Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Historical fiction featuring slings. (Read 1263 times)
Frothgar
Tiro

What one man can do, another
can do!

Poconos, PA
Historical fiction featuring slings.
Dec 9th, 2016 at 10:22am

Hey all,

So I've been reading a lot of Bernard Cornwell's Grail Quest series recently(great stuff BTW, Heartily recommended) and he spins a great yarn of the hundred years war from the perspective of a common English Archer. Its the kind of gritty, down in the mud, war story that I love.

So my question is, has anyone found any historical fiction novels (hell, I'll even take fantasy) that features Slings or Slingers?

Ill Start,

The Ten Thousand.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028UBFGS/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=...

Picked it up at my first job stocking shelves in an A&P. Has a great (though small) part that details the equipment and methods of a group of Rhodian staff slingers.

IP Logged

SlingerDave

Stop!!! Let me hide behind
this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Re: Historical fiction featuring slings.
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 11:31am

I have one, my favorite book, The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper. Most people wouldn't think of finding a sling in a book set in 1757 New York during the French and Indian War, but there is one. Cooper doesn't go into great detail describing it, but he does do justice in giving it credit as a capable weapon. Look it up sometime, highly recommend it (original, unabridged); the sling comes in during the last few chapters.

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 6:31am

Lion of Ireland, by Morgan Llewellyn. It tells the story of High King Brian Boru of Ireland. Many of the early battle scenes feature slinging.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Frothgar
Tiro

What one man can do, another
can do!

Poconos, PA
Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 3:58pm

Thanks,

I tried reading last of the Mahicans a couple years ago. Never got far, It is ponderous. Ill have to give it another go.

I read the Druids By Morgan llewelyn, liked it. ill definitely look this one up.

IP Logged

SlingerDave

this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:03pm

The first few chapters do start off slow, but the story speeds up as you go along. Also, the tale broadens the scope of  literary understanding and heightens the expanse of potential vocabulary. (Translation, you may need a dictionary at first, but you might find the wording mixing into your own speech. Grin )

You know your a slinger when your youth pastor's nickname for you is Five Smooth.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 4:20am

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 5:21pm

A children's book Runs with Horses features apache slinging,  there's books like clan of the cave bear series ofc, last of the breed by louis lamour(sp.?),  idk anyhting else  Cheesy

IP Logged

SlingerDave

this tree first.

San Antonio, Tx
Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 7:24pm

Oh yeah, it's not historical fiction, but the second book in the My Side of the Mountain series has a sling. The series is about a boy who runs away from his home in New York City to live on his family's abandoned farm in the Catskills mountains. It is written at a children's comprehension level, but the author knew what she was writing about concerning wilderness survival/primitive skills which enjoyably surprising.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15)