Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New hobby, knife making (Read 2761 times)
vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
New hobby, knife making
Dec 4th, 2016 at 9:48am

A few months ago I met up with a local knife maker, he took me under his wing to show me the ropes.  He is a hobby knife maker of 20+years. He also make primitive bows and soon I will be learning how to make those as well. Here is some of my work.  I started out with steel  stock and doing cutouts, finding scrap metal, and just started using old lawnmower blades.  I have done kephart style, nessmuk, TANTO style machete. I dye and sew the leather sheaths as well. Use antler, bones,  and some exotic woods. I have about 4 currently in the beginning stage, I am still working on.  I also make ferro rods, and gear towards bushcraft.

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2016 at 7:35pm by Mauro Fiorentini »  
IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: New hobby, knife making
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 9:55am

Not sure why my pics flip, I am not technology savy enough to edit all of that. If anyone mod and edit it. Thanks. Alll my pis are from my phone, so not sure why so large. .  This is my first one.

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2016 at 7:37pm by Mauro Fiorentini »  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 4:36pm

Nice.  It's exactly the perfect hobby for guys.

Because... 

It's got fire.

It involves beating on something.

There's lots of noise.

You're using tools...and power tools.

You're making weapons.

What's not to like?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 5:03pm

I totally agree 100%. I don't have much of my own gear at the moment
I do most of my work at my mentor's place. Once I have my own workshop and equipment.  I will be doing this more, try to make it as a career or something.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 6:46pm

Looks like someone is in love with tantos and Nordic knives styles  Cheesy
Nice knives and nice working place.
May I suggest to use smaller rivets for the handles? the bigger they are, the higher is the risk that they split the handle under stress.
Which kind of coal are you guys using? Fossil one?

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 7:56pm

Thanks for the info. Only reason we used those riverts. They were 1/4in. The blade is 15in and the handle was 4in. 19in overall. It was a knife that someone had started it. I found it, and finished it. It's also very thick about 1/4in thick steel. Currently we are using a propane forge, but in the spring time my mentor is bringing out his coal forge

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 8:33pm

Ok. Fossil coal is good and relatively cheap. Can be found easily and grants high temperatures for long time even if it takes long to ignite.
Natural coal is divided in 2 types, hard wood and resin wood.
Hard wood (eg. oak and similar) gives you the highest temperature, lasts reasonably but is hard to find and not cheap (around 1 Euro a kilo).
Resin wood is not good to forge cause it delivers low temperature even if lasts long.

Careful using hard wood coal cause you can melt iron with it, you better use fossil coal at the beginning  Smiley

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 8:41pm

I am not sure what kind of coal we will be using, but next time I see him. I will definitely ask.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 11:50am

I have a large metal can with a tight fitting top.  When drought conditions lift and the outdoor fire ban is lifted, I plan to make my own charcoal.  I have willow, (which I plan to try to make black powder or actually gun meal out of) ((For the matchlock I'm building)) oak and pecan handy.  I actually have a variety of other trees but that would require cutting them down.  The parts I plan to use are limbs that have fallen from the trees.

Some of those limbs are larger than your upper leg, so some splitting will be required when I cut them to length.

Or should I leave them that large? 

I have used the commercial stuff and like Mauro says, it leaves a lot to be desired.  It will work, but barely, you have to use a lot and keep a constant stream of air on it and the ashes build up very quickly and require lots of stirring and shaking.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 12:51pm

When life calms down for me, and I settle in a new place, where I can get a workshop and gear. I plan 9n making my own charcoal as well. From what I have read, hardwoods are the best.  The reason I am gonna learn the coal forge, is if anything happens  (ex: power outage, or some sort of a TSHF) senerio.  I will be able  to still work. I am like a lot of us here, a history buff. So learning tge old ways, very appealing to me.  I would be able to.make tools as well.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 3:13pm

I like the bone handled one and the first one - the rest, not so much (does that hand wobbling gesture).
Each to their own Smiley

But cool stuff anyway Thumbs Up

Watched another couple forged in fire last night. Guy who won the second one used nothing but dirt basic hand tools and his 'forge' (for want ofa better word) was initially a saucepan, which proved too small so he cut a chunk out of an old satellite dish for more cooking area.
Made a real rustic but effective viking battle axe and beat the guy who had the all singing and dancing tooled up workshop.

Fascinating to see what can be done with such limited resources.

One of our members makes some truly exceptional knives (see if I can find the thread) 
This is the one I bought: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1381591178

well I'm buggered if I can find any trace of the thread he posted his knives in originally, or in fact any trace of his username anywhere.
If I didn't have the knife I'd think I'd been imagining things noidea

I have definitely strayed deep into the:

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 3:40pm

The guy you are referring to. Is in my home state. He is awesome.  He actually goes to the Philippines every year to teach people how to blacksmith. Since I am new to this, I been trying my hand at all different styles. That knife you have looks awesome

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:34pm

Bill, this is the model of a "ncotta".
"Ncotta" is the way mountain men in my region used to make coal until not long ago.

You can see how they used to build a kind of a pyramid with the bigger logs in the center and the smaller ones all around.
They then lit a fire in the middle and let it burn - with no flames - for days.
Once all the wood is burnt, you get the coal.
They used to do "ncottas" indoor, inside tiny chambers made of simple metal sheets.

The guy I used to buy my oak coal from was a 92 years old boy who periodically took his tractor and his axe and went up in the mountains to cut some wood... and then he made the wood pyramid all by himself too  Shocked
That coal was worthless  Smiley

And there he is, at work. My good old friend Venanzio, the "carbonaio" (coal maker):

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:43pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 3:13pm:
Fascinating to see what can be done with such limited resources.

Boss...... I agree!

I melted iron (went over 1.500° C - don't know how much it is in Farenheit) and forged around 50 knives using this tiny hole in the ground...

I've been inspired by guys like them:

All you need to start is a leather bag (really, you can use any woman's bag if the leather is soft enough - AND if the Lady agree) to make the bellows, an iron pipe to inflate the air and either a small pit or a couple of bricks to keep the temperature if you're not willing to dig. Plus a hammer, a railroad section that you'll use as an anvil, and thongs.
And you're done  Wink

Ancient Aegyptians made it even easier: no bellows but 6 guys blowing in wooden pipes to raise the fire.
Which is really a cheap way to have your forge working, assuming that you can count on 6 slaves.  Grin

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:50pm

That is awesome,  thanks for the pics and insight into other cultures

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus)