboard box target so it should give a fairly good (though not exactly scientific) idea of the sort of power you can get. I'll post up the details and measurements as best as I can get them. Of course, like I said, I am very far from an expert generally and especially with this throw but it could still be useful I guess.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #18 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 11:06am

Looking forward to seeing it KTO.

C_A, straight vertical rotations to release. Yep, that's exactly what I was referencing.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #19 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 7:49am

Here is Christian showing his distance underhand style...

https://youtu.be/kSJXM9fbbw0

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #20 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 11:43pm

I use underhand when casting over water. lakes large rivers. I find it enjoyable to watch the high loping shotscome down to the water. it just seems like there is mmore hang time with the underhand

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)