Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The forgotten throw (Read 3942 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

The forgotten throw
Dec 9th, 2016 at 10:45am

Ok, so the underhand is not forgotten but that's so much more dramatic than the seldom-used throw. Anyhow, what do you guys think about the underhand? It has some weaknesses to be sure. Especially for hunting or field slinging but for target throwing I've always thought that the mechanics involved are almost ideal.

1, it stays in vertical line with the target, eliminating alot of the side to side variation. Two, it doesn't have to cross over from the far side of your body like the figure-8 does which causes some lateral momentum to come into play and C,  it's a very simple throw which could lead to easier consistency.

What say you guys?

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: The forgotten throw
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 11:05am

Well I think the overhand has those same qualities but is more powerful and (in my opinion) easier to aim. I still sometimes use underhand just for the variety but I don't know what extra it offers other than perhaps the historical use of throwing in a high arc to rain down shots near vertically.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

SlingerDave

Stop!!! Let me hide behind
this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 11:20am

I guess the way I have viewed the underhand technique is that for me I don't practice with it much because I favor longer slings that don't lend well to the style. But all those pros you mention are very true. Looks like something new to experiment with.

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:24pm

I've practiced it a fair bit with a single rotation. I really like it. It does have power and it's quick and intuitive. Only thing I've noticed is that it often turns into a low Balearic kinda movement for me.
One thing about underhand is that it is easier on your shoulder and elbow. Ergonomics def come into play with the amount of practice necessary to become good at slinging.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 4:38pm

That's true as well about the sling length. It's incredibly difficult to pull off effectively with a long or medium sling. I don't often practice with my short ones but maybe I should Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 9:16pm

Underhand is not necessarily vertical. You are throwing underhand out to 45%. I throw farther with little effort using a f8 underhand that I learned from one of Aussie's backyard vids. btw, that f8 is all off to my right side  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Blue Raja
Descens

Rediscovering An Ancient
Skill

Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 1:19am

My goal is to play golf w/ a sling. I use some variant of an underhanded throw.  It seems the most natural to me.  I am not getting much distance at this point.  I am 6'2" and I measure my sling strings from the center of my chest to the end of my fingers (with my arm extended straight out).  After reading the comments, I will try a shorter sling

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 2:27pm

walter wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 9:16pm:
Underhand is not necessarily vertical.

i agree
Morphy wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 10:45am:
It has some weaknesses to be sure. Especially for hunting or field slinging

i can't see why it's bad for those purposes.

about consistency /accuracy :it's just practice

i use underhand styles when i want a fast (or no)wind up without stride,(walking and hurling) low power .
i would prefer it for a moving target although i use fig-8 variables at most of my practice which is higher power since it has a stride.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 2:50pm

My personal throwing style isn't too far off from underhand already so if I just really don't want to loose ammo or if my target is really close to the ground I think underhand is a legitmate style. Perhaps underutilized but, having taught begginers, I've also seen rocks go straight up in the air so I can see why it isn't always used:
It also has the advantage over figure 8 because its trajectory is more like below.

Underhand _____________(Target)
Overhand
               /
             /
(Target)/

Obviously this is a bit of an exaggeration but the concept still applies.

Personal throwing style for newer members: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaeMh8JvQNc&t=5s

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 3:04pm

That's true about fig 8. I need way more practice with it but I've found it goes really high whenever I use it. It's certainly down to my technique but the potential for a really high shot is much greater than say Byzantine which is what I usually use.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 4:49pm

Dan wrote on Dec 10th, 2016 at 2:50pm:
Underhand _____________(Target)
Overhand
               /
             /
(Target)/

i didn't understand.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 6:00pm

walter wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 9:16pm:
Underhand is not necessarily vertical. You are throwing underhand out to 45%. I throw farther with little effort using a f8 underhand that I learned from one of Aussie's backyard vids. btw, that f8 is all off to my right side  Smiley

That's exactly what im talking about:)
I think a strict underhand is probably inefficient for how our body moves since we twist at the hips etc but I coming from the bottom and sweeping up is a great and effective throw. It does seem to swing out to the side a bit but I am a fan

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 7:39pm

It feels inefficient for me to do a true underhand but those fast pitch soft ball players prove that a true underhand can be quite effective when done well. If they can apply the same movement to a sling it might be very effective.

@Parmenion- I used to hunt with the sling every once and awhile and if you are  in the forest with sticks and tall grass it makes it difficult to use a true underhand throw because of how close it goes to underlying brush. This is true where I was anyways where branches and bunches of weeds were all over.  Maybe some areas are easier.  For me even a 24 inch sling  would've been inpossible.

IP Logged

SlingerDave

Stop!!! Let me hide behind
this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:01pm

Quote:
I think underhand is a legitmate style. Perhaps underutilized but, having taught begginers, I've also seen rocks go straight up in the air so I can see why it isn't always used:

I know precisely what you mean. Five years ago I was teaching a fellow boy scout to sling before one of our meetings began. We were 150 feet away from the building where the meetings took place. Ammo was from a convenient black walnut tree (the only walnut tree in the area); the scout did a few relaxed rotations underhand, tensed up during the release and sent the walnut anywhere but forward. In the meantime, the scoutmaster walked out the building, heard a smack on the sheet metal roof, and a walnut falls and rolls at his feet.
Single rotation overhand is the way to go for beginners; kill a shoulder, save a window.

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 5:16am

Es gibt ein paar historische Bilder , wo man diese Methode sehen kann. Ich selbst benutze sie für Anfänger.  Man hat weniger Power. Aber das ist gut . Schießen sie mit Overhand auf Vögel, dann schreddern sie das Tier. Sie werden nicht viel von ihrer Beute haben. Das selbe gilt für Kaninchen. Ich traf einmal ein Kaninchen mit voll Power. Der Schuss riß denn Kopf des Tieres ab. Bei meinen wurfscheiben, verwende ich 1,5 bis 2cm dicke spanplatten. Der Stein macht ein loch in die platte. Schauen sie sich das Video an.
Es ist aber nicht einfach auf bewegliche Ziele zu schießen mit dieser Methode.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)