Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Swiss Arrow Question (Read 2773 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Swiss Arrow Question
Dec 3rd, 2016 at 6:03pm

I know (and have read many of the threads) that Swiss arrows have come up before on the forum and I'm really interested in having a go myself and I was thinking of simply buying some fairly cheap arrows and cutting a notch in them but I can't seem to find any mention of other people doing this, most of them making their own arrows from scratch. Have I missed something important that means this won't work? Is it to do with lengths/weights/materials? Any help would be appreciated.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Swiss Arrow Question
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 7:59pm

A normal arrow is too light and the shaft too small.  And it's too short.  Try a wooden dowel around 10mm to 12mm and slightly over a meter long to a meter and a half.

You can go a little thicker on the shaft if you want but the thicker the shaft, the heavier the point will have to be.

Make your fletching out of duct tape.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 2:02am

Ok great thanks. I thought it might be because of that. Smiley

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 3:15pm

I've made a Swiss Arrow! Well the string bit... In the picture I used just a random piece of wood that I know is way too thick and way too short, just to test whether the button would hold well enough and generally how it holds up and it's looking good! I made it from a re purposed sling that I rebraided to remove the pouch and then added the button as the knot was way to small. All I need now are some proper arrows to see if this works...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 3:26pm

weird. when we did it as kids. We just carved a shallow groove all round the stick.
the string just had  aknot on the end.
You laid the end of string in the groove, held it tight and hooked the string over the knot. As long as the string is kept taught it holds and obviously when you throw it's just cleanly released.

So what's with the botton ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 3:33pm

Well just a plain piece of string was just a bit too boring for me Cheesy Also this string is super thin. I would have had to triple knot it to get even a slightly big enough knot so I thought this was a more elegant solution. Of course this is all hypothetical. It might be I've completely over built it, it gets tangled up and is rubbish but I need some arrows before I can know that.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 2:55pm

Looking forward to this being finished. I'm not sure if we have a good video posted on slinging.or of a Swiss arrow in action. Hint... hint.. I plan on posting a video of a more refined version of a weapon I made a while back and seeing your video might get me more motivated.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 3:34pm

I don't know about video. I only have my phone and it's not great for video but I'll see what I can do. The other problem is trying to convince someone to film for me with it being minus degrees outside...

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 6:07pm

Understood. Had to ask. Lol

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 6:33am

buy a tripod,or make a tripod (three sticks lashed at the top) stick the phone on that and video yourself Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 9:12am

I'll McGyver a solution somehow Cheesy Considering how busy I am at the moment though it's looking like it'll have to be after Christmas. I will get it done though eventually.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)